Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2007   #1
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Moulds not the answer?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4541745.html

The he and him in these quotes is Andre Johnson.

"Next year, I'd like to see him make more big plays," Kubiak said. "And that is going to happen if our team gets more balanced. We saw coverages last season that I've never seen in all my years of football. A number of teams simply said, 'You're not going to throw this guy the ball.' "

"But people started saying, 'He won't beat us.' It was smart on their part. I don't have a number for how many balls I want him to catch next season, but he should be our most explosive player. And the more help we can get him, the more explosive he will become."

The Texans' struggling running game slowed Johnson's production last season as well as David Carr's inconsistency and Eric Moulds' ineffectiveness as a No. 2 receiver.

The Texans will use free agency and the draft to pursue a starting running back, a potential replacement for Carr and a playmaking No. 2 receiver.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Moulds not the answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

"Next year, I'd like to see him make more big plays," Kubiak said. "And that is going to happen if our team gets more balanced. We saw coverages last season that I've never seen in all my years of football. A number of teams simply said, 'You're not going to throw this guy the ball.' "

"But people started saying, 'He won't beat us.' It was smart on their part.
Kubiak has been in the league for decades and debunks the Andre bashers. Andre gets an unprecedented amount of attention and was isolated as the one person to take out of the offense...so it is fitting many of our fans did nothing but jump him and blame him for our woes just to defend DC. classic.

Moulds has no speed anymore...the reason Buffalo let him go...that much was obvious last year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #3
leachmtb
Rookie

I say wait a year and draft Earl Bennett out of Vanderbilt. He is on pace to break the all-time SEC receiving numbers next year as a junior. Of course all of you will laugh at me, because none of you have heard of him, but I'll be a Vandy homer just as much as all of you will be a TU homer.
leachmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leachmtb View Post
I say wait a year and draft Earl Bennett out of Vanderbilt. He is on pace to break the all-time SEC receiving numbers next year as a junior. Of course all of you will laugh at me, because none of you have heard of him, but I'll be a Vandy homer just as much as all of you will be a TU homer.
You don't wait a year to cherry pick a prospect in a draft where you have 31 other teams also looking at prospects....if you wait, you lose....chances are if he is good, other teams know it too. If you have a weakness you resolve it as you see it.

Old 02-10-2007   #5
leachmtb
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You don't wait a year to cherry pick a prospect in a draft where you have 31 other teams also looking at prospects....if you wait, you lose....chances are if he is good, other teams know it too. If you have a weakness you resolve it as you see it.
I know, I just get tired of everyone else making ridiculous comments, so I thought I would try to add one early on. More than anything I just want this guy to get some national attention.
leachmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #6
amazingandre
All Pro

Well there really isnt any good wr in fa so i think well have to get one via draft....
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #7
Dunta_23
All Pro

Does this mean that possibly Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn are in the picture in the first round???

Or can you get a good playmaking #2 later on??
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
Does this mean that possibly Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn are in the picture in the first round???

Hines Ward was a 3rd rounder....Terrell Owens was a 3rd rounder.. Joe Horn was a 5th rounder...last year Colston was a 7th rounder (this is really an exception)...but to answer the question....yeah, you can get a playmaker at wr later if you scout well enough.

Old 02-10-2007   #9
Dunta_23
All Pro

Does anyone believe that Jerome Mathis has what it takes to be a reliable #2 on this team, or is he more of a #4/KR strictly
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #10
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:

from what i have read, the WR depth is pretty decent in this draft. it looks like ginn, jarrett, calvin johnson, and dwayne bowe are the most likely first rounders. i am not real fond of taking WR in the first unless the value is just too good to pass up. there are also guys you could likely get in the 2nd round like sidney rice, robert meachem, and anthony gonzalez. i'd prefer to grab somebody like this.
Old 02-10-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Does anyone believe that Jerome Mathis has what it takes to be a reliable #2 on this team, or is he more of a #4/KR strictly
at best he looks like a wr3 to me...but it's hard to say. One thing I do know is you shouldn't just assume a project will be a player and not address a position of need....and Mathis is a wr project.

Old 02-10-2007   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

If Marshawn Lynch and Calvin Johnson are available at 8, who should the Texans take?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #13
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Hines Ward was a 3rd rounder....Terrell Owens was a 3rd rounder.. Joe Horn was a 5th rounder...last year Colston was a 7th rounder (this is really an exception)...but to answer the question....yeah, you can get a playmaker at wr later if you scout well enough.
Mike Furrey.
Old 02-10-2007   #14
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
If Marshawn Lynch and Calvin Johnson are available at 8, who should the Texans take?
Calvin Johnson, but it doesn't matter cause he won't be there @ 8.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Curtis, perhaps? Furrey already re-signed with the Lions.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #16
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Johnson goes 3 or 4 (tampa)...or 7th if he falls.
Old 02-10-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, but does this mean that the Moulds FA acquisition last year was
another personnel misfire by Kubiak & Co. ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #18
K.D.
Veteran

Meachem would fit perfect with this team. This guy is big and fast, and catches everything trown his way. If AP isnt there at 8, I hope we trade down and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd rnd, then pick this guy. I never thought of Moulds to be the playmaker he once was, he is a possesion receiver for us at this stage in his career. I'm just pissed that DC didn't even bother to look at this guy more often. One thing he can do is move the chains and get some pressure taken off of AJ.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Probably not from a mentoring standpoint. I know his experience was a big factor in bringing him to Houston in order to give AJ some solid advice and examples to follow.
Old 02-10-2007   #20
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Probably not from a mentoring standpoint. I know his experience was a big factor in bringing him to Houston in order to give AJ some solid advice and examples to follow.
Plus he would have or should have been a solid possession reciever, but the league soon figured out that we can't throw down field and all the recievers numbers dropped not just Moulds.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read