Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2004   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default undrafted free agents

i know as of right now from draftdaddy we have:

DT D.J. Renteria, New Mexico

DE Brandon Casavan, Wyoming

OG Andrew Martin, Northern Colorado

DT Ifo Pili, BYU

WR/KR Kendrick Starling, San Diego State

OT Brad Lekkerkerker, Cal-Davis

OT Ryan Bachman, Nebraska-Kearney

OT/TE Andrew Martin, Northern Colorado

P Nathan McKinney, Appalachian State

anyone heard of any other udfa's we might be looking at or is there some udfa's your hopeing we're looking at?
Old 04-30-2004   #2
BigTex
Rookie

I havent got to looking yet but these are a few I know didn't get drafted, someone please correct me if they have been signed.

Josh Buhl SS - 5-11, - 205 - Kansas State (LB)
A Possible LB Switch to S. Josh Buhl has been a player I have watched for many years, he has a good stregnth and I think he has great potential to be a S in the NFL. Size is a concern when it comes to playing the LB spot of Buhl but I think a switch to S can correct everything.

Brandon Everage - FS - 6-0, - 194 - Oklahoma (S)
I haven't looked yet but Brandon Everage has to be signed. The Kid has some Off The Field issues a reason he didnt play in some of Oklahoma's big games, but he has great upside, and I think can be an elite saftey in the NFL given time.

Andrew Shull - DE - 6-5, - 265 - Kansas State
Last but not leats, Andrew Shull is the last player the pops into my head, as Buhl Shull has get upside potential. I have also watched Shull player throughout his career I think he is someone u can take a chance on sign him to the practice sqaud and give him a shot.

Well I don't know if any of those have been signed yet but those are 3 names that standout in my mind.

-^BigTex^-
Old 04-30-2004   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Renteria, I like this guy

I was digging around for something on these guys and found this on D.J. Renteria. It's quite possible that many of you have already seen it but for anyone who hasn't I thought it was a good read. Not tremendously informative but I don't think you can read it and not like the guy. I hope he makes it.

D.J Renteria story in the Albuguerque Tribune
Old 05-01-2004   #4
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice read on D.J. Ren!!! Hopes he makes the team!
Old 05-01-2004   #5
hound
Rookie

To start with Martin is down there twice. He'll be a blocking TE. The DT's from BYU and New Mexico play a 3 down linemen defense so that gives them a head start. Brad Lekkerkerker is a great pick up. He's huge. About like Seth Wand. A little stiff, needs to improve his lower body strenght. Starling is super fast, but has a Randy Moss mind set. He ran an average 4.39 forty on his pro day... in football cleats and on grass. He returns also and is probably coming in for that. He didn't have a great vertical jump and he needs to get stronger. The other OT is 6'6" 300 pounds and is supposed to be really good at pass blocking.
hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #6
hound
Rookie

Default Undrafted Free Agents that are still available

By looking at www.draftdaddy.com and www.nfl.com you can see which undrafted free agents are still there for the taking. I was curious which guys some of you would like to see picked up by the Texans... or perhaps you are just surprised no one has taken them.
Old 05-02-2004   #7
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I honestly don't see any other UDFA left. Maybe the Texans might pick up another one or two, but I doubt it.
Old 05-02-2004   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Still haven't see anything official from the Texans, but Ourlad's has the following college FA's on the depth chart:

Brad Lekkerkerker T Cal - Davis
Chavis Smith G Tennessee
Andrew Martin C Northern Colorado
Ryan Bachman T Kearney St
Tim Gale RB Northeastern

Because I care, here's Tim Gale's bio. Dude looks like a throwback from the leather helmet days.

Last edited by Lucky; 05-02-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

casserly hasn't made any of them offical yet...waiting on him to announce them....hopefully he's signed some more DL for the team as well
Old 05-02-2004   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

demarco mcneil or chad pugh
Old 05-02-2004   #11
hound
Rookie

I believe DeMarco McNeil and Pugh both have injuries and that is the thing that kept them from being drafted. As I was writing the original string on this I had a player I was going to mention... but then I checked again and the guy was now gone.

Clarence Farmer seems like someone Houston might have brought in. He's from Houston and runs well between the tackles.
Old 05-03-2004   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that wouldn't stop the Texans from drafting them.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

mcneil and pugh might have injuries but looking at our DL depth i would say it's reasonable to take a chance that one of them might turn into something good for us...unless of course the injury is serious
Old 05-03-2004   #14
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Farmer may be too much of a headcase.

I would love to see Pugh brought to camp, though.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

My outlook on the line is not as gloomy.

Robaire Smith is a young player entering his prime. There are TONS of teams playing guys Walker's and Payne's age on the D-line, and we have no more chance of injury than anyone else does at that position (**players get hurt all the time in the NFL and come back fine). Deloach has started over 30 consecutive games and he is now our primary back up. We have young developing players in Sears and Iaone. I just do not see the need to worry so much. I feel we have a nice 5-6 man rotation right now, and are just in need of one body, imo. I'd like to see us sign one Veteran after the June 1 cuts.

This will not be Walkers last year, nor will it be Payne’s. Players get hurt all the time in the NFL. It does not mean it will happen to them again...."just because". We can still draft a lineman to develop next year. Our old guys aren't that old.

Quote:
Even after undergoing 29 medical procedures that included 20 knee surgeries, Denver Broncos guard Mark Schlereth had some kind of run. Schlereth stuck around 12 NFL seasons spanning 156 games, won three Super Bowls, was voted to two Pro Bowls
schlereth

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #16
BigTex
Rookie

I agree people say our D-Line is good But "OLD" i disagree WALKER is not that old at all, i mean he has a few years under the belt but he is still a very productive player who can make another ProBowl, Robaire is yonug and same thing for payne I think D-Line is good 4 now!
Old 05-04-2004   #17
Dunno
Rookie

Default Where is list of UDFA that we picked?

Sorry to be slow on this, but where is the list? Please?
Dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #18
clandestin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
My outlook on the line is not as gloomy.

Robaire Smith is a young player entering his prime. There are TONS of teams playing guys Walker's and Payne's age on the D-line, and we have no more chance of injury than anyone else does at that position (**players get hurt all the time in the NFL and come back fine). Deloach has started over 30 consecutive games and he is now our primary back up. We have young developing players in Sears and Iaone. I just do not see the need to worry so much. I feel we have a nice 5-6 man rotation right now, and are just in need of one body, imo. I'd like to see us sign one Veteran after the June 1 cuts.

This will not be Walkers last year, nor will it be Payne’s. Players get hurt all the time in the NFL. It does not mean it will happen to them again...."just because". We can still draft a lineman to develop next year. Our old guys aren't that old.

schlereth
I agree, I think we fans are a little bit gun shy after our injury problems last year (not that I blame anyone for it.) I wish I had more insight into why we let Steve Martin go unsigned, when I think about the type of player I'd like to add at the June 1st cuts he's pretty much it. Thought the same thing about Ryan Young though, so I'll have to defer to CC on this one.

oh and Sears is 2 years older then payne, so he's not exactly "young and developing"
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin
oh and Sears is 2 years older then payne, so he's not exactly "young and developing"
Wow, I had always assumed he was younger for some reason. Come to think of it I may not have ever even looked at his profile. Thanks

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #20
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Pollite???

I'm trying to find out what happen to Lousaka Pollite. This guy was a monster fB at the univeristy of Pittsburgh. Everyone had him listed as the 2nd or 3rd best Fb, but hasn't picked up a team yet. Whoever gets him will be lucky. Hard worker, smart, and can play the game. I would love to see him in a Texans uni, but I just hope the guy gets a chance.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read