Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-06-2007   #1
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default jump the shark

Here's a fun question.

At what point during last year did Carr jump the shark?
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #2
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: jump the shark

I regret having posted this one.

I am so burned out on reading all of these Carr posts. Now I am contributing to the problem.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Here's a fun question.

What, perzactly, does that mean??
Old 02-06-2007   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Information on "jumping the shark":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
Old 02-06-2007   #5
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Here's a fun question.

...and why is that a "fun question"?
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #6
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, he never jumped the shark. About the first 6 or 7 games of the season, he was among the league leaders in QB rating. After that, very inconsistent. Good to very good one game, terrible the next, a couple - just OK....

The coaches will be evaluating his entire year... the good and the bad...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

The Titans game was probably the tipping point for Carr. Losing a game many thought we would win, to a divison rival, VY, and all that, and Sage looking significantly better then him. After, that, it was very much a downward spiral, and I think he only threw about 2 or 3 TD's the rest of the season after that game.
Old 02-06-2007   #8
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

The turnover right before the half in Tennessee.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #9
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Ha! Carr jumped the shark after the win over the Cowboys, Season 1.
He's been mediocre and declining ever since.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

week 2 at indy put me off ... week 6 at dallas pushed me over the edge ... week 13 at oakland made carr unforgivable.
Old 02-07-2007   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that's a strong argument for the Bills game but personally, it was the Raiders game. If it had JUST been the Raiders game, I'd take a stand that everyone has bad games and the Raiders defense is bad-ass yadda yadda yadda. But that Raiders game after everything else that had happened up to that point and it was just the last straw for me. Personally, I would have been pleased to see Sage starting after that. Just to see what he could do.

I don't know if this is true but Carr has to be the first QB in a very, very long time to have 2 games in consecutive years where he has played a full game and had less than 20 yards net passing... and still been starting for the same team. And if someone has done that, I bet there were extenuating circumstances: bad weather, playing through injury for the good of the team, or something. And only 1 300 yard passing game this year and it was on 50+ attempts?

Yeah, for me, it was the Raider game.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

When Boselli retired.
Old 02-07-2007   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that he jumped the shark that time when he came on "Happy Days" and went water skiing.....
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well for me, Carr jumped the shark during the 2004 the season. Carr had a decent first half of the season, the team showed some signs of growth. we had a 4-4 record. We played the Colts and they exposed Carr inability to read and beat the cover 2 defense. He had 3 INT that day. We lost and then had a 4-5 record. The team only went 3-4 after that week. And teams started playing more and more cover 2 against us.

When the season ended, I thought Capers and at the very least Palmer/Fangio should be replaced right then. I did not come to this conclusion because we lost to the Browns, I had come to this conclusion over the entire second half of the season. I think that is when Carr quit on that staff.

I saw the 2-14 season coming.

OK I am no professional scout, but I am a serious fan, and I watch and disect the games, not to the level Vinny does but pretty deep. And I admit this team has not done right by Davis Carr when it come to OL and talent around him, they have when it come to pay, and benefit of the doubt. That all said, I saw Carr give up, at least in my mind. I believe that is why Gary Walker got in his face on the sideline and he is now gone.

I wanted Vince Young to be a Texans for about a month, then the team excercised Carrs option and I knew they where not taking VY, so I dropped it and moved on. BTW I love Mario and I look forward to him becoming the player I believe he can be.

This season when we where at the Titians during week 8, it became clear David was struggling. By the Raider game, I think Kubiak lost faith in him. Now I do not see the team being able to sell Carr to the fans again as the sole option at QB. And I think David needs a place to land for him to hopefully become the player we saw beat Dallas in the first game.

Can Davis play in the Super Bowl, yes he is as good/better as Grossman. And a team can build up a strong defense, a good running game and have above average pass protection and David might manage the offense to a Super Bowl. But David is not Montona/Elway/Brady, he cannot be the guy that puts a team on his shoulders and carries them for a season to win the ultimate game IMO.

