Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-08-2007   #1
Xman
Veteran

Default Top 8 picks are solid - drops off after that - and trade value chart options

First, let me say that I think we need to deal for more picks, but I like our options:

Top 8:
Will be gone (or we take them anyway): WR Calvin Johnson, OT Joe Thomas
(If the WR somehow fell to us, we could clean up on a trade down)

The Other 6:
QB - Brady Quinn - - JaMarcus Russell
Both should be gone, but seriously, if one of them is there then he is Carr's replacement.

DT - Alan Branch JR DT Michigan - Versatile and could play either tackle or end depending on the scheme. (ths guy has gotten some great reviews)
DE - Jamaal Anderson JR Arkansas
DE - Gaines Adams SR Clemson - Sack artist who could rise if he picks up where he left off as a junior.

RB - Adrian Peterson JR RB Oklahoma
[I want him to fall to us - can we be that lucky?]
Terrific physical specimen and a rare player but durability is a concern.

And a couple that could move up during the draft process:
Amobi Okoye SR DT Louisville - Very talented and unique prospect who will be a 20-year-old rookie.
LaRon Landry SR S L.S.U. - Ballhawk who has been extremely productive throughout his career.
OT Levi Brown - I don't think he fits our system and he is probably a RT - so I doubt he is our guy, but things could always change.

At this time, these guys appear to be the top 8 (per most reviews and websites). So, we either get crazy lucky and get our OT, really lucky and get a stud QB, WR or RB, or we just fill our needs along the DL (our DL is going to eat up our cap - but the team seems determined to make it dominant and any of those 3 listed could get it much closer to that level).

So, we will get a stud player at a decent salary. Sounds good.

But, if we did deal, here are some intriguing trade options based on the draft pick value chart:
NE gives picks 24 and 28 for pick 8.
NYJ gives 25, 37 and 89 for pick 8.
GB or Jax could give their first and third (16/17 and 46/47)for pick 8.
Buff or St.L could give their first and third (12/13 and 76/77)for pick 8.
Hou could give first 3 picks (8, 39, 73) for pick 3 (Cleve or TB).
Hou could give first 2 picks (8, 39) for pick 4 (Cleve or TB).
Hou could give 39 to Denver for 56 and 88.
Hou could give 8 to Denver for 21, 56, and 70.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 8 picks are solid - drops off after that - and trade value chart options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman View Post
That would be a 1st & 2nd round selections.
Old 02-08-2007   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 8 picks are solid - drops off after that - and trade value chart options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That would be a 1st & 2nd round selections.
Sold. There are about 4 guys I think we should draft in the second round.

1. Merriwether
2. Houston
3. Kalil
4. BPA OLB (Beason, Rufus, Everett, Timmons, etc)

Obviously, I want more second rounders.

I would also try to move guys for second/third rounders this year. I would try a 2nd for Carr, but could live with a 3rd.
Old 02-08-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish there was a way to trade our 1st for three 2nd rders. I agree with you YTF..I like a lot of guys that will be there.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #5
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Sold. There are about 4 guys I think we should draft in the second round.

1. Merriwether
2. Houston
3. Kalil
4. BPA OLB (Beason, Rufus, Everett, Timmons, etc)

Obviously, I want more second rounders.

I would also try to move guys for second/third rounders this year. I would try a 2nd for Carr, but could live with a 3rd.
I like Merriweather. But you're forgetting about Daymeion Hughes, Ryan Smith and David Irons. Absolute playmakers at the CB position. I believe Drew Hodgdon can step up and be a solid backup to McKinney at center. He has the potential and work ethic to eventually take over there. I would take either of the 3 corners I just mentioned over Cedric Houston...you're kidding, right?
Old 02-08-2007   #6
Xman
Veteran

multiple 2nd rounders (and even 3rds) would be nice - but the only teams with extra 2nds are Jets 37 and TB 64. Denver has an extra 3rd - that is why the Denver options look more possible than most.
(this might change a little later - if trades escalate but probably about it).

So, to get multiple 2nd rounders, we would have to do multiple trades - which I would like - but the front office has not shown the ability to do this.

NO and SF have 2 extra 4th rounders (but only SF has a high one from Wash).

Also - Washington traded their 2nd, 3rd and 4th - so they pick at #6 then their next pick is 133. So, they will probably be looking to deal down (unless they are happy only adding one good player through the draft).

I would love to see hire Jimmy Johnson as a "draft consultant" - similar to the Reeves thing - JJ could move around and get full value for picks.
Old 02-08-2007   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good post and I like the way we're all thinking about extra picks.

This NE one intrigues me as they could really use a top WR and with our eighth pick, Jarrett, Ginn, or Bowe would all still be there for them.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2007   #8
Xman
Veteran

Silver Oak - I like your handle - reminds me of good times . . . what I can remember of them anyway

yeah - a NE trade could be a win-win for both teams

at 24 we could get a good CB and a safety/OLB at 28/39 (could scramble the order) - that would be a huge boost to our D.

(I know we need OL/QB/RB/DL also - but as of now value in that range seems to be on D, especially secondary)
Old 02-08-2007   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73103 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Good post and I like the way we're all thinking about extra picks.

This NE one intrigues me as they could really use a top WR and with our eighth pick, Jarrett, Ginn, or Bowe would all still be there for them.
That sure would be sweet.

