Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-12-2007   #1
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Cold Pizza

They will talk about Car and Plummer I will report anything they say.Hopefully it will be fact not opinion.
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #2
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Re: Cold Pizza

not much says Houston WANTS to get rid of Carr, and they want Plummer, but he has to want to come here if the trade were to happen. Denver and Houston both can afford it and they wont get rid of Carr unless they have someone to replace him. but if they dont get Plummer they still want to get rid of Carr. So in short he is up for trade and the teams are talking now.....thats what i got out of it.......what do you think will be involoved with a trade like this, i dont think the just give Plummer for nothin, i think they want something of value....
Old 02-12-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get it.
Plummer knows he needs Kubiak.
Denver cannot afford/would be stupid to keep Plummer on their roster

Why are we offering them anything for him? Why not just wait until he's cut?
Old 02-12-2007   #4
amazingandre
All Pro

what if they pull a detroit on him and not cut him....then what....plummer is stuck and we have carr(which im not opposed to)
Old 02-12-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they're just basing this on McClains article, which is speculation also.
Old 02-12-2007   #6
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't get it.

The problem is Denver already has a replacement for Plummer, we don't have a replacement for Carr or at least not a proven one. I like Rosenfels, but he is time tested yet.

Also, Since Denver doesn't need Carr; he's not trade bait to them. Carr would be just another high salary.

Keeping Carr for another year has really screwed things up.

If I were GM, I'd keep Carr for now. Let him play the preseason in a backup roll and dominated against second-string player in the second half of games. Then when a major QB goes down next year, then offer Carr as trade bait. Granted I have no idea what the cap implications are in this scenario.

Either way, we are going to still have QB problems next year unless Sage, a rookie, or another unknown FA steps up.

Anyway, here's
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that with Carr or without Carr we have QB questions .

The thing is if you go with another QB you answer questions about the rest of your team .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2007   #8
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

we shouldn't trade for plummer, and we should keep carr. If plummer gets cut, bring him in, and cut one right before the season, have them battle it out.
Old 02-12-2007   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
we shouldn't trade for plummer, and we should keep carr. If plummer gets cut, bring him in, and cut one right before the season, have them battle it out.
Salary Cap.

Plummer's not going to play for peanuts.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #10
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Salary Cap.

Plummer's not going to play for peanuts.
If Plummer is traded his $7+ million salary goes with him. If he is cut you can negoitate a new salary before signing him. Shanahan has said they will get something for Plummer and can't imagine letting him go for nothing. Shanahan also said keeping Plummer is not out of the question and wouldn't be bad thing to do so.
Old 02-12-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't get it.

On the contrary. It appears it'd be in the Broncos best interest to keep Plummer. They're in the same boat we are with Carr. IMO, a little worse off. Here are a few snippets from an article a while back.

Quote:
if the team cut the veteran before June 1, it would take a salary-cap hit of $8,556,000 for the 2007 season.
Quote:
If the Broncos cut Plummer after June 1, the cap hit would be over two years - $2,852,000 in 2007 and $5,704,000 in 2008.
Quote:
Because Plummer's salary-cap figure for 2007 is $8,605,000, to cut him after June 1 would give the Broncos $5,704,000 in cap room this year that currently isn't on the books.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...303726,00.html
Old 02-12-2007   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
On the contrary. It appears it'd be in the Broncos best interest to keep Plummer.
I don't see how you read that. Unless the Broncos get a very good draft pick in return, it's in the Broncos best interest to cut Plummer and take the cap hit over 2 seasons. I can't see the Broncos (or the Texans) paying over $5 million in salary to a backup QB.
Old 02-12-2007   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't see how you read that. Unless the Broncos get a very good draft pick in return, it's in the Broncos best interest to cut Plummer and take the cap hit over 2 seasons. I can't see the Broncos (or the Texans) paying over $5 million in salary to a backup QB.
True, but if he were to stay on as a back up, it'd give the Broncos some sort of payback for the guaranteed money. Either way you look at it, whether it be the Texans or Broncos, they're going to take a substantial hit. Whether it be cap space or draft picks.

Would you rather pay the 5 million to a back up? Or to a player no longer on the roster? In order to compensate for that amount of money being paid to the player, a team that wanted the player would have to give up way too much.

