Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Where do we rank in the NFC??
Division leaders 1 1.05%
Contenders 9 9.47%
Up & Commers 56 58.95%
Mediocre 20 21.05%
Poor team 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007   #41
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where do you rank us in the AFC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan View Post
Only game i really remember us getting SMASHED in the second half of the season was against the patriots. Even though or O wasnt as good in the second half of the year as it was the first, we still competed better because or D improved.
OK, so score wise we were still in many of the games in the 2nd half of the season, is it a concidence that the strength of schedule was dramatically reduced then too? Our D did improve but we also had a fairly light schedule too.

And if you call competing hanging around b/c our D held the opposition to a few field goals before they eventually got tired b/c our Offense couldn't do anything, then i have some ocean front property in the Sahara that i'd like to sell you. That's not competing, otherwise you can call the texans competing in 2005 too since we hung around before losing many of those games too.

There were very few points in last year's season where our TEAM put pressure on the opposition to either score to keep up with us or put them in a position where they had to stop us offensively to win the game. Is it also a concidence that we won those games too?

Were a poor team as of now, Whatever happens in the draft / FA could change our status next year after the 1/2 way point of the season, but as of now, this very minute, we stink.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #42
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Are we division leaders?? Indy, NE, SanDiego, Baltimore??

Are we Contenders?? Cincinnati, Denver,

Are we Up & Commers?? NYJets, Tennessee, KC Chiefs

Are we Mediocre?? Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Buffalo

Are we just a poor team?? Miami, Oakland, Houston??
AFC teams on the rise: Denver, Tennessee, NYJ, Buffalo, Houston
AFC teams falling, and falling fast: Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Oakland
AFC mediocre teams: KC, Miami
AFC division leaders in 2007:

AFC South: Tennessee (yes, over Indy!!)
AFC North: Baltimore
AFC West: San Diego
AFC East: New England
Old 02-07-2007   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztequila View Post
Some of our losses this season were not so bad. Had we pulled a few of them out, we could have had a winning record. Not to mention the injuries that plagued us this year. We lost DD, Mathis was basically out for the season, our O-Line troubles. If we get a healthy team, I think we definitely be "up and comers". We were 3-3 in our division. We swept the jags, split with the colts, and lost to the Titans in OT. I think think thats pretty good. If we improve a bit on those close games. I don't see why we can't have a winning season next year. If the Titans were "in it" at 8-8, we may have a shot.
I've given out too much rep today...... so I'll try to catch you tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2007   #44
trutexan02
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to trutexan02 Send a message via Yahoo to trutexan02

Say what you will about the Texans and how they "rank" but one fact that remains true is this team drastically improved this year and has the potential to be a good team next year. So I vote up and commer.

And if no game shows that this past season except one. It has to be the Colts game. They had every reason to play their hardest against us (unlike every year prior). They put their best team out on that field chrsitmas eve and we handed it to them. We showed that we have the talent to paly with and beat great teams, not just good ones, great ones.
trutexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #45
real

Do you want to go down the line and see how many games every team in the NFL coulda/shoulda won ? and count how many players on every team were injured ?

How many teams do you think came within a couple of plays within winning a game but came up short?

The difference is that the good teams make those plays consistently, and the Texans don't. That's what makes them a poor team. That's why we don't win those games. When they start making those crucial plays and pulling out games we "shoulda" won, then I will re-think it. You can't base a decision about what a team is, from what they almost were.

6-10 is bad.

I don't understand how you can use what almost was a meausuring stick...A lot of teams "almost" won games....
Old 02-08-2007   #46
real

We have to be the only franchise ever that thinks 6-10 is up and coming...
Old 02-08-2007   #47
real

We are picking at number eight....

out of thirty-two.....

We have a top ten pick once again.....

When we crack 500. I'll say we're up and coming....Until then we're just a bad team struggling to find some answers....We have so many question marks and so many needs and no real clear cut plan for our future. I don't see how thats up and coming....
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2007   #48
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
OK, so score wise we were still in many of the games in the 2nd half of the season, is it a concidence that the strength of schedule was dramatically reduced then too? Our D did improve but we also had a fairly light schedule too.

