Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-09-2007   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Ok, don't laugh

but I have not seen this suggestion anywhere (and maybe that should tell me something). David Carr has had his bell rung like few QBs ever. The words shell shock are routinely used. Ok, so why should not psychological counseling be a suggestion? Would it allow him to over come "bad habits" that have been mentioned? Build his confidence? Would it alleviate the post traumatic shock? Would the union allow it? Would Carr agree to go or could he be forced to? Probably a million reasons why this would not work, but it popped in the old computer like brain of mine & I said "well why the heck not?"
Old 02-09-2007   #2
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok, don't laugh

i'm not laughing, but if that ever happened, none of us would ever hear about it... including the texans.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If Carr has not done so on his own volition, then yes he should be cut.
Old 02-09-2007   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
but I have not seen this suggestion anywhere (and maybe that should tell me something). David Carr has had his bell rung like few QBs ever. The words shell shock are routinely used. Ok, so why should not psychological counseling be a suggestion?
It's been suggested before.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...81_carr14.html

Jim Zorn is the QB coach in Seattle right now... Hasselbeck actually took more sacks then Carr this year and the Hawks still put together a playoff run.

My suggestion, at this point, is if we are going to keep him, then we need to tie his right arm down to his side with some rope. Ship him off to Siberia with nothing to eat but raw eggs... and even then he will have to chase the chickens to get them.

When he comes back in the fall.

Instant left handed QB that is going to be as good as Rosenfels, because all the NFL defenses will be studying and getting prepared for the old right handed Carr, no the new improved left handed stallion.

Eye of the Bulldog.

Fear it.

Respect it.

but don't pat it on the head. No, sir.

P.S.

It can still get worse
http://www.historylink.org/essays/ou...m?file_id=2497
Old 02-09-2007   #5
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
If Carr has not done so on his own volition, then yes he should be cut.
Why?

If you break your hand, you go get a cast. So then what's wrong with hanging out with a psychologist to mend a broken heart?
Old 02-09-2007   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If our QB play keeps going like it has for 5 yrs, I'M going to counseling. I wonder if I could bill McNair for that....
Old 02-09-2007   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
Why?

If you break your hand, you go get a cast. So then what's wrong with hanging out with a psychologist to mend a broken heart?
That is what I was saying. This should be a moot point as he should have taken the initiative to do so years ago if he has not done so already. Psychology and sports are powerful partners or can be powerful antagonists.
Old 02-09-2007   #8
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If our QB play keeps going like it has for 5 yrs, I'M going to counseling. I wonder if I could bill McNair for that....
What a great marketing strategy! He could allow people to deduct a % off tickets, parking, concessions, etc. That should stop the bleed of fan empty seats. Seriously, I wonder if McNair has offered it to DC? They have doctors for all other injuries, why not his psyche? Maybe I have hit on something after all. Does anyone have Mr. McNair's cell number for me? Doc Bar, I will give you a cut of my share of recommending the marketing ploy but if my suggestion to get counseling leads to a remarkable turn around for DC, I am keeping the free Super Bowl tickets for my closest friends on the MB. Ok, let the kiss up begin.
Old 02-09-2007   #9
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's taken some serious hits over the years. Hits that seem to be career ending. On a serious note, he may have had a lot of concussions that we don't know about. His being "shell-shocked" may be more physical than mental.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
That is what I was saying. This should be a moot point as he should have taken the initiative to do so years ago if he has not done so already. Psychology and sports are powerful partners or can be powerful antagonists.
yeah... and the truth of the matter is that he already sees one every week. Pastors serve the role of psychologists in modern western cultures.
( or whatever his bishops, priests, cardinals, etc. )
---
and if McNair is going to do any marketing... he would have to top Ozzy and the Free Ozzfest.

"I am sorry Houston for causing you so much pain, here's a season on me.
Tickets are FREE!! After all, I minted a few coins on the wheel-less cart lead by backward donkeys already, so why not give a little before dipping into the pockets again?"

Last edited by TwinSisters; 02-09-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: OZZZZzzzzfest. Okay got it.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #11
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
yeah... and the truth of the matter is that he already sees one every week. Pastors serve the role of psychologists in modern western cultures.
( or whatever his bishops, priests, cardinals, etc. )
---
and if McNair is going to do any marketing... he would have to top Ozzy and the Free Ozzfest.