I do not know a whole lot about salary cap issues. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. At least fill me in on why I'm wrong.
Old 02-12-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

denver and us both are in a bad position with our qb's. only its their expensive back up and our expensive starter.

don't forget that if they stay...its not just the guaranteed money they get but also their salary..which is 5 or 6 million per year.

in our case David will be paid 5mil. salary + 2 mill bonus in 2007 and then like 6mil salary and 2 mil. bonus in 2008. if we cut/trade him don't we just pay 4mill. in 2007 or 2mil in 07 and 2mil in 08??

so yes we still pay 4 million dollars for say a 3rd rd draft pick + that players salary. but we dont pay the 11million dollar salary to carr over two years. am i making sense or looking at it correctly?

either way we're spending a lot of money.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I do not know a whole lot about salary cap issues. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. At least fill me in on why I'm wrong.
As stated in the article you cited, the Broncos can realize $5.7 million in cap relief this year by releasing Plummer. That's a very good FA pickup. Wouldn't the cap room be better served in that manner, as opposed to a grouchy, complaining, veteran backup QB who doesn't want to be there? How could that be good for Cutler?
Old 02-12-2007   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
As stated in the article you cited, the Broncos can realize $5.7 million in cap relief this year by releasing Plummer. That's a very good FA pickup. Wouldn't the cap room be better served in that manner, as opposed to a grouchy, complaining, veteran backup QB who doesn't want to be there? How could that be good for Cutler?
I suppose that'd be a better scenerio for the team. The organization will still have to eat that $5.7 next year. Oh well, it happens every year so I guess it doesn't hurt teams as much as it looks. Having said that, the Texans need to cut bait(Carr) and run.
Old 02-12-2007   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Plummer will be a Chicago Bear before it's all said and done.

He has that Jim MacMahon "look" about him, has played in cold weather, and is an upgrade over Grossman. Grossman will likely not even be playing anywhere next year after his bad season and atrocious Super Bowl outing.

I just think we'll still have David Carr next year, and Kubiak will look to deal him mid-season while also developing drafted QB and/or looking for mid-season acquisitions as he tries to trade David.

I'd say at least 85% chance DC is our QB going into camp.

I don't think the Plummer deal goes through. I think other teams will outbid us for Jake, just as they did for David Givens.

IMO, this is just a fishing expedition by our FO to try and see if other teams will come to the front and try to get Carr.

Honestly, do you WANT Jake as our QB next season? It's reported that he has this burning desire to play and to be competitive and blah-blah-blah...but I see a guy on the decline. I see a beer drinking party animal that has the personality of a fence post. THAT'S the guy that's better than DC? Jake reminds me of those QBs from the late 1970s who had shaggy facial hair, lumbered around on the field with one hip pad hanging out of his pants...the speed of a one-legged jaguar...and that far away look in his eyes that says "Where's the big party after the game?" There's a reason he got out-gunned by a rookie QB: His days are done and over with, IMO. Do we need to trade DC and get a guy who could care less about us? Does he project ANY image whatsoever that he's the future of an NFL team?

(Sigh)

God, please let this cup pass from us....

...Let us crush The Snake under our feet.
Old 02-12-2007   #18
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
I think Plummer will be a Chicago Bear before it's all said and done.

He has that Jim MacMahon "look" about him, has played in cold weather, and is an upgrade over Grossman. Grossman will likely not even be playing anywhere next year after his bad season and atrocious Super Bowl outing.

I just think we'll still have David Carr next year, and Kubiak will look to deal him mid-season while also developing drafted QB and/or looking for mid-season acquisitions as he tries to trade David.

I'd say at least 85% chance DC is our QB going into camp.

I don't think the Plummer deal goes through. I think other teams will outbid us for Jake, just as they did for David Givens.

IMO, this is just a fishing expedition by our FO to try and see if other teams will come to the front and try to get Carr.

Honestly, do you WANT Jake as our QB next season? It's reported that he has this burning desire to play and to be competitive and blah-blah-blah...but I see a guy on the decline. I see a beer drinking party animal that has the personality of a fence post. THAT'S the guy that's better than DC? Jake reminds me of those QBs from the late 1970s who had shaggy facial hair, lumbered around on the field with one hip pad hanging out of his pants...the speed of a one-legged jaguar...and that far away look in his eyes that says "Where's the big party after the game?" There's a reason he got out-gunned by a rookie QB: His days are done and over with, IMO. Do we need to trade DC and get a guy who could care less about us? Does he project ANY image whatsoever that he's the future of an NFL team?

(Sigh)

God, please let this cup pass from us....

...Let us crush The Snake under our feet.
what;s the solution, then? a 37 year old garcia, a pocket passer in huard? you willing to wait for a possible 2007 draftee to blossom?
Old 02-12-2007   #19
amazingandre
All Pro

so we pick plummer. then what in 2 years he retires. its a no win situation u repair the team for a year or 2 then we suck again.....we need to keep carr let the oline improve and get a rookie qb so kubiack can teach him. kubs supposedly is the master of it so let him show us all.
Old 02-12-2007   #20
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

The easiest thing would have been not to extend Carr's contract. He still had years left, so why do it when he wasn't proven?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read