Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2007   #1
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Post Defensive Playcalling

Does anybody else notice the defensive playcalling during games? That is a problem. Recall the Buffalo game? Richard Smith called a Soft Cover 2 at the end of the game. Did he not think Losman was going to look down the middle of the field for someone? What's with Petey covering Lee Evans? Why not have Dunta cover him? Those are just a few examples. I don't like the spots the players are put in sometimes...I just don't think it's fair to blame the players all the time..the coaches aren't perfect either.

I'm also sick and tired of our pass defense getting ripped apart by good QBs like Manning and Brady. All we do is sit back in soft zone coverages against guys like this and I'm left scratching my head wondering why?? How about some aggressiveness?
Old 02-05-2007   #2
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP
Default Re: Defensive Playcalling

Nevermind wrong topic!

Last edited by TwinSisters; 02-05-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: wrong topic
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #3
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
Does anybody else notice the defensive playcalling during games? That is a problem. Recall the Buffalo game? Richard Smith called a Soft Cover 2 at the end of the game. Did he not think Losman was going to look down the middle of the field for someone? What's with Petey covering Lee Evans? Why not have Dunta cover him? Those are just a few examples. I don't like the spots the players are put in sometimes...I just don't think it's fair to blame the players all the time..the coaches aren't perfect either.

I'm also sick and tired of our pass defense getting ripped apart by good QBs like Manning and Brady. All we do is sit back in soft zone coverages against guys like this and I'm left scratching my head wondering why?? How about some aggressiveness?
We got considerably better as the season went on defensivley (compare Indy game 1 with Indy game 2). Also, our CB's play sides of the field, not individual WR's, which I dont like, but most teams do that. That was Smith's first go as a Defensive Coordinator, so Im sure its a learning process for him just like it is the payers.
Old 02-05-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big Richard Smith fan, and his playcalling is one of my big concerns. He lets his emotional state-of-mind dictate his decisions (like when he refused to blitz for a game because the media was questioning his playcalling).

However, I think adding Bush to the defensive staff will make a big difference. He's a Kubiak man, and I woudn't be surprised to see him as our defensive coordinator somewhere down the line. Smith's days are numbered in Houston, IMHO.
Old 02-05-2007   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm not a big Richard Smith fan, and his playcalling is one of my big concerns. He lets his emotional state-of-mind dictate his decisions (like when he refused to blitz for a game because the media was questioning his playcalling).

However, I think adding Bush to the defensive staff will make a big difference. He's a Kubiak man, and I woudn't be surprised to see him as our defensive coordinator somewhere down the line. Smith's days are numbered in Houston, IMHO.
I'm with you here. Although Smith is still our DC, I hope Bush will be allowed to demonstrate some of his ideas/schemes this upcoming season. Bush might even help persuade Dansby to come on over to the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read