Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-09-2007   #1
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN 2007 NFL Forecast

Houston Texans
Cap room: $16.65 million
The David Carr era may be coming to an end. Gary Kubiak appears to be seriously looking at trading for Jake Plummer. Where that leaves Carr is anyone's guess. The Texans are tired of losing. It's also possible they could draft Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson if he's available in the first round, although their priority is a left tackle. This might sound unbelievable for a team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but the Texans would like to add another pass-rusher. This will be a tough year for the Texans. Their schedule is impossible. They face 11 teams that had .500 records or better in 2006. The AFC South is suddenly becoming one of the toughest divisions in football. The Texans are improving, but they might need another year or two before they can think about contending. They have 15 free agents. Expect them to try to re-sign cornerback Dexter McCleon, who did well coming off the street to start. They also have to decide about the future of RB Domanick Williams, who missed last season because of knee problems.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2758756
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #2
gsus8091
Rookie

Default Re: ESPN 2007 NFL Forecast

Alan Branch, Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, or a trade up for a spectacular player. Maybe C. Johnson or J. Thomas. If anyone really truely thinks that 2007 is going to be much better than 2006 is in true denial. The Carr problem seems to be the end all be all to the fans grips, but its not. Its not even close. Plummer sucks, he actually had a team around him last year and blew it, Griese is just a backup, Garcia was late season wonder. In a truely bad situation like Cleveland and Detroit, more like Houston than Phily, he stunk it up. Carr is the best thing out there, thats a fact. Ask Bears fans on other sites what they think. Anyway its all about FA and the draft thats going to make this season promising or not and truely entertaining.
gsus8091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #3
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

PLEASE LET Peterson be at 8. He would make so much more of an impact than anyone else imo.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros5Texans80 View Post
PLEASE LET Peterson be at 8. He would make so much more of an impact than anyone else imo.
if the Texans get a franchise LT it would also be like getting a new starting QB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Glass Half Full

Quote:
This will be a tough year for the Texans. Their schedule is impossible. They face 11 teams that had .500 records or better in 2006.
The Texans also face 10 teams with 2006 records of .500 or worse. Their schedule won't look so impossible if they start to play better.
Old 02-09-2007   #6
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros5Texans80 View Post
Him or M. Lynch.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glass Half Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans also face 10 teams with 2006 records of .500 or worse. Their schedule won't look so impossible if they start to play better.
Wait...how is it possible where we face 11 teams with above .500 records last season and 10 teams with below .500 records?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2007   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Wait...how is it possible where we face 11 teams with above .500 records last season and 10 teams with below .500 records?
It's .500 or better (or worse). Because the Texans play 6 games against teams that went 8-8 in '06.
Old 02-09-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, but how do 8 and 8 equal 500?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #10
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Houston Texans
They also have to decide about the future of RB Domanick Williams, who missed last season because of knee problems.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2758756
williams is not coming back. prolonged activity of a whole one day put him out for the season last year--i cant see his knee being able to hold up over the course of a whole season.

as long as they are in most games, i can handle a 7-9 type season. i'd really like to see some continuity built on the O-Line also.
-i dont think peek will be back.
-i think the team will sign a DB and an O-Lineman in FA, more likely a safety.
- i hope our #1 RB isnt Dayne or Chris Taylor going this year, or even a combo of them.
-i think their three day one draft picks will be (in no particular order)--RB, OL, and defensive line. if a DB isnt signed in FA i think it becomes a day one pick.
-i think the team will trade down, but not farther than where they think they might be able to get levi brown or maybe marshawn lynch. i have all but given up on the Peterson fantasy.
Old 02-10-2007   #11
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

IF joe thomas was there which i doubt but who would you take? peterson thomas or levi brown?
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #12
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post

as long as they are in most games, i can handle a 7-9 type season.
I cannot get behind this statement. The strength of schedule is the cards we are dealt. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I don't want to go too over the top with this, but if we expect mediocrity, do not be surprised if mediocrity is what we get. I hope no one in that locker room is expecting mediocrity.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #13
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
I cannot get behind this statement. The strength of schedule is the cards we are dealt. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I don't want to go too over the top with this, but if we expect mediocrity, do not be surprised if mediocrity is what we get. I hope no one in that locker room is expecting mediocrity.
i dont expect mediocrity, but i do live in reality. those who thought we were a 8-8 or 9-7 type team last year might have not accounted for the spotty QB play, O-Line injuries/defenciences, and the defensive backfield shortcomings. acquistions in FA and the draft are likely to shore up more of the holes left by the CC administration, but it does take time.
Old 02-10-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"It's also possible they could draft Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson if he's available in the first round, although their priority is a left tackle. This might sound unbelievable for a team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but the Texans would like to add another pass-rusher. "

The author is clearly confusing Reggie Bush with Andrian Peterson, two types of players who really have little in common.
Peterson is a hard-running speedster, a true Mr. Inside/Mr. Outside all rolled into one who may be most reminiscent of another Texas native, Eric Dickerson. Bush on the other hand has continued his college career into the NFL of being primarily a pass receiverer and reserve running back who may or may not develope into a full time back in the pros.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i have all but given up on the Peterson fantasy.
If we do miss out on him either by choice or another team, we can look forward to possibly having Steve Slaton or Jamaal Charles as they'll could be the next "Can't Miss" prospects at RB.
Old 02-10-2007   #16
K.D.
Veteran

Slaton, maybe so.
Charles, don't think so. Way too small and not enuf bang 4 da buck.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dont expect mediocrity, but i do live in reality. those who thought we were a 8-8 or 9-7 type team last year might have not accounted for the spotty QB play, O-Line injuries/defenciences, and the defensive backfield shortcomings. acquistions in FA and the draft are likely to shore up more of the holes left by the CC administration, but it does take time.
Last year I expected us to finish 6-10. When you're a bad team, you're a bad team and usually bad things happen to you. And we were a bad team. We were lucky to be 6-10.

But there's a really fine line between 6-10 and 9-7. That's really not hugely different. That's really just 3-4 good plays and that's not much.

I'm a total homer but I really think we're just a couple of players away from beign a decent team. Not a great team. Maybe not a playoff team. But a decent team that people don't automatically assume they're going to beat just by showing up. We might end up 6-10 next year but I expect us to at least get to 8-8. If we do go 6-10, I expect it to be a better 6-10 than last year.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #18
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
... those who thought we were a 8-8 or 9-7 type team last year might have not accounted for the spotty QB play, O-Line injuries/defenciences, and the defensive backfield shortcomings.
IMHMFO we could'a/should'a been 8-8 if not for us snatching defeat from the jaws of victory vs. Tenn. & Buff. AT home.
Old 02-11-2007   #19
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glass Half Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I like this!!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #20
phan1
All Pro

11 teams over .500 next year?!? UGH!
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read