Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: ARe We closer to the play-offs with Jake the Snake??
Yes 39 47.56%
No 43 52.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2007   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default If Jake is our QB do we go to Play-Offs??

Consider the Chiefs got in at 9-7.

Consider our running defense is better than Seattle's, New Orleans', NYJets, Philladelphia's & the Colts.

Consider that we will at least split the division series against the Colts, the Jags, & the Titans......

Consider we have two probowl WideRecievers, & a tightend that was having a really good season before David put the blinders on.

If we sign Jake the Snake, are we closer to the playoffs than we are now??
Old 02-06-2007   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Jake is our QB do we go to Play-Offs??

Most likely, but the question is how much better will we be. Under Kubiak, it is possible, but no guarantee, that Plummer could be one of the better QBs in the league again. That's a huge difference from what we've been getting from Carr.

I think getting Plummer, with a good draft as well, means 9-7 next year MINIMUM.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Most likely, but the question is how much better will we be. Under Kubiak, it is possible, but no guarantee, that Plummer could be one of the better QBs in the league again. That's a huge difference from what we've been getting from Carr.

I think getting Plummer, with a good draft as well, means 9-7 next year MINIMUM.
I'll take it one step further. In this day and age of parity, there's no reason why we shouldn't contend for the playoffs next year. (Notice that I didn't say anything about making the playoffs.)

Having said that, 8-8 is usually a playoff contender's record.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

yes. while jake wont save the program, he's a bandaid at the position while carr's a crater. jake knows the system better than carr, has had more success, wont enter the season shell-shocked, and if he came here would prove to have kubiak's full confidence (thus removing any restraints on the playbook). also, while rod smith is an absolute stud, jake has had more scoring success (our biggest weakness) with much less receiving talent than the texans ... we have andre, moulds, and daniels while jake only had smith.

kubiak would work to tweak plummer's game during training camp, as opposed to continuing the rebuilding project he's working on with carr. he also provides extremely valuable veteran guidance to whoever we choose as his successor.

edit: yes, we're closer to the playoffs than with carr. neither one makes us an automatic.

Last edited by Scooter; 02-06-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Scooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think we're going to make the leap and win our division...or make the wild card next year. I would love for us to but i'm not getting my hopes up. Whether we have a better record next season than we did this past one...I think we will be a much improved team and be getting better.

I do think we would be a better team with Plummer at the realm than Carr. I don't think either is our long term solution and see if either of them are our starting qb's or on our roster...they will only be for one or two years. I don't see them as our long term answer but i think we would be better with plummer.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #6
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Who we cut, sign, and draft has a much greater impact on how well we do than whether Sage, Carr, Pummer, or any other mediocre QB start for us.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #7
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Plummer's coming here?
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2007   #8
old football fan
Veteran

Even if we do get Plummer, which I doubt, we have to many other areas that need to be addressed. No playoffs 207, but in 2008 we will kick butt.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

here's what i think about jake the snake plummer...he's an older version of david carr...not better...just older...he makes more mistakes than david...which is why it blows my mind why texan fans want to see him in a texans uni next season...despite what you think of carr this guy is not the answer...i'd rather have sage as our starter than jake the mistake plummer...some of his ints are just mind blowing...not sure what he's looking at sometimes...i mean come on...jake plummer...this guy if we do get him isn't going to last one full season
Old 02-06-2007   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
here's what i think about jake the snake plummer...he's an older version of david carr...not better...just older...he makes more mistakes than david...which is why it blows my mind why texan fans want to see him in a texans uni next season...despite what you think of carr this guy is not the answer...i'd rather have sage as our starter than jake the mistake plummer...some of his ints are just mind blowing...not sure what he's looking at sometimes...i mean come on...jake plummer...this guy if we do get him isn't going to last one full season
no he doesnt, he makes the same mistakes ... fumbles, poor decisions, eyeballing receivers etc. look at both sides though, while he has many of carr's problems, carr doesnt have any of plummer's strengths. carr cant or wont find receivers downfield, and carr freezes up in the redzone. carr isnt as smart about moving and the word "pocket" is a concept carr doesnt understand (for obvious reasons). plummer's able to put points on the board (our biggest drawback) and has much more ability escaping the pass rush. jake knows the scheme and kubiak, he can digest the entire playbook. plummer's not THE answer, but his strengths outweigh his weaknesses ... something carr might never be able to say. plummer is an upgrade, and as i understand it we'd just about break even by cutting carr & signing plummer so money isnt a big concern.

