Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-11-2007   #1
A-B

Default Pro Bowl too risky?

I just saw the Brees highlight on ESPN. He is now going to spend atleast the 1st 2 months of the off-season recovering from a dislocated elbow. We as Texans fans know how much we missed Mathis this season from an injury he received in last years Pro-Bowl. Do yall think the Pro-Bowl is really necessary? I like the recognition that players get on the individual level, but we lost an important player for the season and Brees has an injury that could've been avoided the same as Mathis had they not been in the Pro-Bowl.
Old 02-11-2007   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pro Bowl too risky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Bush View Post
I just saw the Brees highlight on ESPN. He is now going to spend atleast the 1st 2 months of the off-season recovering from a dislocated elbow. We as Texans fans know how much we missed Mathis this season from an injury he received in last years Pro-Bowl. Do yall think the Pro-Bowl is really necessary? I like the recognition that players get on the individual level, but we lost an important player for the season and Brees has an injury that could've been avoided the same as Mathis had they not been in the Pro-Bowl.
I did'nt see it .... which arm did he hurt ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

That just sounds painful .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you prefer they play flag-football??

Thats why they play it at the end of the year. Injuries are part of the game. There's no blitzing, so that means its 5 o-lineman vs 4 d-lineman the whole game. Would'nt be surprised if the NFL banned sacks in the pro-bowl from now on....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #5
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know injuries are a part of the game, but in a game that has no meaning other than conference bragging rights. I mean like Mathis for example, he had a break out year in 05 and stayed healthy, then gets hurt in P.B. and can't help his team in 06. He would've been here if he hadn't got hurt in the P.B. Getting hurt in regular season contributing to your team is one thing, but getting hurt after the season is over is another.
I thought Mathis fell off his bike or something like that....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
I thought Mathis fell off his bike or something like that....
yeah i also thought that mathis went and roethlisbergered himself.
Old 02-11-2007   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From my understanding during preseason he was having trouble with his foot and couldn't understand why. After the team docs did a little investigating they found that he had hurt his foot in the P.B. and it didn't fully recover which is the reason he was pretty much out for the season.
How could they have found out exactly where he hurt his foot months after it had happened? It's not like there would be any evidence to that conclusion.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2007   #8
the flash
Rookie

There is no need for one since there is nothing that comes out of it. What is the point? Would you be okay if Andre would have gotten hurt and been out the rest of the next season because he played in the Pro Bowl? Im sorry but I would rather him skip the game and avoid injury so that he can have another great season next year. (Maybe we should send Carr to the Pro Bowl)
Old 02-11-2007   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I think the motorcycle accident just messed up his hands and had to be bandaged for awhile. That stuff didn't really keep him out.

As for the Pro Bowl, none of the players are forced to participate. If someone thinks its too risky I'm sure theres a long line of people behind them that would love to go in their place.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #10
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

validation for my previously stated "Abolish The Pro Bowl" stance.

it's a meaningless game, played at 50%-75% effort. surely they don't need the extra 25K for losers and 40K to the winners???
Old 02-11-2007   #11
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'mot sure, apparently he hurt it during the P.B. and then reaggravated the same foot during the preseason. The bike incident is a new one for me, What is that about?
He decided to jump from the bike and go concrete surfing on his hands. Nothing really significant but I'm sure it took off a few layers of skin that had to be bandaged for a long time.

Old 02-11-2007   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally i don't like the probowl and dotn watch it. I would rather see individual skills being tested. Like the lineman challange and punting and fg accuracy, QB throwing accuracy and things like that.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #13
the flash
Rookie

Another problem with the game is that some of players are giving a lot more than others which gets players hurt. For example, Brian Moorman, the Bills punter, got creamed by Sean Taylor when he ran for the first down. Im not saying that the guys shouldn't play 100% and that I didnt enjoy the hit, but that is a bit much. That could've been a major injury or concusion. No more Pro Bowls. (At least for the Texans)
Old 02-11-2007   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody is forced to participate.

Tom Brady was playing golf yesterday.

It's an honor to be named as one of the best players at your position in the NFL.

Honestly, I think less players get hurt in the Pro Bowl than in each pre-season game.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

I agree, since I think while the guys are working hard, other than Sean Taylor roiding out on Brian Moorman, most of the guys are playing pretty clean and trying not to do things that will get themselves or others hurt. Brees injury was just a random accident.

Which kind of brings me back to an above point...I know everyone likes the big hits, but is it really necessary, in a game that doesn't count, to try and kill the punter on a fake punt? I know he was fine and jumped back up, so that incident is a non-issue, but in the future?

Old 02-11-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
That just sounds painful .
It looked nasty. I just saw a replay and you can see the bulge where the bone dislocated.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #17
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

It's an honor to be named as one of the best players at your position in the NFL.

Honestly, I think less players get hurt in the Pro Bowl than in each pre-season game.
Only differance is that these are the starts, which means it gets more press. In all honesty, its probably less dangerous then all the practices teams have before the season.
Old 02-11-2007   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Couldn't they just receive the award and distinction without having to play a meaningless game?
Old 02-11-2007   #19
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Couldn't they just receive the award and distinction without having to play a meaningless game?
The problem as I see it with the Pro Bowl is that the best way to stay healthy is to play like you normally would on any Sunday. The moment you relax and try to turn a punt fake up the field is when you get killed by the next guy who can't "flip the switch off". Not to defend Taylor, but there were a number of big hits in that game aside from Moorman. A running back got absolutely swallowed by a DT, quarterbacks were getting sacked left and right, and Chad Johnson got lit up by Adrian Wilson. I'm sure there were more big hits... you're playing a football game with all the biggest, nastiest defensive players and offenses that think it's the NBA All-Star game. So we've got this dilemma with conflicting instincts to just take it easy and to play like you usually do.

Travis Minor almost lost a leg because of a stupid touch football game on sand, that I think isn't played anymore for that reason. They need to continue to examine ways to make the game safer, I don't see why liberal time rules like a running clock or 10 minute quarters aren't considered. I think getting rid of kickoffs and trying to work some of the returners in on offense would be a decent way to manage the risk as well. If they don't find better ways to ensure the safety, it will just turn into the NBA slam dunk contest, with 2nd tier players over time.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #20
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does Drew Brees have that big scratch on his face?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read