And if you call competing hanging around b/c our D held the opposition to a few field goals before they eventually got tired b/c our Offense couldn't do anything, then i have some ocean front property in the Sahara that i'd like to sell you. That's not competing, otherwise you can call the texans competing in 2005 too since we hung around before losing many of those games too.

There were very few points in last year's season where our TEAM put pressure on the opposition to either score to keep up with us or put them in a position where they had to stop us offensively to win the game. Is it also a concidence that we won those games too?

Were a poor team as of now, Whatever happens in the draft / FA could change our status next year after the 1/2 way point of the season, but as of now, this very minute, we stink.
I simply meant we were MORE competetive in the second half of the season than the first half. Not like we were dominating teams or anything. How is it a concidence we won those games ? Luck, well maybe but i'll take luck any day !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #49
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I simply meant we were MORE competetive in the second half of the season than the first half. Not like we were dominating teams or anything. How is it a concidence we won those games ? Luck, well maybe but i'll take luck any day !
It's a conicidence b/c we finally started looking like a functional team once the competitive level went down. But other than the 2nd Colts game in the 2nd half of the season, we looked like we didn't belong on the same field as some of the eventual playoff teams. We barely scraped by the Raiders for god's sake! Can you say we looked just as good during the 1st half of the season? Probably not, & i know some of it was due to new scheme & coaching & all that but, not that much.

Don't get me wrong, i see where you're coming from, i just don't agree that we are up & coming........................................ not yet anyway, maybe by the 1/2 way point next year, teams might stop circling us on their schedule as a guaranteed win.
Old 02-08-2007   #50
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I think at best next season we could be like the Jets of this past season, and at worse we could be 7-9, coming off the same season we had a few years back. If you want to go into actual rankings here is how I rank us with other AFC teams.

1. Colts
2. Chargers
3. Ravens
4. Patriots
5. Jets
6. Broncos
7. Chiefs
8. Steelers
9. Bengals
10. Titans
11. Texans
12. Jaguars
13. Dolphins
14. Bills
15. Browns
16. Raiders

Just for fun, say we were in the NFC:

1. Bears
2. Saints
3. Eagles
4. Seahawks
5. Cowboys
6. Giants
7. Texans

A lot of the reason why we have struggled as a franchise, is because we have been in the very strong AFC. I think with an improved defense we can jump the Titans, we are more complete than the titans are. The Jaguars will have a struggling offense for years to come, and the Texans have the formula to beat the Jaguars. Kubiak figured out the way to beat the super bowl champs, and I think we can catch them off guard again next season. Here is my realistic Division prediction next season:

1-1 Titans
1-1 Colts
2-0 Jaguars

4-2 Overall

Right now we are in the middle of the pack, we are one key player from making a playoff run, I think you will see the Texans make their first playoff run this season, and first playoff appearance in 2008. As long as we don't dismantle the team and start over by getting rid of a few players who I don't think have been given a chance (no one respond to this, we are not turning this into a carr thread)
Old 02-08-2007   #51
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
It's a conicidence b/c we finally started looking like a functional team once the competitive level went down. But other than the 2nd Colts game in the 2nd half of the season, we looked like we didn't belong on the same field as some of the eventual playoff teams. We barely scraped by the Raiders for god's sake! Can you say we looked just as good during the 1st half of the season? Probably not, & i know some of it was due to new scheme & coaching & all that but, not that much.

Don't get me wrong, i see where you're coming from, i just don't agree that we are up & coming........................................ not yet anyway, maybe by the 1/2 way point next year, teams might stop circling us on their schedule as a guaranteed win.
Yeah i see what you mean about our easy schedule in the second half, BUt that just means we're not the worst team in the NFL. If we're a bad team and we beat bad teams that means we're a better team than those bad teams. Haha well its really however you wanna look at it.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #52
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Jags are not a bad ball club, they were let down by their QB play this past season. If they can fix the QB play then they can be right up their with the Colts.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #53
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah i see what you mean about our easy schedule in the second half, BUt that just means we're not the worst team in the NFL. If we're a bad team and we beat bad teams that means we're a better team than those bad teams. Haha well its really however you wanna look at it.

