Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-07-2007   #1
real

Default Outside LB's

I think it's common knowledge that we need to upgrade our LB corps.

Meco has the middle sewn up. Greenwood while not spectacular was presentable. Still replaceable. Orr for a lot of the season was a non-factor.

I thought we could talk about some of the possible prospects that we can grab in the later rds. that may be able to come in and start for us.

A guy I like in rd. 3 is Earl Everett. On the team site they have him listed at 6-3, 234 lbs. I watched a lot of Gator games this year, and he was definitely one of the better players on their defense. Big physical guy that can rush the passer with good speed. IMO, a definite upgrade over either one of our OLB's.

Anybody think Lawrence Timmons or Paul Posluszny will be available when we pick in the second round ?
Old 02-07-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Outside LB's

No way Posluszny is still there. If Timmons is there I would want him (unless Juwan Simpson is still on the board).
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #3
real

Did Juwan Simpson recently get arrested ?
Old 02-07-2007   #4
real

or was that a while ago ?
Old 02-07-2007   #5
real

Quote:
May 21, 2006
Juwan Simpson Arrested
Filed under: Football — Nico @ 5:18 pm
Alabama linebacker Juwan Simpson was arrested on Saturday for receiving stolen property, possession of marijuana, and carrying a pistol without a license.

This is incredibly shocking given that Simpson has been nothing short of upstanding in his time at Alabama. He’s an Academic All-SEC athlete, he’s already graduated and is working on a second degree, he received the Derrick Thomas Award (the team’s service award) and was nominated for the Lott Trophy which is based on a combination of academics, athletics, public service and character.
http://southerngent.org/?p=299

It's old...
Old 02-07-2007   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Did Juwan Simpson recently get arrested ?
I havent heard anything about that.

I think he was arrested last year for something but he was Academic All-SEC so he should be smart enough to have avoided doing something stupid again.

He was also a semi-finalist for the Lott trophy so I would expect that he is of good character.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Stephen Nicholas.

Of course, if we don't limit ourselves to OLB's only, we could make a run at Desmond Bishop (ILB) & shift DeMeco to the outside. I'd sure like to see DeMeco coming off the edge regularly.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2007   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Stephen Nicholas.

Of course, if we don't limit ourselves to OLB's only, we could make a run at Desmond Bishop (ILB) & shift DeMeco to the outside. I'd sure like to see DeMeco coming off the edge regularly.
I've thought about Meco on the outside as well...

On one hand, he was a top 3 MLB this year....

On the other hand, Can he be more devastaing on the outside ?

Personally I'd just leave him in the middle...He has good range at the position, good instincts, and he's become our defensive leader. I'm hoping he can lock that spot down for years to come.
Old 02-07-2007   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've thought about Meco on the outside as well...

On one hand, he was a top 3 MLB this year....

On the other hand, Can he be more devastaing on the outside ?

Personally I'd just leave him in the middle...He has good range at the position, good instincts, and he's become our defensive leader. I'm hoping he can lock that spot down for years to come.
AMEN, BROTHER!!!!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Desmond Bishop could play OLB. I really think he would be a great pick for us in the third round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #11
amazingandre
All Pro

Ya I agree, that would be very risky if we moved him outside for no reason. He ajusted so if we do get someone who is an isl then we could move them outside and let them adjust. i would not like it at all if meco was moved. He will hopefully be the best mlb next year. And make the pro bowl, ,so i say leave him.
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #12
real

Desmond Bishop

2006: A first team All-Pac-10 selection and a third-team All-American by Rivals.com ... led the Pac-10 with 126 tackles and 9.7 tackles per game (14th in the nation) ... also has a team-high 15 tackles for loss (fourth in the Pac-10) ... averaged 11.2 tackles per game over the last six games ... tallied a game-high 12 tackles to earn Defensive MVP honors in the Holiday Bowl, a 45-10 Cal win over Texas A&M ... recorded 10 tackles in his final home game, a victory over Stanford ... tallied a game-high 13 tackles against USC ... led the Bears with eight tackles and a sack against Arizona ... snared an interception for his second straight game against UCLA while adding eight tackles and a pass break-up ... had a statement game against Washington with a career-high 16 tackles and the game-clinching interception on the goal-line in overtime ... tied for a team-high eight tackles against Washington State ... registered 10 tackles (eight solo) with an interception and a sack against Oregon ... tallied six tackles and a tackle for loss at Oregon State while also forcing a fumble on the Cal 12-yard line to halt OSU's first drive of the game ... recorded his first career sack, recovered a fumble and added nine tackles against Arizona State ... had six tackles (two for losses) and recovered a fumble against Portland State ... led the Bears with 13 tackles, one for a loss, against Minnesota.

