Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm proud of our FO regarding our Texans

It was a sad year for the NFL. 9 Bengal players were arrested, and their star receiver is now being questioned in a homicide case in Miami. An emerging star on the Broncos was shot to death on New Years eve. Players were being suspended for steroids, drugs, and other illegal activities.

I used to hope that the Texans would take a chance on some of the problem kids (Ahmad Brooks, Marcus Vick, etc), but now I'm really glad they didn't.
Old 02-03-2007   #2
DarkNinja
Veteran

Default Re: I'm proud of our FO regarding our Texans

The problem is trying to get the O-line likable enough to block for David Carr. Its evident they haven't liked him since the franchise started but they blocked for Sage.....hmm.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
The problem is trying to get the O-line likable enough to block for David Carr. Its evident they haven't liked him since the franchise started but they blocked for Sage.....hmm.
A new record for thread hijacking. One post turned a completely non-Carr or OL related issue into a Carr vs. Sage debate. Well done...
Old 02-03-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This has absolutely no significance to this thread...there are plenty of carr threads out there.

I like the fact that the texans don't go for 'problem' guys. I see the majority of the players here are very respectful and good guys. A lot have tremendous stories from their past...and have gone through so many hardships to finally playing for the texans. keep up the good work.

I see that with the Astros as well...houston sports teams in general are a lot classier clubs than most of the others...thanks houston.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

If anyone happened to read the new commish' statement about NFL players committing crimes, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the league enforced penalties increrase. If thats the case, it'll be nice knowing we don't have players likely to miss games for non-injury reasons
Old 02-03-2007   #6
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unbelievable thing to say.

I like being able to be proud of all of our players and our coaches because of the kind of people that they are. I talked to Ryan (can't remember his last name) but he is up there and travels with the team. He is a scout and he was telling us that he is in charge, among other things, running extensive background checks on everyone they are interested in. It's the reason we would never take a "disease" like T.O.

I like our class too.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the class of our Texans is due in large part to our owner, Bob McNair. I really believe, when he started this whole process of getting a NFL team to Houston, he wanted a 1st class organization in every way. And I think the character of the whole organization is a reflection of him. He seems like a classy guy, from what I've seen/read of him. I personally am glad he is willing to sacrifice maybe getting the more talented player in order to get a player of good character. I know that is not a popular view with some, but I feel in the long run it will come back and pay us with interest (as in Super Bowls)! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2007   #8
old football fan
Veteran

Quote:
Please bring back the negative rep just this one time.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #9
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think the class of our Texans is due in large part to our owner, Bob McNair. I really believe, when he started this whole process of getting a NFL team to Houston, he wanted a 1st class organization in every way. And I think the character of the whole organization is a reflection of him. He seems like a classy guy, from what I've seen/read of him. I personally am glad he is willing to sacrifice maybe getting the more talented player in order to get a player of good character. I know that is not a popular view with some, but I feel in the long run it will come back and pay us with interest (as in Super Bowls)! JMHO!
I understand that Bob McNair wants a classy organization. But I think he's let that sort of get in the way of what his prime objective should be....putting fans in the seats and winning football games. Just because Player A has no off-the field problems doesn't mean we should take him over Player B just because Player B may have a little extra baggage with him. In the past, I think that ideology may have hurt us a little bit. Plus, I think adding someone to this team with a little attitude would actually be a good thing.
Old 02-03-2007   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
It was a sad year for the NFL. 9 Bengal players were arrested, and their star receiver is now being questioned in a homicide case in Miami. An emerging star on the Broncos was shot to death on New Years eve. Players were being suspended for steroids, drugs, and other illegal activities.

I used to hope that the Texans would take a chance on some of the problem kids (Ahmad Brooks, Marcus Vick, etc), but now I'm really glad they didn't.
I was so ready to give you some rep on this post, but to lump Darrent Williams in that group with those players just turned me off.

HE was just out having New Years fun on New Years Eve...... no wrong doing whatsoever.. Just an unfortunate guy being targeted by idiots.

There is nothing wrong with unwinding, and going to the clubs, many of us do it, many of our players do it..... heck, one of our guys was tased & arrested..... for no good reason.
Old 02-03-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was so ready to give you some rep on this post, but to lump Darrent Williams in that group with those players just turned me off.

HE was just out having New Years fun on New Years Eve...... no wrong doing whatsoever.. Just an unfortunate guy being targeted by idiots.

