Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Where do we rank in the NFC??
Division leaders 1 1.05%
Contenders 9 9.47%
Up & Commers 56 58.95%
Mediocre 20 21.05%
Poor team 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Where do you rank us in the AFC??

Are we division leaders?? Indy, NE, SanDiego, Baltimore??

Are we Contenders?? Cincinnati, Denver,

Are we Up & Commers?? NYJets, Tennessee, KC Chiefs

Are we Mediocre?? Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Buffalo

Are we just a poor team?? Miami, Oakland, Houston??
Old 02-07-2007   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where do you rank us in the AFC??

Up and Commers. You have to get out of the lower ranks first and the best way to do that is to make strides where people can actually say, "in a year or two this team is going to make hay in the playoffs." I think with the right moves they can start heading in that direction this next year.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #3
old football fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Up and Commers. You have to get out of the lower ranks first and the best way to do that is to make strides where people can actually say, "in a year or two this team is going to make hay in the playoffs." I think with the right moves they can start heading in that direction this next year.
I totally agree with what you have said and have confidence in the FO and HC to get us there.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

We had a 4 game improvement this year. As a whole... the Texans had one of the BEST drafts in the NFL last year in Kubiaks first offseason. There is no more Casserly. Our new GM Rick Smith did an outstanding job this regular season finding talent off the street and filling the holes our NEVERENDING injuries created. I am very excited to see what these two can do with a full offseason of working together.

We scored the DROY and SHOULD BE pro bowler Demeco Ryans. Throw in a healthy Mario Williams (who I predict will have a coming out party next year) and thats two monster players on D in one draft. Lets see how our holes can be filled this offseason... because our D is definitely looking like it has some great potential.

I was speaking to some Denver fans about Kubiak and his scheme. They believe he is the right man for the job and to be patient.... because it takes a minimum of 3 years to get all the pieces in place before you can really execute on the level they were in Denver all those years. Its now year 2.

Yes, the Texans are on the up. Who knows, maybe we wont even be devastated with injuries this coming year.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Mediocre because I think we've improved from Poor. I didn't go with Up & Comer, even though that's where my homer's heart wanted me to put us, because I don't think we're at the point where people are really thinking we're going to have a real shot at contending for a playoff spot with an opportunity to go deep in the playoffs.

We need to win some games and start making some statements before we can be considered an Up & Comer.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

If you put anything other than poor team, you're delusional.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I voted for Mediocre because I think we've improved from Poor. I didn't go with Up & Comer, even though that's where my homer's heart wanted me to put us, because I don't think we're at the point where people are really thinking we're going to have a real shot at contending for a playoff spot with an opportunity to go deep in the playoffs.

We need to win some games and start making some statements before we can be considered an Up & Comer.
I guess I should have put definitions in there for each category.

Houston Frog & Old football fan(Thanks for participating.) said they look at the Texans as "Up & Comers" But his description was more like a Mediocre team to me.

Division Leaders..... shouldn't need a definition. They are the guys who have been leading the division, or will.... you decide. But they will be in the play-offs.

Contenders. If everything fell their way, they could have been division leaders. They are also play-off bound. This year, I put Cincy & Denver in my Contenders list, neither team made the play-offs, but most people were surprised, and look at it as a disappointment.

Up & Comers: They surprised a lot of people, by making a play-off run, or making the play-offs. We expect them to play good football in the up & coming season.

Mediocre: Teams that were overrated. Teams that overachieved. Teams we didn't expect to be in the play-offs last season, and teams we don't expect to be in the play-off race next season.

Poor teams: Teams that need a lot of work.
Old 02-07-2007   #8
real

We are a poor team. I don't think we can call ourselves up and coming until we're....well....up and coming.

The Jets are an up and coming team....We are not on the Jets level just yet.

I would classify the Titans as up and coming....They managed to stay in the play-off hunt to the end....We....Didn't.

Of course this could all change once the season starts. Some of the teams you would label as division leaders, or top tier teams, could start the season off terrible and all of a sudden become a poor team....See: Pittsburg.

But as of right now we are a 6-10 team, and IMO, that has poor written all over it.
Old 02-07-2007   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
We are a poor team. I don't think we can call ourselves up and coming until we're....well....up and coming.

The Jets are an up and coming team....We are not on the Jets level just yet.

I would classify the Titans as up and coming....They managed to stay in the play-off hunt to the end....We....Didn't.

Of course this could all change once the season starts. Some of the teams you would label as division leaders, or top tier teams, could start the season off terrible and all of a sudden become a poor team....See: Pittsburg.

But as of right now we are a 6-10 team, and IMO, that has poor written all over it.
IMHO, I think we are better than the Jets, Titans, Buffalo, KC, etc.. I think we should have been in the play-off hunt last year, & I'm dissappointed that we didn't even enter the race.

Looking at the Jets, & the Titans last year, no one thought they would be in the race, but they overachieved a bit... But what made that team successful, will be something they can build on going into next season, so I see them with possible play-off spots next year.

