Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Where do we rank in the NFC??
Division leaders 1 1.05%
Contenders 9 9.47%
Up & Commers 56 58.95%
Mediocre 20 21.05%
Poor team 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007   #21
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: Where do you rank us in the AFC??

At this exact point of time, the thin fence of mediocre. If we have a quality offseason similar to what the Texans did last year, then we could fall into up and coming. If we stay put, players don't learn from last year's errors, or we have a "C&C" offseason - we'll tumble easily into the poor pool.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #22
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

What in the hell is going on here?

Is the poll for ranking in the NFC or the AFC?

If it is the AFC, I want my vote back. The poll said NFC.
Old 02-07-2007   #23
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If you put anything other than poor team, you're delusional.
Actually its offseason, and NOONE has seen how this team will perform next year, so its not delusional. Everyone knows how fast teams can turn things around. So itd be more delusional for you to think poor team, other than any of the other options.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan View Post
Actually its offseason, and NOONE has seen how this team will perform next year, so its not delusional. Everyone knows how fast teams can turn things around. So itd be more delusional for you to think poor team, other than any of the other options.
Okay it's offseason, so lets look what we have to look forward to.

Were in 1 of the toughest divisions in the AFC south
Were in the toughest Conference in the AFC.

were going to have AT MOST 13 - 15 million for FA this year which is not much to get some of the top free Agents & sign our draft picks.

We're going to be somewhat unstettled at Quarterback next year if the thing that everyone thinks is going to happen happens.

We've got 3-5 worthy starters on our team total, everyone else is suspect.

& to top it all off, other than Meco & Mario, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that we're about to have a "break out" season next year. Yeah we improved win wise, but to those who watched every game last year, can you honestly say that were ready to compete for a playoff spot?

I love the texans, i'll always support them, but they are not an up & coming team.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
By the way, I based this analysis on how we would play THIS year and how people would look at us as this season progresses into future years. I was not trying to be a homer as to where we ended the year.
I am using last year and how we "progressed" during the season as my yardstick. It's hard to say what kind of team we'll have in '07. As we've seen for 5 yrs., there's NO TELLING what the draft or free agency will bring.
Old 02-07-2007   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
We beat the Colts...the sun shines on a dog's a** every now and then.
No way are we more talented than the Cowpukes. I hate to say it, but we aren't. I'm disappointed by every Texans loss. But especially by the ones we have a shot at winning and end up losing. My biggest point is that we simply do NOT have an even mediocre team. A mediocre team would've beaten Buffalo, Giants and split with the Titans. We didn't even belong on the same field with the Eagles, Colts(1st game) or Patriots. The Redskins and Cowboy debacles speak for themselves...Heck, the Browns game wasn't exactly a blowout victory.
And my point is that we are not as bad as our record..... we didn't beat those teams, we should've, but didn't. The reason we didn't, is not because we aren't the better team.

Our WideRecievers, our TE, our Corners, our Safeties, our DL, our LBs stack up pretty well against Dallas. I think. OUr Oline, is closer than you think... our only serious deficit to the 'boys, is behind the OL..... QB, & RB.
Old 02-07-2007   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
What in the hell is going on here?

Is the poll for ranking in the NFC or the AFC?

If it is the AFC, I want my vote back. The poll said NFC.
My mistake........... Mod's please fix it, It's supposed to say AFC.
Old 02-07-2007   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
And my point is that we are not as bad as our record..... we didn't beat those teams, we should've, but didn't. The reason we didn't, is not because we aren't the better team.