There is nothing wrong with unwinding, and going to the clubs, many of us do it, many of our players do it..... heck, one of our guys was tased & arrested..... for no good reason.
I gave him rep for this because it's all true. Yea we don't know the extent of everything that happened that fatefull night for williams but the man sadly died. Whether he or any of his entourage did anything to provoke the stupid person that would actually do this is not known at all.

As far as I know, no texan has died. Fred Weary was pulled over and tazered for a minor incident which he is now bringing more public and possibly suing the houston police dept. I think all gtexan was trying to state is that nobody on our team has gotten in that serious of trouble...the one that got a ticket and 'arrested' was completed unwarranted and blown to extremes. I'm thankful no texan has been even unlucky enough to be any an serious danger.

Rep g.
Old 02-03-2007   #12
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I don't know if I am or not.

One, I don't feel like you should have to prop up a guy for not raping, roidin, stealin, killin', etc.

Two, then if I take that out... I'm left with looking at a bunch of bungeling apes trying to get ants out of a log with a little straw. Fascinating. Really. You know, for a bunch of bungleling apes that is.

let me conjure up what I see when I think of the Texan FO....

Super Bowl Style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNJ8XyFCfo
"Uh, Bob... Gary...Rick... just so you know, we are losing."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uI7A1CzIs
Old 02-03-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

yup, some people with bad morals, principles, and attitudes sure do ruin the rest of it for everybody else. some people think they are owed ***** when they went through nothing and don't deserve *****.
Old 02-04-2007   #14
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

I don't know why every one is so hard on the bengals as an organization. All of the players in the nfl are adults and make their own decisions. The coaches can not keep the players from doing things in their free time. And if you read about chad johnson being questioned in the case the police said they interview everyone that had an acquaintance with the murdered guy. Even the kids mom said she had no idea why they were talking to him especially after the police said he was in no way a suspect. The one person the bengals really took a chance on, Ahmad Brooks, has done nothing wrong. Just because you have a hard time early in life or even if you had a great time growing up does not mean you will or will not get in trouble later. The league needs to find ways of helping these younger guys adjust to their new lives with money instead of just picking the bengals and saying they are out of control. This is the same reason why poor kids in poor school districts do not succeed because most people just label them as wastes as soon as they get in trouble one time intheir lives.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid View Post
I don't know why every one is so hard on the bengals as an organization. All of the players in the nfl are adults and make their own decisions. The coaches can not keep the players from doing things in their free time. And if you read about chad johnson being questioned in the case the police said they interview everyone that had an acquaintance with the murdered guy. Even the kids mom said she had no idea why they were talking to him especially after the police said he was in no way a suspect. The one person the bengals really took a chance on, Ahmad Brooks, has done nothing wrong. Just because you have a hard time early in life or even if you had a great time growing up does not mean you will or will not get in trouble later. The league needs to find ways of helping these younger guys adjust to their new lives with money instead of just picking the bengals and saying they are out of control. This is the same reason why poor kids in poor school districts do not succeed because most people just label them as wastes as soon as they get in trouble one time intheir lives.
When a team has one or two incidents a year, most people follow this line of thought. However, when a team has 9 arrrest in 9 months, there is a problem with the selection process. The organization is doing a poor job of character evaluation. That not only reflects badly the Bengals, but the entire NFL. This hurts performance on the field between suspension and questionable disclipline on the part of individuals. Seriously, I could hire 60 guys straight out of prisons and not have that sort of one year arrest record.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #16
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Paul Tags owes ESPN's Playmakers an apology!Thanks Bengals,Thanks for nothing!

Old 02-04-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd hate to live in Cincy and have that team as my local NFL franchise. I've been critical of the Texans eye for talent but at least they don't hire people with known histories of legal problems. Class is a trait that you don't accidentally luck into.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #18
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'd hate to live in Cincy and have that team as my local NFL franchise. I've been critical of the Texans eye for talent but at least they don't hire people with known histories of legal problems. Class is a trait that you don't accidentally luck into.
What about the gentleman of ours who was driving drunk? I don't exactly remember the details, but I could have sworn that weary wasn't our teams first brush with the wrong side of the law

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #19
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
What about the gentleman of ours who was driving drunk? I don't exactly remember the details, but I could have sworn that weary wasn't our teams first brush with the wrong side of the law
that was marcus coleman about 2-3 years ago. the bengals had something like nine guys arrested in one calendar year.
Old 02-04-2007   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
That was Coleman, who is no longer here. Not sure what our response was to that incident

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read