Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2007   #1
staind755
Rookie

Default What if... A.P is at #8 and Green Bay comes calling Like they say...

What if... A.P is at #8 and Green Bay comes calling Like they say they would. Green Bay has said it will do whatever it takes to get A.P. What would you want from Green Bay in exchange for the 8th pick?
staind755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What if... A.P is at #8 and Green Bay comes calling Like they say...

At least their #16 & #48.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What if... A.P is at #8 and Green Bay comes calling Like they say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by staind755 View Post
What if... A.P is at #8 and Green Bay comes calling Like they say they would. Green Bay has said it will do whatever it takes to get A.P. What would you want from Green Bay in exchange for the 8th pick?
If that's what they said, I'd try to "take them to the cleaners!" You would have to get at least their 1st and 2nd rounders, but you might want to ask for another pick, like a 4th rounder, or maybe a pick from next year.

What was the deal Ditka made to get "Baby Earl" to N.O.? Wasn't it something like 4 or 5 picks? We probably can't ask that much since AP wouldn't be the number 1 pick overall, but if G.B. wants him that much it wouldn't hurt to ask! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

1st, 2nd, 1st next year, and a 7th rounder this year. Milk it for all its worth.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Green Bay will try to trade with the Vikings for #7 before they try to trade with us for #8.

Since we have shown interest in Peterson & the Vikings have not then it will actually take more for them to get our pick than the Vikings pick, because we will know they are going for Peterson.
Old 02-10-2007   #6
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Why not Lynch? Why does everyone think AP is the only one worth fighting over? Is he really the only choice? Lynch is a good player. If no one else is fighting to get him, I say we take Marshawn if he is available in the first round and if we really want to spend our first draft pick on a running back.
Old 02-10-2007   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Lynch is good but he isnt worth #8.
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2007   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lynch isn't worth a 1st, IMO.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
#8 (1400 pts) v. #16 (1000 pts) + #48 (420 pts)--not bad value.

Quote:
Green Bay will try to trade with the Vikings for #7 before they try to trade with us for #8.

Since we have shown interest in Peterson & the Vikings have not then it will actually take more for them to get our pick than the Vikings pick, because we will know they are going for Peterson.
Not buying that purported logic at all. They wouldn't buy a more expensive pick than they needed. Talk to both teams and see who sells cheaper is what any GM worth his title would do.
Old 02-10-2007   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
#8 (1400 pts) v. #16 (1000 pts) + #48 (420 pts)--not bad value.

Not buying that purported logic at all. They wouldn't buy a more expensive pick than they needed. Talk to both teams and see who sells cheaper is what any GM worth his title would do.
That's my point.

We are gonna try to rob Green Bay since they are going after the guy we want.

So they could get the #7 from the Vikings easier cuz they will only have to give up fair value.

I dont see what is so purported with that logic.
Old 02-10-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Their first this year and Donald Driver.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #12
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

In terms of Peterson, he's going to run a 4.37 40 with a 38" vertical, and he's been considered the best-conditioned athlete on OU's team. He's very talented. Some guys come into the NFL with injury histories and never get hurt again. BUT WHAT IF HE DOES? Do you want to spend a first round pick on a wounded duck?
While Lynch doesn't make guys miss as much as Peterson, he's more of a pounder, difficult to tackle, a lot of yards after contact. His 34 receptions matched his total for the previous two seasons combined. Combine him with Dayne and we would punish our opponent's defense in the trenches.
Peterson looks like the flashier back from what I've seen. But I think Lynch would be a heck of a lot more dependable as a NFL running back.
Lynch not worth a first round pick? What are you smoking, crack?
Old 02-10-2007   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
It would require a lot more than that. Those two picks alone barely cover the value of the #8 pick, and with them apparently being so desperate to get him, with us really liking him, and with this being a relatively shallow draft in terms of top-end talent, I likely need to add their 1st round pick next year in there too. Unless of course they want to give us Aaron Kampman and the #16, then that give us another stud DE and allows us to take the best DB or maybe Lynch at #16.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by staind755 View Post
I'd be interested in something along the lines of the Dallas/Minnesota trade that sent Herschel Walker to the Vikings and what amounted to an entire team to Dallas.

I'd be wanting to play the Dallas part in this scenario of course.

It would either be something like that or I'd want Brett Favre and a working prototype of the "Age-Subtraction Chamber" that I hear sits in a sealed room one mile beneath Lambeau Field. It's right next to the almost perfected "Lombardi Resurrection Chair".

Seriously though I'd entertain offers from anyone who was willing to grossly over pay for the pick. I wouldn't want to limit it only to the Packers. I'd entertain lopsided offers from almost anyone outside the AFC South. If one of their General Managers comes calling though I wouldn't even talk to them about it. Ok, the AFC South teams and Oakland are out. Al Davis doesn't get jack from me for the rest of his life after the Buchannon trade.

I'd refuse to donate a kidney to him even if I was a perfect match and had been born with 3.
Old 02-10-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends who we want and we minnesota would want. If they really want a receiver and think they can pick between 3 they really like at green bays spot they may do that. we on the other hand would want ..or say we want more than the 'points' are worth. minnesota doesn't look like they would take AP.

Points aren't everything when it comes to what a pick is worth. It's a lot easier to trade with someone one spot higher than it is with the pick of a team that would take that player.

I would support a trade down with green bay. do they really want ap that much more though? i'd just assume they'd take lynch where they are..their fans seem to be happy with that...really thrilled actually.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #16
The Preacher
Veteran

For me it depends if the Texans really want somebody who is still on the board BESIDES Peterson. I haven't had many thoughts regarding the draft so I am glad I can come by here and learn up on the guys who will be the future of the league. Personally I would NEVER draft a RB in the top ten picks who has had injury issues especially, even if they look like Eric Dickerson(no super bowls titles). Ronnie Brown, Cadillac, Benson were all top five picks who granted are very talented, compare to the likes of Steven Jackson, Addai, Jones-Drew, and many others that were drafted far deeper into the draft. While probably not the greatest argument, I think Kubiak of all people would agree. RB's get dinged easily and the shelf-life is not nearly what it is at other positions. All four teams in the conference championship games had RB by committee. Defense and an offense that can control the clock wins SB's. As far this thread goes I would probably trade down for a sweet offer and draft defense or o-line unless they felt very strongly about a defensive player that was there at #8.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #17
TexanBearkat
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to TexanBearkat

Quote:

I understand your logic and it does make sense but my question is would Green Bay want to give extra draft picks to a division rival?
Old 02-10-2007   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBearkat View Post
I understand your logic and it does make sense but my question is would Green Bay want to give extra draft picks to a division rival?
I would be very surprised if GB traded with the Vikes. Historically they haven't gotten along very well. IMO, they would much rather shift those picks out of the division.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Jones won't be back until after mid-season. Millen could surprise everyone and go with AP at #2.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #20
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Anytime you have a team that has a player that is a "must have" in their eyes, you clean them out for everything knowing that you have the upper hand. For example, what Tennessee did on us in 2004 when we "had to have" Jason Babin in Casserly's eyes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read