Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-04-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where does Peyton Manning rank among the all time greats?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...tranker?id=662

ESPN is wondering how Peyton ranks among the all time greats. I put him at #3. Sportsnation has him at #3 as well. He's sort of like Marino with a championship now. Where do you rank 'em?

Sports nations rankings:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach
Old 02-04-2007   #2
Bob_A
Rookie

Default Re: Where does Peyton Manning rank among the all time greats?

There is John Unitas, then there is Joe Montana, then there is everyone else.
Old 02-04-2007   #3
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I would still have him in the same spot... down around 7 to 8.

The pre-78 Quarterbacks had tougher pass coverage rules, and Manning needed that lifted to perform at the level he does.

that list is a bunch of crap. Why would Starbauch be on it and not Len Dawson or Joe Namath.

O yeah because Aikman is also... I smell fish ( or trich ).
Old 02-04-2007   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted 30 minutes ago and he was #5. It looks like people have taken this as a large step. Obviously it is but I still don't rank him ahead of some multiple winners and others.
HoustonFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

ESPN is wondering how Peyton ranks among the all time greats. I put him at #3. Sportsnation has him at #3 as well. He's sort of like Marino with a championship now. Where do you rank 'em?

Sports nations rankings:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach
when he's all finished i think he'll be top 5, which that varies from person to person.

For me & for who i've seen actually play in their primes:

Montana/Manning
Elway
Marino
Aikman/Favre

I'm sure the old heads can & will make a case for Johnny Unitas to be in their somewhere, but as i stated, this is my list for who i've actually seen play.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Brady
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Marino
8. Young
9. Aikman
10. Bradshaw

My list.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #7
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

its harder to win multiple super bowls now than it was in the past, so i think manning gets a break there.
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2007   #8
riverside
Rookie

Peyton Manning, the Field General is the single greatest player to ever grace the gridiron.

Although some may say I am a bit biased.
riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
My top 5, with Elway being the best that ever stepped on the field.
I dunno for sure what the order shoud be for the other 4.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

1: marino
2: montana
3: brady
4: elway
5: manning
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #11
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

1. John Unitas (first revolution of the QB position)
2. Montana (2nd revolution of the QB position)
3. Brady (3 SB and counting)

Everybody else.

I hate these things. Everybody forgets how good guys like Johnny U. and Roger Stauback really were. I'd take Roger over Payton any day of the week.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #12
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_A View Post
There is John Unitas, then there is Joe Montana, then there is everyone else.
I hear great things about Johnny U but i've never seen him play. So I can't comment about him but i'm pretty much with you. I'd take Montana any day of the week. But Manning is there with em', yesterday just cemented his place among the all time greats.
Old 02-05-2007   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
1. John Unitas (first revolution of the QB position)
2. Montana (2nd revolution of the QB position)
3. Brady (3 SB and counting)

Everybody else.

I hate these things. Everybody forgets how good guys like Johnny U. and Roger Stauback really were. I'd take Roger over Payton any day of the week.
Manning is in the process of revolutionizing the QB role as we speak. he may b the first QB/coach of a team. No one is given more offensive authority on the field than Manning.
Old 02-05-2007   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning - Has elements of all these & other greats from the past so it's only fitting that he's going to break almost every major record for Qb's & IMO you could insert him anywhere near the top with Montana, Elway & Unitas in my top 5, he's at no less than 4 in my book.

Montana - the 1st real QB i ever saw, accurate within inches, Pocket Prescence,multiple superbowls & probably the strongest mental game of them all.

Elway - probably the most complete of his era IMO, gun, accurate, Pocket presence, could run if you needed him to, just all around, a very bad man.

Marino - Mr. "yeah i'm going to pass & it ain't a thing you can do about." Best pure passer of them all could just make the stingiest defense look straight silly at times, gun mounted up on his shoulders just an absolute privledge to watch that man play.

Favre - Tough as nails, that absolutley ridiculous consecutive starts streak, a fighter & if Elway & Marino had a guns, this dude has a Navy cannon, it scared me a times at how hard he threw it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: Where does Peyton Manning rank among the all time greats?

The real list:

1. VINCE YOUNG
2. Everyone else

Old 02-05-2007   #16
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The real list:

1. VINCE YOUNG
2. Everyone else

That's a good one!
Old 02-05-2007   #17
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Manning is in the process of revolutionizing the QB role as we speak. he may b the first QB/coach of a team. No one is given more offensive authority on the field than Manning.
Actually, having the plays sent in by the coach is a relatively new concept. Most of the older QBs like Unitas and Star, called their own plays. I'm not talking about getting to choose a play out of two plays like Payton, I'm talking about calling every offensive play. Stabler was the last QB that I know of who called his own plays and he retired in 1984.

Granted Payton is a very good QB and has mastered the position, but their is nothing original about his game. Brady is the same way. There is nothing original about his game either, he just happens to be the best available right now.

The definition of Greatness is when everything before you is obsolete and everything after you bare's your mark.

The only current QB who has a chance to meet this definition of greatness is Vince Young. Note, I said chance. Vince has a long way to go before we can classify him with Unitas and Montana. Otherwise, none of todays QBs come close to fitting this definition of greatness.

Last edited by Wharton; 02-05-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #18
Boxscore
All Pro

Quote:

Sports nations rankings:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach
How can Sportsnation leave Joe Namath off of this list? If you agree he should be on the list, who would you take off?

Last edited by Boxscore; 02-05-2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: made post answer an additional question
Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

and where is Warren Moon?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #20
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 28439 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

MY LIST: (im only 21, so im only gonna rank QBs i've seen play)

1.Elway
2.Brady
3.Aikman
4.Young
5.Marino
6.Manning
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read