Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-02-2007   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Jones from the Cowgirls for a second?

That's what was mentioned in the chronicle this morning. What do you guys think about that deal? Would you be for it or against it and why?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #2
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Default Re: Jones from the Cowgirls for a second?

I like Julius Jones as a RB, but I would be against this deal for one major reason. We have Chris Taylor, who is going to be a stud of a RB for us...if Kubiak will just give him a chance. He had 1...just 1...chance to start last season, and he ran for 99 yards and 1 TD. He looked good catching the ball out of the backfield as well. He was undrafted, and for that reason alone people are automatically writing him off. I am posing this question to all of you out there:

What can Julius Jones, or some other RBs in the league do that Chris Taylor can't do?

I'm not saying this guy is the next coming of LT or anything like that, I just think he deserves a real shot to show what he can do.
Navy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #3
HoustonTexans
Rookie

Although Julius is a good RB, I think we have more pressing needs than to spend our second draft pick on Julius. I say, if we do have a possible diamond in the rough, we give him a chance to show us what he can do. If we draft AP, that's cool too (i just hope he stays healthy). But yes, Taylor ran the ball very well and i like the litttttle bit we saw from him and I hope we see a lot more from him next season.
HoustonTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #4
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexans View Post
Although Julius is a good RB, I think we have more pressing needs than to spend our second draft pick on Julius. I say, if we do have a possible diamond in the rough, we give him a chance to show us what he can do. If we draft AP, that's cool too (i just hope he stays healthy). But yes, Taylor ran the ball very well and i like the litttttle bit we saw from him and I hope we see a lot more from him next season.
If we draft AD, NOT COOL!!! that means we wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who's gonna spend most of his career on the IR, in all likelihood. Plus, Chris Taylor does us no good on the bench watching Peterson and Dayne. Chris Taylor is MONEY!! We would be foolish not to give him a shot! We've made enough bad decisions in the past, please don't add this one to the list.
Old 02-03-2007   #5
Dunta_23
All Pro

Im not saying that Chris Taylor wont be a good RB....but do you think that Kubiak is dumb enough to keep out best RB on the practice squad all year and only activate him for the last game as a backup until Dayne got hurt?

Look at Mike Shanahan...he started an undrafted free agent over Tatum Bell(2nd round pick I believe)....Im sure these guys both can evaluate talent equally....and Ive also read that Kubiak said that Taylor was putting the ball on the ground too much....Im hoping he turns out to be great...but we cant RELY on it
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

No way in hell is Jones worth a second round pick when Edge and Alexander, the MVP last year couldn't get that. Jones is not even that great of a runner and is already splitting carries on his team, thats why he's expendable. He is no upgrade over what we have already. This will be worse than the PBurnt trade. I'm so glad Charlie isn't here, because he would probably pull the trigger on this.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
Im not saying that Chris Taylor wont be a good RB....but do you think that Kubiak is dumb enough to keep out best RB on the practice squad all year and only activate him for the last game as a backup until Dayne got hurt?

Look at Mike Shanahan...he started an undrafted free agent over Tatum Bell(2nd round pick I believe)....Im sure these guys both can evaluate talent equally....and Ive also read that Kubiak said that Taylor was putting the ball on the ground too much....Im hoping he turns out to be great...but we cant RELY on it
Kubiak said that BEFORE Chris had a fumble-free game in his ONLY start of the season. I think it's a thing of the past. Hey, if Chris Taylor doesn't work out (highly doubtful)...Ray Rice will be available next year. Just a little something for all you guys who, for some reason, think Adrian Peterson is a must-have for this team. I hope he's already off the board by the time we get to #8.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2007   #8
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

How many people are going to play the "AP gets hurt" card? Feel free to name them and the total numbre of games missed.

Luckily, we never took McGahee or Gore - that would've sucked!

Get off AP's injury. It's so cliche to spew that crap it's honestly making people look like idiots....
Old 02-03-2007   #9
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA View Post
How many people are going to play the "AP gets hurt" card? Feel free to name them and the total numbre of games missed.