Agreed, can't knock the glass-half-full optimism, I just won't get my hopes up until i see more wins & consistency.
Old 02-08-2007   #54
real

Quote:
[/b]
Agreed, can't knock the glass-half-full optimism, I just won't get my hopes up until i see more wins & consistency.

Hey...

I watched a couple Oakland games this year and in a lot of games they were only one or two plays away from a possible win.

I watched Detroit play too, and they were right in a lot of those games. They thrashed the cowboys at the end of the season so thats a good sign.

I also was able to see the Buccaneers, 49ers, Vikings, Cardinals and Browns play....

I saw a lot of good things from those guys as well...They have some good young talent, and they were in a lot of their games, but just missed winning by a few key plays....

Lookie there....I guess there are no bad teams in the NFL...Everyone's up and coming...

It'a official...There is no longer such a thing as a bad team...If you almost do some things well, you're up and coming...

Hey and that Reggie Bush....I often saw plays where, if he had made one more guy miss he'd have broken off a long one. And those Bears...They should have been the champs...I mean...they came within one game....They almost won it so I guess thats just as good....

The Cowboys almost and should have won against the Seahawks...That was a fluke play, and had they have gotten the hold right they would have marched through the play-offs and won the super-bowl....almost...

We were a bad team...The good teams made those plays that we "almost" made...

Bad teams don't make those plays....that's why they're considered bad...

Last edited by real; 02-08-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2007   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post
Jags are not a bad ball club, they were let down by their QB play this past season. If they can fix the QB play then they can be right up their with the Colts.
Same can be said for the Texans.
Old 02-08-2007   #56
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Same can be said for the Texans.
Say what you will, the Indianapolis Colts will NOT be atop the AFC South at the end of the 2007 season.
Old 02-08-2007   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Hey...

Lookie there....I guess there are no bad teams in the NFL...Everyone's up and coming...

It'a official...There is no longer such a thing as a bad team...If you almost do some things well, you're up and coming...
& lookie there, some people wait to see results before they grade a team.... that's like not saying Calvin Johnson isn't any better a prospect than Ted Ginn Jr, because neither have done anything in the NFL.

Looking at the Jets last year, there's no way I would've guessed that they could have accomplished what they did this year.

Looking at the Saints(because I am more familiar with them), I knew they were going to be a lot better than they were last year, because I saw the talent on that team perform.

I wasn't worried about them moving Jamal Brown to the left side..... I knew that was their plan for some time, and he played very well on the right. I wasn't worried about them cutting Brooks, and picking up Brees..... other than the obvious questions about his shoulder. But I knew what they had on offense, I knew what they had on defense, I knew they were better than 3-13(or whatever they were in '05).

I know our team was better than 2-14........ yeah, we had some bad players... we had some dead weight...... but we were better than 2-14. We played like a 2-14 team, & I'm not pinning that on one player.... I blame the coaches, but understand that the way they treat one player in particular may have led to the poor play on the field, but that's another story.

I'm not blaming any of our loses on one particular player..... if we had Reggie Bush catching passes out of the backfield...... maybe we would have won 2 extra games in '06. If we had a bonafide sure handed reciever(I don't know who to use as an example, since they all drop passes, from Reggie Wayne, to Terry Glenn, from T.O. to Chad Johnson, to Marvin Harrison) maybe we would have won an extra game..... maybe two. Not that those loses were those players faults.

But if we had another QB..... Sage..... Brees........ Harrington..... we would have won at least 4 more games.. Heck if David didn't go on a fumble fest in September, we could've won 2 of those games...... If he'd have just played his game, and not tried to do so much against Tennessee...... we could've won those games. If his deep ball was as accurate as some poster's think it is, we'd have won 2 games..