But David's time here is close to being done, and he needs to go to a team like the Vikings or even the Bears to revive his career.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #15
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Well for me, Carr jumped the shark during the 2004 the season. Carr had a decent first half of the season, the team showed some signs of growth. we had a 4-4 record. We played the Colts and they exposed Carr inability to read and beat the cover 2 defense. He had 3 INT that day. We lost and then had a 4-5 record. The team only went 3-4 after that week. And teams started playing more and more cover 2 against us.

When the season ended, I thought Capers and at the very least Palmer/Fangio should be replaced right then. I did not come to this conclusion because we lost to the Browns, I had come to this conclusion over the entire second half of the season. I think that is when Carr quit on that staff.

I saw the 2-14 season coming.

OK I am no professional scout, but I am a serious fan, and I watch and disect the games, not to the level Vinny does but pretty deep. And I admit this team has not done right by Davis Carr when it come to OL and talent around him, they have when it come to pay, and benefit of the doubt. That all said, I saw Carr give up, at least in my mind. I believe that is why Gary Walker got in his face on the sideline and he is now gone.

I wanted Vince Young to be a Texans for about a month, then the team excercised Carrs option and I knew they where not taking VY, so I dropped it and moved on. BTW I love Mario and I look forward to him becoming the player I believe he can be.

This season when we where at the Titians during week 8, it became clear David was struggling. By the Raider game, I think Kubiak lost faith in him. Now I do not see the team being able to sell Carr to the fans again as the sole option at QB. And I think David needs a place to land for him to hopefully become the player we saw beat Dallas in the first game.

Can Davis play in the Super Bowl, yes he is as good/better as Grossman. And a team can build up a strong defense, a good running game and have above average pass protection and David might manage the offense to a Super Bowl. But David is not Montona/Elway/Brady, he cannot be the guy that puts a team on his shoulders and carries them for a season to win the ultimate game IMO.

But David's time here is close to being done, and he needs to go to a team like the Vikings or even the Bears to revive his career.
IMO there are no Qbs in draft this year to take us to another level. I would select Kevin Kolb from UH in 2or 3rd and pray hard. I do not see a free agent that excites me either. Some of our Denver hand me downs have been ok but none truly stood out. Plummer may be something to get by with but not take us much further, same with Sage. That being said, why not keep Carr one more year and eliminate one year of salary/bonus? If he does well, keep him or have better trade options for the next year. If he does no better, we have not lost much. I do not see Plummer or anyone else this season bringing more wins. Train Kolb and then look hard at the QBs available after this season. We should take care of LT (Spencer or a pick), CB (f/A or draft) RB (AP or another pick) L/B (draft or F/A) and maybe add a safety. We should be in much better shape to decide on QB in 2008 if Carr/Kolb do not work out.
Old 02-07-2007   #16
texan_fan_8
Rookie

Quote:
Here's a fun question.

Titans game where he was benched and then out played. He needed not to be put back in and relegated to back up from that point on.
texan_fan_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #17
texan_fan_8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
IMO there are no Qbs in draft this year to take us to another level. I would select Kevin Kolb from UH in 2or 3rd and pray hard. I do not see a free agent that excites me either. Some of our Denver hand me downs have been ok but none truly stood out. Plummer may be something to get by with but not take us much further, same with Sage. That being said, why not keep Carr one more year and eliminate one year of salary/bonus? If he does well, keep him or have better trade options for the next year. If he does no better, we have not lost much. I do not see Plummer or anyone else this season bringing more wins. Train Kolb and then look hard at the QBs available after this season. We should take care of LT (Spencer or a pick), CB (f/A or draft) RB (AP or another pick) L/B (draft or F/A) and maybe add a safety. We should be in much better shape to decide on QB in 2008 if Carr/Kolb do not work out.

I really don't want david training anyone and passing down his bad , its not my fault attitude. Negativity breeds and frankly we just dont need it.
texan_fan_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #18
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm glad you asked that...lol
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #19
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

I can't put all the Bills game on Carr. You guys seem to forget two 80 yard touchdowns scored on the secondary. Carr is a QB, not CB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read