Pittsburgh overachieved the year before last, and should've been Contenders last year....... but their X-Factor(which you can't ever count on) should have sat out a few more games, I think). I think they'll have even more problems next year, so even if Big Ben regains some of his aura.... it might not be enough to get them in the hunt with that division.
Old 02-07-2007   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Homer heart says mediocre team.
The facts say poor team.
We have to string together some dominate wins in order to reach mediocre. We COULD be mediocre-to-up and comer by this time next season with another strong draft and GOOD FA aquisitions. Lat years draft was, by far, our best. I think our new FO will continue that and do a much better job of building this team from within.
Old 02-07-2007   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
IMHO, I think we are better than the Jets, Titans, Buffalo, KC, etc.. I think we should have been in the play-off hunt last year, & I'm dissappointed that we didn't even enter the race.

Looking at the Jets, & the Titans last year, no one thought they would be in the race, but they overachieved a bit... But what made that team successful, will be something they can build on going into next season, so I see them with possible play-off spots next year.

Pittsburgh overachieved the year before last, and should've been Contenders last year....... but their X-Factor(which you can't ever count on) should have sat out a few more games, I think). I think they'll have even more problems next year, so even if Big Ben regains some of his aura.... it might not be enough to get them in the hunt with that division.
We lost to 3 of those 4 teams last year. Coulda, woulda, shoulda won but lost anyway is a hallmark of a poor team. We were in position to win those games and failed. To me, that means we are NOT better than them. The Texans haven't been "upset" since the Browns beat us at the end of '04. There isn't a team in the league we can consider a walk in the park.
Old 02-07-2007   #12
real

Quote:
IMHO, I think we are better than the Jets, Titans, Buffalo, KC,

I'll put it like this....

When almost every game you play you have the chance to upset someone you are a poor team...

If we were to beat any one of those teams,except MAYBE Buffalo, on opening day next year it'd be considered an upset. And what so bad about it is that those teams you listed aren't all that themselves....BUT....they are indeed better than us as of right now....

I'm not saying it will be like that next season, because we can make vast improvements between now and then. But if all I have to judge off of is what actually happened, and not what I think will happen, then I have to stick by my guns and say that we are a bad team...
Old 02-07-2007   #13
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

They are poor team as of right now. They need to show more show more consistency and win few more games before we can say they are up and coming team.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post
They are poor team as of right now. They need to show more show more consistency and win few more games before we can say they are up and coming team.
Consistency is something I've seen enough of from the Texans. I want them to make a big change and have a blockbuster offseason, a winning regular season and challenge for a playoff berth.
Old 02-07-2007   #15
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Consistency is something I've seen enough of from the Texans. I want them to make a big change and have a blockbuster offseason, a winning regular season and challenge for a playoff berth.
I think everyone whants that
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post
Exactly, up & coming in my mind is barely missing the playoffs, or making it into the playoffs & getting smashed. mediocore is 8-8 which we didn't achieve last year.

the fact of the matter is were still losing to teams that we should beat too regularly. (see games against Buffalo, tennessee games 2005/2006 washington, giants etc.) I can understand a let down here & there but too many times laast year we were in position to close the deal & something stupid happens to cost us the game.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #17
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Since we have improved slowly and it looks like our FO is taking steps to improve us even further I beleive were up and comers..It may take a decade but we will get to the big game eventually
Old 02-07-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
We lost to 3 of those 4 teams last year. Coulda, woulda, shoulda won but lost anyway is a hallmark of a poor team. We were in position to win those games and failed. To me, that means we are NOT better than them. The Texans haven't been "upset" since the Browns beat us at the end of '04. There isn't a team in the league we can consider a walk in the park.
& we beat the Colts in December...... does that mean we were better than the Colts in the second half of the year?? that we could've made it to the SuperBowl & beaten the Bears if we had started the season better??

I don't think so. The better team doesn't always win.

If you look at the New York Game, the Buffalo game, the Giants game, Both Titans games, and say we should have won those games, or if you are disappointed that we lost those games, I don't see how you can think we aren't the better team.

Even the Cowboys, I know we're better than the Cowboys.

If you look at those games & say we were lucky to be in them.... or that they went the way you expected them to... then I can see you thinking they are better....... I just don't understand how you could think that way.
Old 02-07-2007   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
& we beat the Colts in December...... does that mean we were better than the Colts in the second half of the year?? that we could've made it to the SuperBowl & beaten the Bears if we had started the season better??

I don't think so. The better team doesn't always win.

If you look at the New York Game, the Buffalo game, the Giants game, Both Titans games, and say we should have won those games, or if you are disappointed that we lost those games, I don't see how you can think we aren't the better team.

Even the Cowboys, I know we're better than the Cowboys.

If you look at those games & say we were lucky to be in them.... or that they went the way you expected them to... then I can see you thinking they are better....... I just don't understand how you could think that way.
We beat the Colts...the sun shines on a dog's a** every now and then.
No way are we more talented than the Cowpukes. I hate to say it, but we aren't. I'm disappointed by every Texans loss. But especially by the ones we have a shot at winning and end up losing. My biggest point is that we simply do NOT have an even mediocre team. A mediocre team would've beaten Buffalo, Giants and split with the Titans. We didn't even belong on the same field with the Eagles, Colts(1st game) or Patriots. The Redskins and Cowboy debacles speak for themselves...Heck, the Browns game wasn't exactly a blowout victory.
Old 02-07-2007   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

By the way, I based this analysis on how we would play THIS year and how people would look at us as this season progresses into future years. I was not trying to be a homer as to where we ended the year.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read