Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why is everyone so high on Chris Taylor?

As the offseason for us continues to go on, I keep hearing more and more about how we no longer need a running back because we have Chris Taylor. What!?

Since when was Chris Taylor the answer??? Lets review his history:

-Undrafted rookie (For some reason ESPN says he was drafted in 01 by the Steelers? lol)
-Played sparingly in the preseason
-Played at least a few snaps in only 2 regular season game
-Spent most of the season on the practice squad

Here are some reasons I hear a lot of people are excited:
1. He played very well in training camp/preseason.
First off, he was worse than Lundy, and going up against worse defenders, and we all know how well preseason production translates to regular season games.

2. He average 5 yards per carry in his regular season starter debut.
So? He played against cleveland in the last game of the regular season. They had a terrible defense, got worse as the year progressed, and this game meant absolutely nothing. How did he do against Indy? Oh yeah, 3 yards per carry. The exact same conditions that Dayne rushed for well over 100 yards.

He may turn out to be an OK player for us, but I would never consider this tiny look into his production as a reason to gloss over our need for a full time starting RB next season.
Old 02-03-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is everyone so high on Chris Taylor?

The same reason some people are high on Rosenfels....fans get tired of a lack of production at a given position and want a change. I didn't see anything special myself, although he may end up a decent player long term...perhaps.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The same reason some people are high on Rosenfels....fans get tired of a lack of production at a given position and want a change.
Its smart to want a change after the last few years, but to throw all our eggs into Sage + Taylor is putting all your trust into a completely uncharted water. Go for the proven talents and leave the speculation up to teams who can afford to take misses
Old 02-03-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Its smart to want a change after the last few years, but to throw all our eggs into Sage + Taylor is putting all your trust into a completely uncharted water. Go for the proven talents and leave the speculation up to teams who can afford to take misses
just fans talking football....we don't have eggs.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
As the offseason for us continues to go on, I keep hearing more and more about how we no longer need a running back because we have Chris Taylor. What!?

Since when was Chris Taylor the answer??? Lets review his history:
I am high on Chris Taylor, but I don't think that he should be an every down back. I think the answer is not Chris Taylor, but a Ron Dayne + Chris Taylor combo. It would also be nice to get a running back, I'm looking at Adrian Peterson in the 1st or Lorenzo Booker in the 3rd-4th round. If we don't address RB, I'd be fine with that also.

Quote:
-Undrafted rookie (For some reason ESPN says he was drafted in 01 by the Steelers? lol)
-Played sparingly in the preseason
-Played at least a few snaps in only 2 regular season game
-Spent most of the season on the practice squad
The reason Taylor was on the practice squad wasn't because he was a bad RB or something, it was because of his "fumbling problem". But I still agree with you for the most part.

And the Steelers thing, I noticed that before too, there must have been another Chris Taylor that played then and now is probably out of the league.
Old 02-03-2007   #6
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never seen a player get so much hype from so little production. You'd think a gem like this wouldn't have gotten stuck on the practice squad for almost the entire season without getting picked up by another team.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'm sure he has potential, and wouldn't mind him being part of this team's future, but I am not ready after 28 carries to put all of my eggs in the Chris Taylor basket.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2007   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Try letting more go in one ear and out the other.

Same with not hanging on every word written by guys like Justice.

Apply the pareto principle...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #9
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I've never seen a player get so much hype from so little production. You'd think a gem like this wouldn't have gotten stuck on the practice squad for almost the entire season without getting picked up by another team.

...thought you were talking about Carr, until I read your 2nd sentence, which makes this an even 'sorrier' situation==play poorly/stay the starter.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #10
Navy_Chris
All Pro

If Chris Taylor had been a 3rd or 4th round pick, people would be saying "yeah, let's give him a shot". But, since he was undrafted, it's automatically assumed that he's no good. Why is that? Pittsburgh didn't fall asleep and have that same attitude with Willie Parker....so why is everyone taking that approach with Chris?? He started 1 game, granted. BUT, he ran for 99 yards and a TD. Why bring in a guy like Peterson or Booker or..anybody else for that matter...when we've already got a guy capable of putting up those kinds of numbers game in and game out? Please, somebody tell me.
Old 02-03-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Proven talent costs more...... & are just as much a gamble as potential talent.

I'd understand if we draft Adrian Peterson. Part of me would really like us to...... part of me.. wants that top 10 defense.

We've got Ron Dayne........ that's our veteran TailBack. We don't need to go into the offseason looking for a salty dog. We've seen enough of Ron Dayne(I think) to believe we should have an adequate running game in '07.