TK you're a little misleading with the title ... will jake put us in the playoffs, and will jake get us closer than carr are two different questions.
Old 02-07-2007   #11
bluestars87
Rookie

In my opinion I think you guys would be better off without him. Even though he has a good record as a starter and took Arizona to the playoffs, he still makes a lot of mistakes. Perhaps you guys should draft a quarterback instead.
Old 02-07-2007   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

If Denver can't see Jake the Mistake holding the Lombardi Trophy why would the Texans?
Old 02-07-2007   #13
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I have no in the poll but I do think we will have winning season next year (9-7) with Plummer and hopefully AD but I am not sure if we be playoff team. Simply put we have too many holes to fill and not enough money to work with right now.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestars87 View Post
In my opinion I think you guys would be better off without him. Even though he has a good record as a starter and took Arizona to the playoffs, he still makes a lot of mistakes. Perhaps you guys should draft a quarterback instead.
"Instead"? I think the plan is to draft a QB and try to bring Plummer in for a couple of years while the kid is groomed and prepared to take over.

I don't know how many of our games you've watched but while Plummer makes a lot of mistakes, at least he's trying to get the ball down the field. David has been hit so many times that it's in his head. He's afraid to throw interceptions so he rarely goes down the field. He has very bad ball security when he tries to move around the pocket.

Personally I think Plummer is an improvement over Carr but Plummer is a heartbreaker. I don't see Plummer as an older version of Carr, I see him as an older version of Grossman. He'll make some big plays and then turn around and make some big plays for the other team. I lived in Phoenix for awhile and I was rooting for Plummer when he first came into the league. Plummer will take you right up to the door of where you want to go and then he'll make a really bad decision that rips your heart out. The difference being that Carr doesn't usually even get close to the door.

I don't particularly want Plummer here but if he's the best we can get and we can make it work cap-wise and Kubiak/Smith think it's a good idea, I'll see it as a baby step forward.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #15
bluestars87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
"Instead"? I think the plan is to draft a QB and try to bring Plummer in for a couple of years while the kid is groomed and prepared to take over.

I don't know how many of our games you've watched but while Plummer makes a lot of mistakes, at least he's trying to get the ball down the field. David has been hit so many times that it's in his head. He's afraid to throw interceptions so he rarely goes down the field. He has very bad ball security when he tries to move around the pocket.

Personally I think Plummer is an improvement over Carr but Plummer is a heartbreaker. I don't see Plummer as an older version of Carr, I see him as an older version of Grossman. He'll make some big plays and then turn around and make some big plays for the other team. I lived in Phoenix for awhile and I was rooting for Plummer when he first came into the league. Plummer will take you right up to the door of where you want to go and then he'll make a really bad decision that rips your heart out. The difference being that Carr doesn't usually even get close to the door.

I don't particularly want Plummer here but if he's the best we can get and we can make it work cap-wise and Kubiak/Smith think it's a good idea, I'll see it as a baby step forward.
Well I guess he's an upgrade, but barely. I just remember this year when Cutler got hurt against us, and Plummer came in for a few plays and his first pass was an interception by Walt Harris. But he has had success in his career and been to the playoffs several times, so who knows.
Old 02-07-2007   #16
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post
Even if we do get Plummer, which I doubt, we have to many other areas that need to be addressed. No playoffs 207, but in 2008 we will kick butt.
Like our fantastic O-line we have right now....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #17
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I loathe the possibility that we do get rid of Carr, bring in Jake or some other dubious castoff, have a productive offseason in the FA and draft, continue to gel and improve under Kubiak's continued vigilance, improve our record significantly ... and I get to read another 9,000+ threads next year about how getting rid of David Carr made all the difference. Let alone if he actually goes somewhere else and is successful.
Old 02-07-2007   #18
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Shoot ..I'll keep it real and pray for .500 (8-8).
But the way the football landscape can change from yr to yr, I don't think it's out of the question.
I just want this team to win... at any cost!
Old 02-07-2007   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

No!

They are the same QB.

Plummer is older and more experienced, but he is still the same QB as Carr.

They make the same plays and the same mistakes.

I can't believe some fans hate Carr so much that they would be willing to take a step back just to get rid of him.

If we can land a guy like Garcia then I'm all for it. Get rid of Carr.

But Plummer is not an upgrade.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
I loathe the possibility that we do get rid of Carr, bring in Jake or some other dubious castoff, have a productive offseason in the FA and draft, continue to gel and improve under Kubiak's continued vigilance, improve our record significantly ... and I get to read another 9,000+ threads next year about how getting rid of David Carr made all the difference. Let alone if he actually goes somewhere else and is successful.
Just imagine we do everything you stated, except we keep Carr, and leave the dubious castoffs alone....

Then we get the same 24 attempts per game.... 190-210 YPG...... one 300 yard game of the season.... 40 sacks..... 17 point avg(or whatever it is)... & the same 6 or 7 wins.

& you get the same 9000+ threads next year of how getting rid of David has been a long time coming.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read