Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-08-2007   #1
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP
Default Super Bowl Colts: 22 of 24 drafted

I know this has made the rounds before in NFL circles, but I want to repost it for the offseason review:

The Super Bowl Colts 2006 played with 22 of their starters drafted in house with only two FAs ( the kicker and DT ).

and from 1996 starting with Harrison, they never missed in the first round.
( maybe Jackson counts as a miss, only because of the Harper thing )

( not counting Special Teams or depth )

The majority of their players were drafted late due to the success of the team ( 11 years, 8 winning seasons, 8 post-season shows )

Last edited by TwinSisters; 02-08-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: grahmer
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Bowl Colts: 22 of 24 drafted

i believe the steelers were 19 or 20 out of 22 starters also. that's why the rooneys and polian are thought so highly of, while dan snyder and matt millen are the goats. teams are built through the draft, that hasnt changed in decades.

edit: jeff hartings and kimo von oelhoffen are the only starters not drafted (or signed as undrafted) by the steelers that i can think of.
Old 02-08-2007   #3
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i believe the steelers were 19 or 20 out of 22 starters also. that's why the rooneys and polian are thought so highly of, while dan snyder and matt millen are the goats. teams are built through the draft, that hasnt changed in decades.

edit: jeff hartings and kimo von oelhoffen are the only starters not drafted (or signed as undrafted) by the steelers that i can think of.
I don't remember their roster and don't have quick copy of their Super Bowl Team.

Farrior I think was starting ( FA ).

But still, they too didn't miss a lot in the first round since 1996... while still drafting fairly low. The highest they ever drafted was 8th Overall Plaxico.
Old 02-09-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i honestly think thats how we are going to be after a few years. maybe its a little presumpuous of me...but last year's draft was amazing in my opinion. I really believe our drafts in the future will be similar to last years.

mario-started
demeco-started
spencers-started twice? till injured
winston-did he ever start? few games??at the end
daniels-started
moulds pick---good one
lundy-started beginning of season?
anderson?-didn't start

look at our rookies that really made an impact on our team...that's amazing to me. i like how it looks like our FO is rebuilding our team...and starting with the draft NOT free agency. thats the right way to build it long term...FA is just quick fixes for the most part..
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I would hope that we get that lucky again and again, but the draft can be a crap shoot.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #6
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I would hope that we get that lucky again and again, but the draft can be a crap shoot.
That's what is interesting though about the Colts. It hasn't been a crap shoot. Unless they rolled 11 straight natural sevens.

EDIT: Well, not really I guess. I forgot about the liquored up kicker... that might count as a snake eyes.
Old 02-09-2007   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

This is why it's important for the Texans to be able to play all their picks and limit their FA signings. It's why I think they should look to their needs over BPA. (The benefit in the first round is that I think BPA will be pretty much equal to their pick. I can't see Alan Branch, Jamal Anderson, Adriane Peterson, or even Levi Brown being a step backwards for the Texans.)

I expect a lot of FA pickups to be quietly shown the door over the next few years as they play out their contract, players like Putzier, Salaam, and Flanagan. They are only here while the team develops. How long Moulds, Dayne, and Weaver will last is up to the fates.
Old 02-09-2007   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Only if you view 2 game tapes on a player, trade away 2 of your draft picks, and inform the owner that's how they do it in the nfl - then go get that player you think you did enough research on.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
This is why it's important for the Texans to be able to play all their picks and limit their FA signings. It's why I think they should look to their needs over BPA. (The benefit in the first round is that I think BPA will be pretty much equal to their pick. I can't see Alan Branch, Jamal Anderson, Adriane Peterson, or even Levi Brown being a step backwards for the Texans.)

I expect a lot of FA pickups to be quietly shown the door over the next few years as they play out their contract, players like Putzier, Salaam, and Flanagan. They are only here while the team develops. How long Moulds, Dayne, and Weaver will last is up to the fates.

to be honest, I don't know what to say... I have to scratch my chin a lot when I find ONE FA starter on the whole team ( Off and Def, sure the kicker matters ).

The Pats I think carry 5 to 6.
The Cowboys certainly brought in a lot of FA's.
The Seahawks have had at least 4 to 5 each season.

The Saints... are loaded with FA's.
Old 02-11-2007   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

I went back and looked at the Saints depth chart

over 50% of the starters are new. All the linebackers, half the secondary, bits of the OL and DL, QB, TE, one WR, and then whatever you would call Bush.

A good bulk of these players are FAs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read