Chris Taylor..... from what we've seen of him, I think we have a lot to look forward to. If our Offensive line can pull it together.... we'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

OF course, we could get Adrian Peterson.... if our OL can pull it together... could he be the next Terrell Davis....

tough decision...

except that AD is no more proven than Ron Dayne or Chris Taylor in this league.
Old 02-03-2007   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
when we've already got a guy capable of putting up those kinds of numbers game in and game out? Please, somebody tell me.
Because has NOT proven that he could repeat this performance game in game out...There are about 50 frauds for every undrafted FA running back who is worth something. None of us hate Chris Taylor, but not adressing RB in Free Agency or in the draft based on a single game is flat out poor football management. Remember Parker had a nice game at the end of 2004, and then was in RRBC during 2005, before Pittsburgh trusted him to be the starter in 2006. In relation, the Texans/Taylor are at the end of 2004 on the Parker timeline. In other words, we need to see Taylor in the RRBC mode (i.e. he need to show he play game in game out).
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We've got Ron Dayne........ that's our veteran TailBack. We don't need to go into the offseason looking for a salty dog. We've seen enough of Ron Dayne(I think) to believe we should have an adequate running game in '07.
Ron Dayne is unrestricted FA, and until he actually resigns we can't count on him.
Old 02-03-2007   #14
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Because has NOT proven that he could repeat this performance game in game out...There are about 50 frauds for every undrafted FA running back who is worth something. None of us hate Chris Taylor, but not adressing RB in Free Agency or in the draft based on a single game is flat out poor football management. Remember Parker had a nice game at the end of 2004, and then was in RRBC during 2005, before Pittsburgh trusted him to be the starter in 2006. In relation, the Texans/Taylor are at the end of 2004 on the Parker timeline. In other words, we need to see Taylor in the RRBC mode (i.e. he need to show he play game in game out).
But if AD or Lorenzo Booker is brought in, Chris Taylor would automatically go to the bottom of the depth chart and be forgotten about. That's my opinion. I understand people that want him to prove himself...what I'm saying is that we would be smart not to let this guy go or just bury him on our depth chart.
Old 02-03-2007   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
But if AD or Lorenzo Booker is brought in, Chris Taylor would automatically go to the bottom of the depth chart and be forgotten about. That's my opinion. I understand people that want him to prove himself...what I'm saying is that we would be smart not to let this guy go or just bury him on our depth chart.
That's known as competition. If he can't prove he is a better, more reliable option than Wali Lundy and a (of late) chronically injured Domanick Williams, then he will be buried. If he is a HOF RB just waiting for his chance as you say, then he should be able to dig himself out without much problem. If AP is there at #8 we can't let the current players on our roster prevent us from drafting him.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #16
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269 View Post
That's known as competition. If he can't prove he is a better, more reliable option than Wali Lundy and a (of late) chronically injured Domanick Williams, then he will be buried. If he is a HOF RB just waiting for his chance as you say, then he should be able to dig himself out without much problem. If AP is there at #8 we can't let the current players on our roster prevent us from drafting him.
I'm almost afraid that the Texans are blind to this guy's potential as a RB. Obviously, if this guy can run for 99 yds/game than the fact that he was undrafted makes him that much more valuable. We should not waste our time or money at the RB position in the draft or free agency. We need to be focused on more pressing needs, such as G, DT, OLB, CB, FS, and SS. If no one has noticed, our pass defense leaves a whole lot to be desired. Our RBs (Taylor, Dayne, Lundy) are going to be more than adequate to do the job for the Texans.
Old 02-03-2007   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Why??? It is not like he was a dynamic, productive college player. If he is good he will maintain a roster spot and be ready to go if (normally when with Rbs) the starter misses time. What would not be smart is to depend on him becoming a quality NFL player when nothing in his history (outside of one football game) says that he is an highly skilled talented player. If i were a coach, I would much rather bank my career on A. Peterson's talent than hoping that Taylor is some diamond in rough that all 32 team did not care enough about to draft and thinking that the four good games from Ron Dayne exclude me from looking at the other 7 years of his career.
Old 02-03-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm almost afraid that the Texans are blind to this guy's potential as a RB. Obviously, if this guy can run for 99 yds/game than the fact that he was undrafted makes him that much more valuable. We should not waste our time or money at the RB position in the draft or free agency. We need to be focused on more pressing needs, such as G, DT, OLB, CB, FS, and SS. If no one has noticed, our pass defense leaves a whole lot to be desired. Our RBs (Taylor, Dayne, Lundy) are going to be more than adequate to do the job for the Texans.
& at the same time, our biggest need last year was LT.... & we solved that with a 3rd round pick. Just like that, I expect our F.O. to make some moves, and alleviate some of those needs, and allow us to use that #1 pick on an Adrian Peterson.

I'm not saying I think that's what we should do.... I'm just saying.
Old 02-03-2007   #19
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Navy_Chris = Chris Taylor?

Now it all makes sense.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #20
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Navy_Chris = Chris Taylor?

Now it all makes sense.
Also, notice how John McClain and RJ are always talking bad about the Houston Texans?? I suggest it's time for the Texans to come out of their shell and maybe take a listen or two to what these guys have to say. Do they not hear all the fans the call in and complain day after day about problems they see with the team that are ongoing??

One other thing, Chris Taylor was put into the game for 1 play in the game here against the Titans. He lined up at fullback and ran a wheel route to the middle of the field, was wide open and had only a MLB to beat, which he could've done easily with his speed. Carr didn't even LOOK at him. But he was wide open. That's part of my frustration with the Texans when it comes to the Taylor situation.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read