"I am sorry Houston for causing you so much pain, here's a season on me.
Tickets are FREE!! After all, I minted a few coins on the wheel-less cart lead by backward donkeys already, so why not give a little before dipping into the pockets again?"
Surely you jest. Dipping is what it is all about. lol
Old 02-09-2007   #12
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
but I have not seen this suggestion anywhere (and maybe that should tell me something). David Carr has had his bell rung like few QBs ever. The words shell shock are routinely used. Ok, so why should not psychological counseling be a suggestion? Would it allow him to over come "bad habits" that have been mentioned? Build his confidence? Would it alleviate the post traumatic shock? Would the union allow it? Would Carr agree to go or could he be forced to? Probably a million reasons why this would not work, but it popped in the old computer like brain of mine & I said "well why the heck not?"
Maybe some serious Hypnosis....lol...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #13
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
but I have not seen this suggestion anywhere (and maybe that should tell me something). David Carr has had his bell rung like few QBs ever. The words shell shock are routinely used.
I disagree. I can't remember that many times when DC had his "bell rung". With the newer rules, the NFL has protected the QB to a point where a hard hit is seldom seen compared to how it used to be years ago.
Aikman was hit hard and frequently. Carr, no. Just sacked often, and many of those sacks are just Carr tripping over his own feet or assuming the fetal position as the D approaches.

Last edited by 2BCF; 02-10-2007 at 11:44 AM.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #14
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan

Pastors do serve as psychologists in western cultures. The problems here are that God is fake and religion is tearing the world apart. We just pump our thoughts into the sky and watch them die instead of ever really DOING anything.

Old 02-10-2007   #15
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
I disagree. I can't remember that many times when DC had his "bell rung". With the newer rules, the NFL has protected the QB to a point where a hard hit is seldom seen compared to how it used to be years ago.
Aikman was hit hard and frequently. Carr, no. Just sacked often, and many of those sacks are just Carr tripping over his own feet or assuming the fetal position as the D approaches.
I agree. While Carr has been sacked, he has not taken a lot of punishment. Too, before Kubiak stopped it, many of Carr's sacks were from running out of bounds and also holding onto the ball too long, as 'pocket management' is not a Carr strength.

Bottom line, if Carr were able to eliminate most of his contributions to the sack issue, the remaining #'s would probably not justify a thread.

JMO, but Carr supporters are backing him in a corner he may not be able to get out of--now, even when there are no sacks on Carr in a game and still poor results, we are 'endudated' with excuses for poor play based upon--for example-his 'pain and suffering' and 'mental anquish.' And, when you add in the fact that Carr has 'never' had a 'lights out' game (400yds/4tds) to show even a glimpse of his held back potential....well, I doubt GM's will be standing in line to sign him based upon what they 'hope' he can do but has never done in 5 yrs...

Honestly, if you want to see 'real' pain and suffering/reasons for mental anquish, go watch Pro Football before the 80's and even 90's--talk about a case of reality and dose of realism...JMO.
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't think it is a bad idea. I remember during the Fiesta Bowl the announcers were talking about how Zabransky used to be very inconsistent and lacked confindence, but the new coach sent him to a psychologist and his game completely changed.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #17
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansgal8 View Post
Maybe some serious Hypnosis....lol...
Follow the watch..........good, good. Now repeat after me......"I can throw down field, I can throw down field"
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #18
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree Carr needs help! However, I think it's in the form of more talent around him and a bit longer in Kubiak's system.

It seems David's confidence is shot, but if we can get him a few studs to help make the offense go, he has a chance to recover from Saciaitus.

A big-time RB (Peterson, Lynch or M. Bush), 2 OL (Lt and C) and maybe a playmaking WR (Johnnie Lee Higgins) would be the inject this team needs. Of course we won't have the picks to fix it this year, but maybe a Levi Brown in RD 1, M. Bush in RD 2 and Kalil or Higgins in RD 3 would do it.

Carr's got the physical tools, but mentally/emotionally he needs the support of some studs...a body guard LT and a difference maker RB. Only then will we see whether he can relax enough for the game to slow down and for him to become the QB we hoped he would.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #19
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
I agree Carr needs help! However, I think it's in the form of more talent around him and a bit longer in Kubiak's system.

It seems David's confidence is shot, but if we can get him a few studs to help make the offense go, he has a chance to recover from Saciaitus.

A big-time RB (Peterson, Lynch or M. Bush), 2 OL (Lt and C) and maybe a playmaking WR (Johnnie Lee Higgins) would be the inject this team needs. Of course we won't have the picks to fix it this year, but maybe a Levi Brown in RD 1, M. Bush in RD 2 and Kalil or Higgins in RD 3 would do it.

Carr's got the physical tools, but mentally/emotionally he needs the support of some studs...a body guard LT and a difference maker RB. Only then will we see whether he can relax enough for the game to slow down and for him to become the QB we hoped he would.

...when all things are considered with real people in the real world who do their best to make ends meet and provide for their families, this post IMO is really sad.................
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #20
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATHANHALE View Post
...when all things are considered with real people in the real world who do their best to make ends meet and provide for their families, this post IMO is really sad.................
?...incoherent tought...?

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read