Luckily, we never took McGahee or Gore - that would've sucked!

Get off AP's injury. It's so cliche to spew that crap it's honestly making people look like idiots....
McGahee is routinely hurt and Gorem so far, has proved to be the exception to the injury rule. Injury situation aside, AD just isn't needed in my opinion. Chris Taylor/Ron Dayne/Wali Lundy are already here....and just incase that doesn't work, Ray Rice is available next year, who I would take over AD THIS year. The Texans can afford to pass on this guy...and should pass on this guy.
Old 02-03-2007   #10
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
Chris Taylor/Ron Dayne/Wali Lundy are already here....

You say that like it's a good thing.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #11
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
You say that like it's a good thing.
a VERY good thing. you don't have to have the cliche 1st round, big name RB in Kubiak's system. Gary could take some guy off the street and turn him into a 1,000 yard rusher.
Old 02-03-2007   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Just like he did this past season right?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #13
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Just like he did this past season right?
This past season was a little something called an "experimental season" for Kubiak and Rick Smith. He was trying to evaluate the players and see which ones we could afford to keep/let go in the offseason. If we make the necessary addition to our offensive line (Eric Steinbach), our running game will be well on its way to being one of the league's best in the years to come. Chris Taylor and Wali Lundy, complemented with Ron Dayne pounding it out on short-yardage and goal line situations...I like those odds.
Old 02-03-2007   #14
t_flare
Veteran

yea some people think Kubibak can bring him system down in one year and have it work with Dom Capers/ Caserly players
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

IMO, Kubiak was all over the place in the way he dealt with players. First (ala Morency), if he didn't like your 'style' of play, you were 'history.' Second, if you made a mistake-like a fumble- you were 'relegated' to the practice squad until Gary felt like giving you another chance. Third, if you were on a roll like Dayne was at the end of the year, you were over worked (ala DW) with 76% of the work load resulting in an injury situation like Caper's over worked backs went through. And, of course-if you were David Carr-you played under a different set of circumstances.

As several posters have mentioned, there were at least a couple players-Sage and Taylor are 2-that should have been given more playing time. We would at the very least have a better 'feel' for their true playing potential. Too, let's hope we don't just toss another player-ala Morency-so quickly...

My biggest concern with the offense is our vertical passing game and Kubiak's reluctance to use a 'big' portion of his playbook. I think this is where his 'double standard' of coaching came into play last year--certain players faced his 'dog house' for poor results while others were allowed to stay on the field with the chance of errors by them virtually eliminated by 'high school' game plans...put in just for them...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #16
cbnjwill
Veteran

this to me is a tough call. if your not gonna be able to get a.p. at number 8 then i would do this deal on draft day. the texans had the worst starting combination of rb and qb in the league last yr and they must upgrade these two spots for next yr.if ap is gone and ur not crazy for lynch make the trade jones becomes your starting rb and draft a safety with that 8pick. then all u have to do is replace carr with anybody and u have upgraded ur team going into next yr
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnjwill View Post
this to me is a tough call. if your not gonna be able to get a.p. at number 8 then i would do this deal on draft day. the texans had the worst starting combination of rb and qb in the league last yr and they must upgrade these two spots for next yr.if ap is gone and ur not crazy for lynch make the trade jones becomes your starting rb and draft a safety with that 8pick. then all u have to do is replace carr with anybody and u have upgraded ur team going into next yr
not to be a pain, but Oakland and Tampa Bay had the worst QB/RB combination and had us beat by a long shot. Cleveland is a easy tie, not good company

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-03-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember two guys in particular the Texans drafted Dominick Davis and Benny Joppru. Remember these two guys both had injury concerns coming out of college?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Julius Jones is not worth a second rounder. Or a third rounder. And I would say Moulds is better than Jones so I'm not even sure a fourth rounder. There is a reason the Cowboys would trade him: Marion Barber flat out out performed him. In what games I saw I was not impressed at all with him. And a second round pick for a minor improvement at RB would basically throwing away a pick. I honestly would rather have Ron Dayne starting next year than Julius Jones.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read