2005: A second-team All-Pac-10 linebacker in his first season of Division I football ... finished No. 14 in the Pac-10 in total tackles and led the Bears with 89, including 62 solos ... led Cal in tackles seven times in 12 games ... ended the regular season with five tackles behind the line of scrimmage against Stanford ... best game came against top-ranked USC when he was credited with 12 solo tackles, the most by a Bear all season ... had 11 tackles against Illinois ... at Oregon, had nine stops, including two tackles behind the line of scrimmage ... recorded seven tackles, a tackle for loss and forced a fumble in the Bears' victory at Washington ... finished the season with eight tackles, a tackle for a loss and a pass break-up in the bowl victory over Brigham Young.
Old 02-07-2007   #13
MLB
Rookie

Meco is not your proto-typical MLB in size. At 236# he is undersized for that position. A MLB has to fight very large offensive guards, perhaps a center occasionnaly and should be around 245-250# to hold his own. I think he would be awesome at OLB. Look at Ray Lewis (250#), Brian Urlacher (258#).
MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Stewart Bradley, Nebraska.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
Meco is not your proto-typical MLB in size. At 236# he is undersized for that position. A MLB has to fight very large offensive guards, perhaps a center occasionnaly and should be around 245-250# to hold his own. I think he would be awesome at OLB. Look at Ray Lewis (250#), Brian Urlacher (258#).
Why does that matter ? He's already proven that he can get in done in the middle. I don't see how that has any relevance at this point.
Old 02-07-2007   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Stewart Bradley, Nebraska.
Stewart Bradley

2006 Outlook
Senior Stewart Bradley is one of three members of a talented Husker linebacker corps eager to get back on the field after a season-ending injury in 2005. Bradley missed the final seven games of the 2005 season after he suffered a knee injury against Texas Tech in game five.
Bradley has made steady progress during his rehabilitation, and took part in most non-contact drills during spring practice. Although Bradley did not see contact in the spring, he is expected to be at full speed for the start of fall camp.
The 6-4, 245-pound Bradley provides a physical run-stopping presence at the SAM linebacker spot, while possessing the athleticism to play the perimeter and cover opposing receivers. Bradley is a key component to a Nebraska linebacker unit that could rank among the best and deepest in the nation in 2006. With Bradley out of live action in the spring, junior Lance Brandenburgh took the majority of the snaps with the top unit at SAM linebacker and the position should be in great shape for the 2006 campaign.
Bradley opened the 2005 season in strong fashion, collecting 26 tackles, including five tackles for loss and three sacks in the seasonís first five games. He also reached the end zone for the first time in his career, returning an interception 43 yards for a touchdown in the Huskersí 31-3 win over Wake Forest. Bradley had a pair of seven-tackle efforts before his injury.
Bradley redshirted in 2002, then made a big impression as a Mike linebacker during spring camp in 2003. He was moved to defensive end in the fall of 2003, and played a key role on Nebraska's special teams with six tackles. He had a breakout season in 2004, taking over the starting role at SAM linebacker. Bradley finished second on the team with 67 tackles and 11 tackles for loss.
An accounting major, Bradley is on track to earn his undergraduate degree this December.
Old 02-07-2007   #17
MLB
Rookie

Quote:
Why does that matter ? He's already proven that he can get in done in the middle. I don't see how that has any relevance at this point.
Well, there was a certain play at the end of the Titan's game where VY ran right by him because he was overpowerd and out of position. You don't hear a lot about those plays, only the ones he does good on. I like Meco and think he as done an excellent job at MLB for his size but think his natural position in the NFL is OLB due to his size.
Old 02-07-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
Well, there was a certain play at the end of the Titan's game where VY ran right by him because he was overpowerd and out of position. You don't hear a lot about those plays, only the ones he does good on. I like Meco and think he as done an excellent job at MLB for his size but think his natural position in the NFL is OLB due to his size.
I understand what you're saying....

But I'm willing to sacrafice that size for his range...Because of his instincts and quickness, a lot of times he was able to diagnose the play and shoot the gap into the backfield to make a play. He has great range and can make plays from sideline to sideline. I'd rather him be in the middle because he has shown a nack for quickly diagnosing plays, and that is tremendous for a MLB. The guy was at the very top in the leauge in tackles. I'm not sure why you'd move a guy who played so well.
Old 02-07-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

unless you guys are thinking of going Tampa 2, there's no reason to move Ryans.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #20
MLB
Rookie

Quote:
I understand what you're saying....

But I'm willing to sacrafice that size for his range...Because of his instincts and quickness, a lot of times he was able to diagnose the play and shoot the gap into the backfield to make a play. He has great range and can make plays from sideline to sideline. I'd rather him be in the middle because he has shown a nack for quickly diagnosing plays, and that is tremendous for a MLB. The guy was at the very top in the leauge in tackles. I'm not sure why you'd move a guy who played so well.
I would move him simply because he is physically playing out-of-position for his size. He would make a tremendous OLB because of his smaller size and quickness. You can blitz from the outside too. I just don't like players playing out of position, something the Texans are well known for.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read