Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-02-2007   #1
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Thumbs up What about David Ball in Round 6?

In Round 6, I like David Ball, WR from New Hampshire. This kid's got it all in my opinion. He may not have blazing speed, but he's a great route runner with excellent hands...and what more can you ask from a guy that will compete for the #3 spot on the roster? You may remember the name of the previous Division II record holder for receiving TD's in a year. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Jerry Rice, but he definitely has the potential to be a fine WR in the NFL for years to come. I would like to see us give him a shot to prove himself at the NFL level.
Navy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #2
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Re: What about David Ball in Round 6?

no wr posters have made it very clear that they willnot approve....sry
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #3
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
no wr posters have made it very clear that they willnot approve....sry
and....might I ask why? I liked Derrick Lewis over Kevin Walter coming out of the preseason last year...and for some odd reason, the Texans chose to cut him (confused). Derrick and Sage looked awesome when they hooked up in the preseason...but anyway, we need a playmaker as out #3 guy, and Kevin Walter just isn't it.
Old 02-02-2007   #4
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

He's not DII, Hes D1AA or FCS or whatever they call it now. It's the Division ONE schools that make sense and have a playoff system. Plus they spend very little on football in comparison to the football factories.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #5
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I think we can all agree that most 6th and 7th rounders dont or arent expected to make the team or make a difference being picked that late....so why dont we use our 6th to pick up a player that we KNOW will have a huge impact on every game and field positon by drafting Sepulveda as our punter...I dont think anyone will draft him any sooner than this seeing as how he is a punter....what are y'alls thoughts on him and how long do you all think he could last in this draft?
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #6
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
In Round 6, I like David Ball, WR from New Hampshire. This kid's got it all in my opinion. He may not have blazing speed, but he's a great route runner with excellent hands...and what more can you ask from a guy that will compete for the #3 spot on the roster? You may remember the name of the previous Division II record holder for receiving TD's in a year. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Jerry Rice, but he definitely has the potential to be a fine WR in the NFL for years to come. I would like to see us give him a shot to prove himself at the NFL level.
If we can get Ball in the 6th round, I think that would be a steal. He has some great hands, and just seems to always get open.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic View Post
I think we can all agree that most 6th and 7th rounders dont or arent expected to make the team or make a difference being picked that late....so why dont we use our 6th to pick up a player that we KNOW will have a huge impact on every game and field positon by drafting Sepulveda as our punter...I dont think anyone will draft him any sooner than this seeing as how he is a punter....what are y'alls thoughts on him and how long do you all think he could last in this draft?
Sepulveda would make a lot of sense here, but from the way it sounds Kubiak is going to keep leaning on Stanley. I could be wrong, though.

6th and 7th rounders can turn out to be great steals though and I think it's foolish for most GMs to go to sleep after about round 4..like some typically do. Terrell Davis, Tom Brady are the only 2 coming to mind right now. And let's not forget last year's fav 7th rounder...Marques Colston. If the Texans want this year's version of Marques Colston, look no further than David Ball. Our WR depth chart for the 2007 season should look like this:

1. Andre Johnson
2. Eric Moulds
3. Jerome Mathis/Kevin Walter/Derrick Lewis/David Ball
4, 5 and 6. The losers of the battle for #3
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2007   #8
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
If we can get Ball in the 6th round, I think that would be a steal. He has some great hands, and just seems to always get open.
That may be so, but we desprately need a punter than can boot the ball farther than 30yds on a CONSISTANT basis...I think punter is a HUGE need on this team.
Old 02-03-2007   #9
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
That may be so, but we desprately need a punter than can boot the ball farther than 30yds on a CONSISTANT basis...I think punter is a HUGE need on this team.
Punter is a need, but one that can be filled by a free agent or an undrafted rookie. Daniel would be a good pick, but I think he goes in the 4th or 5th.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #10
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
You're definitely right about addressing our punting situation. David Ball may be available in the 7th round even. So, maybe drafting Sepulveda would be a good fit in the 6th round, providing he's still available. I don't think we need to reach for this guy, like the Jets reached on Nugent a few years back.
Old 02-04-2007   #11
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
You're definitely right about addressing our punting situation. David Ball may be available in the 7th round even. So, maybe drafting Sepulveda would be a good fit in the 6th round, providing he's still available. I don't think we need to reach for this guy, like the Jets reached on Nugent a few years back.
I've never seen the guy play so I'll have to take your word on his abilities, BUT if our Oline isnt fixed then we are going to have the same problems with our passing game and thats not having enough time to progress through the reads to get these WR's the ball....I mean c'mon...we have AJ and Moulds on opposite sides and we can hardly get someone other than AJ a look before we either dump off to a RB or get sacked...then comes the punting team and give them great field position which at times I wish carr would just throw it as far as he could and let the other team intercept it cause lord knows it would give us a better chance field position wise....but thats just my 2 cents...
Old 02-05-2007   #12
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

i like david ball- strong, decent speed, good route runner, if he had played in D1 he would be a second round pick. speed should be a question he was a track star in high school.
Old 02-05-2007   #13
stonedtexansfan
Rookie

Another person the texans should look at in the 7th round or rookie FA is DD Terry out of SHSU. Didnt play in 2 games but still rushed for close to 1400 yards. Picks up the blitz, has decent hands out of the backfielf, and is the anchor on the 4x100 relay. Two major concerns are he only play RB his senior year and is very light (6'3 195).
stonedtexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

If he is there, it would be a good idea. He has alot of what you look for in a reciever, including how to get open and find the endzone.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #15
old football fan
Veteran

Quote:
We signed another punter. Cameron Muro, he is playing in NFL Europe. He did the punting when the scouts were looking at Mathis. Believe he is left footed kicker. 6'2" 243 lbs.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Have we not had on the team already receivers with good hands and slower than blazing speed? No longer here. I'm thinking Givens in particular.
Old 02-05-2007   #17
keithparnellCOM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post
We signed another punter. Cameron Muro, he is playing in NFL Europe. He did the punting when the scouts were looking at Mathis. Believe he is left footed kicker. 6'2" 243 lbs.
www.cameronmuro.com
keithparnellCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

IF WR is in the Texan's plans, Ball and Jacoby would be good late round picks.
Old 02-05-2007   #19
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post

If this is so then he's obviously not good enough to come in and earn the job or they would have called him up earlier than this. It's not like we didnt know our punter couldnt win us the field position battle last year...
Old 02-05-2007   #20
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

New Hampshire and David Ball do not play in D-2. It is D-1AA or FCS.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read