Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-02-2007   #1
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Coach ignored LB's concussion

......or......
LB's brain a non factor to begin with.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2751614

Is there anyone out there that has never felt like, "I don't feel well today so I am going to call off of work"? Is there anyone out there who doesn't believe a "head injury" is arguably one of the most serious injuries that a person could get that a doctor would probably say "avoid contact or blows to your head, here....In your case Ted, you need to take a couple of days off work".

I find it a little disturbing that Ted Johnson is trying to make Belichick the root of his depression. I am certain that the recent exposure to Andre Waters' death may have him a little on edge but "give me a break". Wouldn't he be more on target blaming the player he collided with when he received the concussion than he is blaming a coach for telling him his dumb a** needed to participate in a drill?

I suppose now, there will be a criminal law suit coming Belichick's way,
"Assualt with a deadly tackling drill", or something like that.
Old 02-02-2007   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach ignored LB's concussion

I just saw this. That is a shame but I think there is a fine line there and I'm sure Johsnon didn't want to disappoint and the coach wanted him to play.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Another reason to dislike Bill Belichek.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Anyone who's ever played football knows that you go against the coach's wishes at peril to your livelihood. Injuries are a part of the game and as such, players are conditioned to consider the importance of playing time and team contribution over health. It;s the coaches' and training staff's job to keep these players as insulated from harm as possible. It sounds as if Belichick blatantly disregarded Johnson's injury concerns. Of course, it's unfounded accusation at this point, but the Pats would have looked better (or worse) if they had allowed the team doctor to comment on the story.
Old 02-02-2007   #5
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Anyone who's ever played football knows that you go against the coach's wishes at peril to your livelihood. Injuries are a part of the game and as such, players are conditioned to consider the importance of playing time and team contribution over health. It;s the coaches' and training staff's job to keep these players as insulated from harm as possible. It sounds as if Belichick blatantly disregarded Johnson's injury concerns. Of course, it's unfounded accusation at this point, but the Pats would have looked better (or worse) if they had allowed the team doctor to comment on the story.
I would have liked to hear the doctors take on the situation myself, being as it looks like the NFL is starting down the "accountablity" road. I understand a pro player is involved in a condensed career but I would like to think the players are also educated enough to know the possible consequence they face from playing with a head injury. Likewise for the coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read