Our WideRecievers, our TE, our Corners, our Safeties, our DL, our LBs stack up pretty well against Dallas. I think. OUr Oline, is closer than you think... our only serious deficit to the 'boys, is behind the OL..... QB, & RB.
We sure do see things differently. I like our WR's, TE's, 2 of 3 LB's(Maybe Wong will be back full strength in '07) and 1/2 of our secondary. Our OL MAY be closer than I think, but we need serious upgrades at 2 positions IF Spencer comes back 100% AND developes into a strong LT. RG and C need to be improved. I agree that we aren't as bad as our record. To me, THAT is what makes us a bad team. It's kinda like that talent/statistics arguement. All the talent in the world won't gaurantee wins and winning isn't necessarily an indication of talent. IMO, we will have a top 10 D if we get good value on D with the #8 pick(DE or DT maybe LB) and a player like Michael Griffin in the 2nd. A weak(at best) passrush has been crippling us for 5 yrs. We just don't get to the QB. I think our DL, as it is, can be good IF a couple of players have career yrs. I would like us to add a player like Gaines, Branch, etc.. to really make that a force to be contended with.
And Dallas absolutely shredded our D in the 2nd half. That was as ugly as it gets...well, except for the NE game, but 4 INT's will do that.
Old 02-07-2007   #29
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Okay it's offseason, so lets look what we have to look forward to.

Were in 1 of the toughest divisions in the AFC south
Were in the toughest Conference in the AFC.

were going to have AT MOST 13 - 15 million for FA this year which is not much to get some of the top free Agents & sign our draft picks.

We're going to be somewhat unstettled at Quarterback next year if the thing that everyone thinks is going to happen happens.

We've got 3-5 worthy starters on our team total, everyone else is suspect.

& to top it all off, other than Meco & Mario, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that we're about to have a "break out" season next year. Yeah we improved win wise, but to those who watched every game last year, can you honestly say that were ready to compete for a playoff spot?

I love the texans, i'll always support them, but they are not an up & coming team.
Chargers did it, Dolphins did it 2 years back. Jets this year did it. I know of alot of teams who have outstanding talent that do nothing with it, its not about individuals, its about a team as a whole. You can have a bunch of mediocra players on D, but if they play well as a unit than it does more for you than 4 stars on D that cant play as a unit. The more the season went on last year the better or team was. When our O wasnt producing is when our D picked it up. I'm not delusional but i see alot of promise in our young team, and YES its going to take a few more pieces to make our team great but i think we are almost to that point even though we only won 6 games last year.
Old 02-07-2007   #30
real

Are we going to be an up and coming team ? possibly

Are we an up and coming team right now? no

We were bad this past season. There was nothing up and coming about our season. We had a few bright spots, but overall it was a bad season, so therefore we're a bad team. 6-10 isn't up and coming unless you're up and coming off of a 2-14 season. We have to be the only team in the leauge that to think 6-10 is up and coming.
Old 02-07-2007   #31
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Are we going to be an up and coming team ? possibly

Are we an up and coming team right now? no

We were bad this past season. There was nothing up and coming about our season. We had a few bright spots, but overall it was a bad season, so therefore we're a bad team. 6-10 isn't up and coming unless you're up and coming off of a 2-14 season. We have to be the only team in the leauge that to think 6-10 is up and coming.
yes from 2-14 to 6-10 that is up and coming, so now maybe since we tripled it last season maybe we can double it this season 12-4. Problably not right, but hey there is always a chance.
Old 02-07-2007   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
We sure do see things differently. I like our WR's, TE's, 2 of 3 LB's(Maybe Wong will be back full strength in '07) and 1/2 of our secondary. Our OL MAY be closer than I think, but we need serious upgrades at 2 positions IF Spencer comes back 100% AND developes into a strong LT. RG and C need to be improved. I agree that we aren't as bad as our record. To me, THAT is what makes us a bad team. It's kinda like that talent/statistics arguement. All the talent in the world won't gaurantee wins and winning isn't necessarily an indication of talent. IMO, we will have a top 10 D if we get good value on D with the #8 pick(DE or DT maybe LB) and a player like Michael Griffin in the 2nd. A weak(at best) passrush has been crippling us for 5 yrs. We just don't get to the QB. I think our DL, as it is, can be good IF a couple of players have career yrs. I would like us to add a player like Gaines, Branch, etc.. to really make that a force to be contended with.
And Dallas absolutely shredded our D in the 2nd half. That was as ugly as it gets...well, except for the NE game, but 4 INT's will do that.
For the most part, I don't disagree with your assessment of our team...... I think you overestimate the other teams in the league, & I think most folks on this board overestimate the other teams in this league.