If we didn't have to simplify Kubiak's offensive system, we'd have won a lot more games.
Old 02-08-2007   #58
real

Quote:
& lookie there, some people wait to see results before they grade a team.... that's like not saying Calvin Johnson isn't any better a prospect than Ted Ginn Jr, because neither have done anything in the NFL.

Looking at the Jets last year, there's no way I would've guessed that they could have accomplished what they did this year.

Looking at the Saints(because I am more familiar with them), I knew they were going to be a lot better than they were last year, because I saw the talent on that team perform.

I wasn't worried about them moving Jamal Brown to the left side..... I knew that was their plan for some time, and he played very well on the right. I wasn't worried about them cutting Brooks, and picking up Brees..... other than the obvious questions about his shoulder. But I knew what they had on offense, I knew what they had on defense, I knew they were better than 3-13(or whatever they were in '05).

I know our team was better than 2-14........ yeah, we had some bad players... we had some dead weight...... but we were better than 2-14. We played like a 2-14 team, & I'm not pinning that on one player.... I blame the coaches, but understand that the way they treat one player in particular may have led to the poor play on the field, but that's another story.

I'm not blaming any of our loses on one particular player..... if we had Reggie Bush catching passes out of the backfield...... maybe we would have won 2 extra games in '06. If we had a bonafide sure handed reciever(I don't know who to use as an example, since they all drop passes, from Reggie Wayne, to Terry Glenn, from T.O. to Chad Johnson, to Marvin Harrison) maybe we would have won an extra game..... maybe two. Not that those loses were those players faults.

But if we had another QB..... Sage..... Brees........ Harrington..... we would have won at least 4 more games.. Heck if David didn't go on a fumble fest in September, we could've won 2 of those games...... If he'd have just played his game, and not tried to do so much against Tennessee...... we could've won those games. If his deep ball was as accurate as some poster's think it is, we'd have won 2 games..

If we didn't have to simplify Kubiak's offensive system, we'd have won a lot more games.
Honestly TK....your thread blows(J/K)

I'm really not arguing the fact that we were close to winning some of our games....

I think the thread is kind of decieving...

If you're asking what we are right now, we are a poor team....If you look at how we played in each game this season, add that to our record and look at some of our personnel it all equals bad team....6-10 is bad....yes even if you increase your wins by 4....That 2-14 record really must have lowered a lot of peoples standards....I have never heard such a thing as a 6-10 team being called "up and coming"...Teams that I would give that label to would be a team like the Jets or Titans...those guys had poor seasons the previous years, but were on the brink of a play-off birth this year.....Those guys have legit pressure to get into the play-offs next year....What are we up and coming to ? Please give me your defenition of an up and coming team...

Now, if you're asking what kind of season we will have in 2007/2008 then the topic is debatable....But as of right now, we're bad....
Old 02-08-2007   #59
real

Quote:
I know our team was better than 2-14........ yeah, we had some bad players... we had some dead weight...... but we were better than 2-14. We played like a 2-14 team, & I'm not pinning that on one player...
How many wins better were we than 2-14 ? 2 or 3? 6 ?

TK, if you're telling me that we were better than 2-14 in 05, there is no way we're up and coming....That means that we really haven't gotten any better...

But that's besides the point....

How many teams in the NFL do you think are saying the same thing ?.... "If we could have done blank we'd be in the play-offs...If such and such would have not happened we might be in the superbowl"....???

Every team in the NFL is talking about what they almost did, except the Colts...The only team that isn't up and coming IS the Colts....They can't get any better, just worse or equal....

I don't think there is a team in the NFL that doesn't think they are up and coming....Who thinks they're going to be bad again next year ?

I just don't like the, we almost did this and we almost did that line....everybody almost does things....I almost didn't go to work this morning...I guess that makes me a bad employee, even though I got up aned went....

You are what you do...and what we did was have a bad season....
Old 02-08-2007   #60
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
Say what you will, the Indianapolis Colts will NOT be atop the AFC South at the end of the 2007 season.
Are they changing divisions?? Nobody else in our division is gonna kick them off the top of the mountain.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read