But it's just no New England's MO to do something like that. Plus, they were almost in the Super Bowl so they obviously dont need a superstar, they're just gonna draft for depth like they always do.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #10
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
But, if we did deal, here are some intriguing trade options based on the draft pick value chart:
NYJ gives 25, 37 and 89 for pick 8.
Buff or St.L could give their first and third (12/13 and 76/77)for pick 8.
Hou could give first 3 picks (8, 39, 73) for pick 3 (Cleve or TB).
Hou could give first 2 picks (8, 39) for pick 4 (Cleve or TB).
Hou could give 39 to Denver for 56 and 88.
Hou could give 8 to Denver for 21, 56, and 70.
Of all the options I like the trade and pick up Packers 1st and 2nd rounders. Could pick up three starters in the first 2 rounds something like.
1) Lynch
2a)Merriweather
2b) Joe Staley or Kalil or Rufus Alexander or Houston or just BPA
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1.NE gives picks 24 and 28 for pick 8.
2.NYJ gives 25, 37 and 89 for pick 8.
3.GB or Jax could give their first and second (16/17 and 46/47)for pick 8.
4.Buff or St.L could give their first and third (12/13 and 76/77)for pick 8.
5.Hou could give first 3 picks (8, 39, 73) for pick 3 (Cleve or TB).
6.Hou could give first 2 picks (8, 39) for pick 4 (Cleve or TB).
7.Hou could give 39 to Denver for 56 and 88.
8.Hou could give 8 to Denver for 21, 56, and 70.
1. I would want the NE 2 firsts and their second. In essence a 24 and 24 are like early 2nd rounders and thier 2nd rounder is like an early 3rd rounder.

2. I prefer the NE trade, but this gets us more picks. Provided we use them well.

3. I like this trade and would make it.

4. Not as nice as getting a 1st and second

5. No. We are not in position to be trading draft picks.

6. See 5

7. Nah

8. This is intriguing. Giving up a first for a first, extra second, and extra 3rd. If made, we have 1 first, 2 second, and 2 third. I like it.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That sure would be sweet.

But it's just no New England's MO to do something like that. Plus, they were almost in the Super Bowl so they obviously dont need a superstar, they're just gonna draft for depth like they always do.

Very likely Asante Samuel leaves. Brushi also looks to be on the way out and who knows if Seau will return. I see NE going CB, LB and they can stay put and do that.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #13
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Does anyone thinks its possible we trade our 3rd rounder and next years 2nd round pick for a extra 2nd round pick this year. I agree with you YoungTexansFan, there is a slew of 2nd rounders I would want.

1. Merriweather
2. Ugoh
3. Hughes
4. Everett

Really I want our 1st rounder to be on the O side, and the 2nds to be D. IMO our D could really be solid next year.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if there is plenty of prospects for beerlover to choose from throughout all the rounds I'm sure the Texans will have no problem finding enough talent to go around without trading away picks. I posted this on another thread but I really like this one -

1st - Levi Brown, OT
2nd - Chris Houston, CB
3rd - David Irons, RB
4th - Kevin Kolb, QB
5th - David Ball, WR
6th - Drew Mormino, C (played with Joe Staley, Central Michigan)
7th - Rory Johnson, OLB (played with Patrick Willis, Mississippi)

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #15
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Kenny Irons is a RB.
David Irons is a DB.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #16
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash_Fan3605 View Post
Does anyone thinks its possible we trade our 3rd rounder and next years 2nd round pick for a extra 2nd round pick this year. I agree with you YoungTexansFan, there is a slew of 2nd rounders I would want.

1. Merriweather
2. Ugoh
3. Hughes
4. Everett

Really I want our 1st rounder to be on the O side, and the 2nds to be D. IMO our D could really be solid next year.
No way we trade next years picks, this year is a Def. top heavy draft while next year will be LOADED with Off. players at least three to four of the top rated QB's are coming out next year as well a five or six O-lineman(barring injuries) If a team plays it right build Def. this year look for Off. 2008
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #17
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if there is plenty of prospects for beerlover to choose from throughout all the rounds I'm sure the Texans will have no problem finding enough talent to go around without trading away picks. I posted this on another thread but I really like this one -

1st - Levi Brown, OT
2nd - Chris Houston, CB
3rd - David Irons, RB
4th - Kevin Kolb, QB
5th - David Ball, WR
6th - Drew Mormino, C (played with Joe Staley, Central Michigan)
7th - Rory Johnson, OLB (played with Patrick Willis, Mississippi)
Are you satisfied with our DL, or do you just see more pressing needs elsewhere? I see it as a top priority either through FA or the draft.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash_Fan3605 View Post
i cant think of a situation where i'd voluntarily give up draft picks. the draft is always a crap shoot and the only way to increase your odds is to have more picks. that's why the denver scenario looks best to me. i dont like dropping back that far, but we'd accumulate 5 first day picks ... deffinately a scenario i could sink my teeth into. especially after kubiak's result last year in the middle rounds. while our chances of landing immediate starters will drop a little, we add sorely needed depth for cheap and increase our chances of finding gems.
Old 02-08-2007   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Are you satisfied with our DL, or do you just see more pressing needs elsewhere? I see it as a top priority either through FA or the draft.
experienced free agent/NFL Europe big nasties, Smith has already proved capable of filling some big holes with Anthony Maddox, Thomas Johnson & Earl Cochran. with Mario another year experienced, speed off the edge in Peek/Babin & healthy Travis Johnson/Seth Payne the Texans actually have a surplus on the defensive line now

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
experienced free agent/NFL Europe big nasties, Smith has already proved capable of filling some big holes with Anthony Maddox, Thomas Johnson & Earl Cochran. with Mario another year experienced, speed off the edge in Peek/Babin & healthy Travis Johnson/Seth Payne the Texans actually have a surplus on the defensive line now
agreed. we put more than 6 defensive tackles on IR last year, if healthy we should be ATLEAST adequate. if babin goes into the season as the starter, we're fine at the ends with ND Kalu as a decent backup. a little depth on the ends would be nice as i'm assuming peek wont be back, but it isnt a priority.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read