Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-07-2007   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ryan Kalil

To some of the draft gurus on here...

Would it make sense, or even be possible, to trade down and pick up Ryan Kalil (center), and maybe pick up an extra selection in the second or third round?

This guy did well during the Senior Bowl and while a bit undersized, is intelligent and could be a leader on our o-line for years to come.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Kalil

i think you could get him in the 3rd, maybe. certainly would be a good pick.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Kalil is the top-rated center in the draft from what I've heard and seen. I just don't think he'll stay on the board past the second round (hell, I figure he'll get picked up in the first round or the top of the second).
Old 02-07-2007   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, he would be an excelent pick for us in the second.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #5
old football fan
Veteran

He would certainly address one of our problems, but would only pick him if available after 1st round.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #6
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Ryan Kalil's stock is going to keep going up he his the best rated center in the draft and O-lineman are few and far between this year IMO by draft day he will be a 1st round pick I dont know who but someone will "reach" just to have him on there team. Telling everyone now Kalil will NOT be on the board in the Second Round.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
Ryan Kalil's stock is going to keep going up he his the best rated center in the draft and O-lineman are few and far between this year IMO by draft day he will be a 1st round pick I dont know who but someone will "reach" just to have him on there team. Telling everyone now Kalil will NOT be on the board in the Second Round.
Even if he is on the board in the second round, the Raiders, Lions, Bucs, and Browns could all use line help. I suspect one of them to pick up the top-ranked center.
Old 02-07-2007   #8
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
Even if he is on the board in the second round, the Raiders, Lions, Bucs, and Browns could all use line help. I suspect one of them to pick up the top-ranked center.
I Agree
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll fall down to us in the 3rd or 4th.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I called it early in the college football season that he would be the best C in the draft. Nice to see everyone joining me in this thought. He isn't as good as Mangold, and Mangold went 4th in the 2nd round last year. I don't expect Kalil to go 1st round, even thought he has the talent as did Mangold. I actually expect Kalil to be dang close to BPA when our turn comes up in the 2nd. The next C I want is Dan Mozes from West Virginia, the All-American.
Old 02-07-2007   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I called it early in the college football season that he would be the best C in the draft. Nice to see everyone joining me in this thought. He isn't as good as Mangold, and Mangold went 4th in the 2nd round last year. I don't expect Kalil to go 1st round, even thought he has the talent as did Mangold. I actually expect Kalil to be dang close to BPA when our turn comes up in the 2nd. The next C I want is Dan Mozes from West Virginia, the All-American.
I'm not sold on Mozes' pass-blocking ability.

He doesn't look very good at it and he never did get a lot of practice at it in college playing for team that runs all game.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #12
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

What about Doug Datish from Ohio State. I have seem him listed at Center and at Guard. Where would you play him? and What round would you consider him?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #13
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess what I'm saying is, if the coveted LT position is pretty thin this year, why should we reach for someone at that spot? Let's fill one of our needs, and acquire more picks in subsequent rounds.

If the scouts opinion of Kalil continus to rise, then I'm positive some team would be willing to trade with us to get our 8th spot.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

He's good, but I don't think he's that good.

IMO, I'd rather the Texans draft Levi, shift Spencer to RT, Winston to RG, and Weary to Center.

I like Datish, but for center. The Texans need a center.
Old 02-07-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
D'Brick went 4th in the 1st round.
Mangold went 29th in the 1st round.

I could see Kalil going around 29 too, if not I'm afraid he'll get picked in the 2nd sometime before us.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/round/round1
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He isn't as good as Mangold, and Mangold went 4th in the 2nd round last year.
No.

Mangold went to the Jets in the 1st round. It was the 29th pick and the Jets 2nd pick of the round.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #17
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mangold went 4th in the 2nd round last year....The next C I want is Dan Mozes from West Virginia, the All-American.
YTF, Mango (sp intentional) went #29 to the Jets in round 1.
I agree with you on Mozes, I also like Doug Datish. The Texans need help at center. They also need help at LT, but I'll just leave that alone for now.

Even if Kalil makes it to round 2, no way he drops past the likes of DET, OAK, CLE, AZ....yikes. We would have to move up to grab him round 2.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #18
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, Ole Miss Texan and everyone. Had I read further, I would have seen that OMT already corrected the draft pick of Mango. My bad. I'm still getting the hang of this.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

kalil's stock will be sold when he works out at the combine...if he lifts real good like 30+ times on 225lbs then he'll go low 1st round...anything close to 30 reps but like 28 he'll go in the 2nd...only if he does something weak like 16 will he go past the 2nd round

IMO if he's our best option in the 2nd round i wouldn't be sad...but in some mocks i see guys like michael griffin falling to us...paul posluszny falling to us...even tank tyler...any of those three i would take before kalil...but i couldn't argue against taking him in the 2nd even if those players were there
Old 02-07-2007   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
kalil's stock will be sold when he works out at the combine...if he lifts real good like 30+ times on 225lbs then he'll go low 1st round...anything close to 30 reps but like 28 he'll go in the 2nd...only if he does something weak like 16 will he go past the 2nd round

IMO if he's our best option in the 2nd round i wouldn't be sad...but in some mocks i see guys like michael griffin falling to us...paul posluszny falling to us...even tank tyler...any of those three i would take before kalil...but i couldn't argue against taking him in the 2nd even if those players were there
I would take Kalil before all of those guys. Griffin is a SS hybrid, and we don't need anymore. Posluszny isn't even the best LB on his team in this draft, and only the 3rd best LB from his school (Conor stayed). Tyler just doesn't do anything for me more than TJ did coming out. I'll pass on them all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read