Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-04-2007   #1
Bongo59
Veteran

Default I just want to say to the fans of the Oilers............

and the Titans..............even if your allegiances changed with the move or they remained the same............both of our teams fans should be proud that our teams have done something historic..............today will mark the first time that two black HC will coach in the SB..............but a greater thing has also occured.................the Oilers/Titans have drafted three black QB's and all three have made the pro bowl..............they are the first team in NFl history to finally prove that the color of ones skin has nothing to do with how elite a QB can be..............I hope today you all remember how hard it was for Warren Moon............before he was an Oiler............what McNair had to endure...............and how easy they both made it for VY................I will raise my first drink to all three QB's...........in 15 yrs things have changed and fans in Houston and TN know we were the leaders in this endevor.................and watching each one was rather extraordinary for us as fans...............
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #2
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I just want to say to the fans of the Oilers............

Not sure how you say "both" teams. The Texans have yet to draft a black QB, however that doesn't mean anything (yet).

I still think some fans in Houston still have issues with having a black QB, though I think they are in a small minority. While many were against drafting Vince Young for football reasons, there were a few posts here and there that reaked of racism. I think I just replied to those like "I get where your coming from, your credibility is lost".
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #3
Bongo59
Veteran

Hookem...........we both know most of you loved the Oilers............Moon and Mac were black oiler draftees..........now VY is from Houston and he is also the third straight black draftee at QB.............its a sense of pride for both sets of fans because we have been beneficiaries in being able to enjoy all three QB's.............its a point of pride for me..............and privelege that I thought I would share...................
Old 02-04-2007   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans do however have a black GM.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #5
Bongo59
Veteran

I moved from the woodlands to Nashville with the team...........I kept my allegiance............most stayed in Houston and have the Texans now................but the fact remains the fan base of Hou and TN will always be linked.............there is no way for the fan to separate the history.................Moon Mac and VY all have reached a pinnacle that most in the league thought was impossible as late as the early 80's..........................looking back now it was a ridiculous posture............but the oilers/titans broke a big barrier...............one that is more important than what is happening on the sidelines today.................I am proud to say I rooted for all three very loudly and got to see them play for my team.
Old 02-04-2007   #6
DenverBorn
Veteran

The Oilers didn't draft Moon, I believe they signed him as a free agent after he played 5 or so years in the Canadian Football League

The more that I wait, the more time that I waste
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

"Moon and Mac were black oiler draftees"

Moon was not a draftee, was signed from the CFL--a great player!!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2007   #8
Bongo59
Veteran

true.............but they did go out and sign him............and since he became the QB the team in Houston and TN has been led by a black QB...................the first team in NFL history that has had three straight franchise QB's be black and all make the probowl.............we may fight about the Oiler Texan split and all the bud crap.............but as fans we are still brothers in a sense................I have a brother who is alot like Hookem.............a big Texans fan now but he'll never forget our times in Oiler land in Houston.............we still talk about it.............and him and I will be wearing columbia blue in Canton this August just as we have done for every other Oiler induction................the bottom line is these two teams are married to each other in a bizarre fashion..............the fans base is that reason......................and I am proud that we were the first team to have three black probowl QB's.
Old 02-04-2007   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59 View Post
...there is no way for the fan to separate the history.................
On the contrary, it's quite easy to separate the history. The history of the Houston Oilers ended in 1996. Being from Houston, that's about all I cared about.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #10
Bongo59
Veteran

that is a good MB facade.....................but i will agreew ith you as Oiler player disappeared from Titan rosters my brother says it has gotten easier to say there is a difference.............I think VY may resolidify that bond a bit longer.
Old 02-04-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that is a good MB facade.
Then someday maybe I'll have the 'pleasure' to meet you Doc, so I can tell you that to your face. Then maybe you'll realize that it's not a facade. Your perceptions are not quite as real as you may think.

Last edited by aj.; 02-04-2007 at 02:55 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the first team in NFL history that has had three straight franchise QB's be black and all make the probowl
What?

2 straight: McNair and VY, maybe. But 3? No. You're forgetting the years in between Moon and McNair. There were several white QB's in there including Chris Chandler who was the starter while McNair was learning.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #13
Bongo59
Veteran

Chandker NOD and Volek were substitue teachers...............they were never considered franchise QB like Moon Mac and VY were............That in itself should be intuitive..............
Old 02-04-2007   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Not sure how you say "both" teams. The Texans have yet to draft a black QB, however that doesn't mean anything (yet).

I still think some fans in Houston still have issues with having a black QB, though I think they are in a small minority. While many were against drafting Vince Young for football reasons, there were a few posts here and there that reaked of racism. I think I just replied to those like "I get where your coming from, your credibility is lost".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn View Post
The Oilers didn't draft Moon, I believe they signed him as a free agent after he played 5 or so years in the Canadian Football League
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
On the contrary, it's quite easy to separate the history. The history of the Houston Oilers ended in 1996. Being from Houston, that's about all I cared about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What?

2 straight: McNair and VY, maybe. But 3? No. You're forgetting the years in between Moon and McNair. There were several white QB's in there including Chris Chandler who was the starter while McNair was learning.
Jeez, getting a little picky here aren't we? I think we all understand the point of this post: The Oilers/Titans franchises were instrumental in paving the way for successful African American Quarterbacks.

All this other arguing is a little tedious to read
Old 02-04-2007   #15
DarkNinja
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What?

.....There is always a punk that tries to skate uphill.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say the Edmonton Eskimos were the ones that paved the way, Moon wanted to be a QB but the NFL didn't think that way, So with the success of Moon in the CFL, gave him the shot to exceed here..

In reguards to Moon.. Doug Williams was another story
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #17
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
And there is always the one who initiates name calling.

MB bravado.

Old 02-05-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post

There was no need to overstate his case. If something isn't true, it isn't true. It doesn't matter whether or not the untruth gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, it's still a lie.

All he had to say was that the Oilers/Titans organization has been pivotal in the acceptance of afroamerican quarterbacks in the NFL. They are probably the only organization to have 3 great black quarterbacks. And they've done a lot to dispel the myth that the only reason to have a black qb is if they're a running qb like Vick.

That is a great and wonderful thing without having to tell a lie. It's like saying that Bud Adams was an integral part of the effort to free the slaves prior to the Civil War. The abolitionist movement was a wonderful thing and everything but Bud Adams was way too young to be "integral" to the movement at that point.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

If memory serves, the Oilers hired Hugh Campbell, former Eskimo head coach, as a figurehead coach to lure Warren Moon to the Oilers. Once Moon was an Oiler, Hugh's days were numbered.

Man, I didn't sound much like an Oiler fan there, did I, but that is how I remember it going down.
Old 02-05-2007   #20
Brazos-V
Oilers/Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
In reguards to Moon.. Doug Williams was another story
Doug Williams was no joke, but remember he wasn't their starter. He was pitching relief.

Moon, McNair, Young. Here's to ya.
Brazos-V is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read