Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-03-2007   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default UFA Justin Smith from Bengals a Texan?

Would it be possible that we could sign him and still have cap room for other free agents, or is he wanting a deal that is like the size of Nate Clements...
I think with this addition, he would solidify our defensive line and then we would be able to focus on our other major needs like S,OL,CB,RB...

If we can get him, I want to see us get at least Michael Lewis and a guy like Jordan Black who can play tackle...

what do you think, is it possible?
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UFA Justin Smith from Bengals a Texan?

I don't want to break the bank again for the D-line.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #3
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
Would it be possible that we could sign him and still have cap room for other free agents, or is he wanting a deal that is like the size of Nate Clements...
I think with this addition, he would solidify our defensive line and then we would be able to focus on our other major needs like S,OL,CB,RB...

If we can get him, I want to see us get at least Michael Lewis and a guy like Jordan Black who can play tackle...

what do you think, is it possible?
I have a question, how much 3-4 and 4-3 do the Bengals play? I thought they were running a 3-4. But I guess i am wrong on this. He seems steady, and solid. He has a 91 game streak going, had 81 tackles, for a lineman that is alot. He is also a former 1st rounder, so he may not be cheap, plus the Bengals are close to a playoff team and we are not.

All that said he would be a nice addition, but I would not hold my breath that he is coming here.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #4
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I don't want to break the bank again for the D-line.
you're absolutely right. while i would love having a playmaker like Justin Smith on our D-Line, i don't think it would be worthwhile to spend ALL of our money on him. Besides Dwight Freeney, Smith is the hottest DE free agent out there...of course he's going to want mega money. Is Justin Smith a choir boy on Sundays??? because if he is, the Texans may just try to get him. You know how they LOVE those good character guys. I mean, if a star player came to us and said he WANTED to play for us, but just happened to have gotten arrested for shoplifting when he was 18...probably wouldn't happen. What's with always wanting to take the good guy?
Old 02-04-2007   #5
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
you're absolutely right. while i would love having a playmaker like Justin Smith on our D-Line, i don't think it would be worthwhile to spend ALL of our money on him. Besides Dwight Freeney, Smith is the hottest DE free agent out there...of course he's going to want mega money. Is Justin Smith a choir boy on Sundays??? because if he is, the Texans may just try to get him. You know how they LOVE those good character guys. I mean, if a star player came to us and said he WANTED to play for us, but just happened to have gotten arrested for shoplifting when he was 18...probably wouldn't happen. What's with always wanting to take the good guy?
I think that's a bit of a stretch but whatever you say. Yeah, we want character guys. Why? So we will develop team chemistry and not have a bunch of me first kind of guys like the T.O.s and Chris Henrys of the world. I doubt we would turn down a guy just because he shoplifted when he was young. I think it has more to do with attitude. I would imagine we interview the guy, see what kind of head is on his shoulders, and then think about what to do from there. I see nothing wrong with this approach. But this is also coming from the same guy who makes Chris Taylor out to be the next LT.
Old 02-04-2007   #6
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I think that's a bit of a stretch but whatever you say. Yeah, we want character guys. Why? So we will develop team chemistry and not have a bunch of me first kind of guys like the T.O.s and Chris Henrys of the world. I doubt we would turn down a guy just because he shoplifted when he was young. I think it has more to do with attitude. I would imagine we interview the guy, see what kind of head is on his shoulders, and then think about what to do from there. I see nothing wrong with this approach. But this is also coming from the same guy who makes Chris Taylor out to be the next LT.
Not LT, but I do put him in the Willie Parker mold...without a doubt
Old 02-04-2007   #7
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I have to agree with MT. Going after a Smith is too much. We have some serious holes we need to fill.

I think MW playing on a healthier foot makes the D-line and while I'd like to see us shore up the interior. Another DE isn't a priority to me.
Old 02-04-2007   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73208 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

too costly IMO. i think our d-line is going to be fine after we get everyone resigned and healthy. my faith in babin hasnt wavered and we've got weaver, TJ, payne, kalu, mario & whichever of the DT's we bring back already. we're safe enough on the d-line, but a mid-round draft pick on a DE would be nice.
Old 02-04-2007   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
too costly IMO. i think our d-line is going to be fine after we get everyone resigned and healthy. my faith in babin hasnt wavered and we've got weaver, TJ, payne, kalu, mario & whichever of the DT's we bring back already. we're safe enough on the d-line, but a mid-round draft pick on a DE would be nice.
Is Payne going to be able ot come back? He's had a horrible stretch of luck the last 3 yrs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire or be PUPed.
Old 02-04-2007   #10
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Texans needs as I see it.

Offense -
OL - T and OC (Flannagan is not the answer long term and I am not sure about Spencer and his health).
RB - franchise type RB like AD
QB - carr is not the answer

Defense -

DT - dominant tackle who can push the pocket and free Mario form double team.
DE - We need another pass rushing DE, Weaver is not much of pass rushing threat and Babin really hasn't done much since being selected and Peek hasn't stayed healthy all season. This off season we will loose Peek any way.
OLB - Both OLB position needs massive upgrade.
CB - We need some one to play across of Dunta Robinson (Houston may be a good option in second round this year).
Safety - We definitely need FS but it would be nice to have better SS as well.

Special Team - Both kickers and punters needs to be up graded immediately.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #11
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
Not LT, but I do put him in the Willie Parker mold...without a doubt
I hope you're right. I will personally put my support in you as a new scout for the Houston Texans if you are right. I would definitely take a change of pace, Willie Parker kind of back on this team.
Old 02-05-2007   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73208 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Is Payne going to be able ot come back? He's had a horrible stretch of luck the last 3 yrs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire or be PUPed.
i havent heard anything on him so i'm not sure what's going to happen, but he's one of my favorites so i'm hoping he's back next season. it's very possible that he'll still be hurt, is considering retirement, or could even be cut since he's not one of kubiak's players. like all of our injured players (DD, payne, spencer) we cant just pencil him in, but with the amount of adequate d-linemen we have i dont make DT or DE a top priority.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read