Ask the Cowboy fans where they need to improve, and they'll tell you..... LT, RG, LB, DL, CB, Safety not particularly in that order. But they see major weaknesses at those spots. Their Safeties are good against the run, but suck in coverage. their RG is a revolving door. There left Tackle has no lateral movement. Their LBs disappear. Demarcus Ware is the only one who puts pressure on the QB.

Most teams in this league have problem areas... opportunities to upgrade.... holes on their team.

I think too many of our fans expect us to be perfect before we can make a play-off run....
Old 02-07-2007   #33
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Up & Commer, BABY!
We showed CLEAR improvement last year, and with our young stars, and improving O-line, and D-lines, we should win 8 or 9 next year, so that's up and comming. Clearly, I'm in the majority.
Poor is Raiders.
Old 02-07-2007   #34
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

MEDIOCRE:

me·di·o·cre
Pronunciation[mee-dee-oh-ker] –adjective
1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.
2. rather poor or inferior.

Based on the last 13 games, we hung with some tough teams (Giants), but that doesn't make us good since we got housed by others New England... but then can surprise a team like Indy.

We probably the least consistent team in the AFC... and wildly erratic in terms of offense (pass vs. run production) and defense (secondary sucks but we can play with some entusiasm)

The Texans remind me of the adage...
"If you give a monkey a typewriter, eventually it will type a word."

It is too early to tell if we are mediocre for 2007 since nothing has changed for 2006 yet. To say we are up and coming is a bit premature since we haven't solved some basic problems in the last two/three years (QB play, OL, secondary, pass rush).
Old 02-07-2007   #35
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

When we can compete for 4 qtrs. in every game is when we're up & coming, too many games this year we got straight smashed; early or late in the season it didn't matter.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #36
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My mistake........... Mod's please fix it, It's supposed to say AFC.
bah who cares.

In the NFC, Division Leaders ... like the NFC West for sure.

In the AFC, we are going to be cleaning gravel in the tank until some problems are addressed.
Old 02-07-2007   #37
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When we can compete for 4 qtrs. in every game is when we're up & coming, too many games this year we got straight smashed; early or late in the season it didn't matter.
Only game i really remember us getting SMASHED in the second half of the season was against the patriots. Even though or O wasnt as good in the second half of the year as it was the first, we still competed better because or D improved.
Old 02-07-2007   #38
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

I have to say "up and comming"....This was Kub's first season here, so now i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on what needs to be done to make this team a future Contender....I'll give this team a few years.
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #39
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
But as of right now we are a 6-10 team, and IMO, that has poor written all over it.
Some of our losses this season were not so bad. Had we pulled a few of them out, we could have had a winning record. Not to mention the injuries that plagued us this year. We lost DD, Mathis was basically out for the season, our O-Line troubles. If we get a healthy team, I think we definitely be "up and comers". We were 3-3 in our division. We swept the jags, split with the colts, and lost to the Titans in OT. I think think thats pretty good. If we improve a bit on those close games. I don't see why we can't have a winning season next year. If the Titans were "in it" at 8-8, we may have a shot.
Old 02-07-2007   #40
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztequila View Post
Some of our losses this season were not so bad. Had we pulled a few of them out, we could have had a winning record. Not to mention the injuries that plagued us this year. We lost DD, Mathis was basically out for the season, our O-Line troubles. If we get a healthy team, I think we definitely be "up and comers". We were 3-3 in our division. We swept the jags, split with the colts, and lost to the Titans in OT. I think think thats pretty good. If we improve a bit on those close games. I don't see why we can't have a winning season next year. If the Titans were "in it" at 8-8, we may have a shot.
O.k....

Now do you want to go down the line and see how many games every team in the NFL coulda/shoulda won ? and count how many players on every team were injured ?

How many teams do you think came within a couple of plays within winning a game but came up short?

The difference is that the good teams make those plays consistently, and the Texans don't. That's what makes them a poor team. That's why we don't win those games. When they start making those crucial plays and pulling out games we "shoulda" won, then I will re-think it. You can't base a decision about what a team is, from what they almost were.

6-10 is bad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read