Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kenny Irons in the second round????

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Some guy on ESPN said we would try to get him in the second if he fell that far and we couldn't get Peterson last night.

What do yall think about that?

I could see this scenario actually playing out. I don't think that AD's gonna be there at 8. Lynch is also a reach at 8.

Kenny Irons may be the 3rd best RB on the board.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/kennyirons.html

He may not be a bad pick in the second, but I would be worried about the role he would play in the zone offensive scheme. He is very quick but would have a difficult time making the trek through an opposing defensive line. I think he would carry the ball in the same fassion that Reggie Bush does in that he will make a break to the outside the second a hole closes on him. I beleive his success would depend too much on him being a break away runner rather than an every down back.

JMO. :aikido:

No after the cal guys preformance in the senior bowl....there are going to be some intersting names start floating up the boards. True cover corners are pruly supply and demand. Everybody wants as many as they can get. Buffalo needs one, jets, San Deigo...start rattleing them off. Looks to me there are only so many division one guys who can transition to the NFL game. They'll be some reaches on them for sure. Houston from Arkansas is starting to float up the gurus boards now. beerlover spoted him four weeks ago. Irons, Josh Willlson, the Syracues guy are not bad corners. Some of the darlin's of the board will drop after the combine. Senior bowl practices sorted some of them out. Combine will flush the protenders from the contendors. I mean Waddle is a great all american...he runs 4.7, do you really want him covering FS/SS for you at this level. I mean I loved the way Brother Bill Bates played with the Cow Polkes. But...the guy was deffinatly a liablity in coverage. Game film is fine. But the eye in the sky don't lie. Neither does the stop watch. guy doesn't have the hips switch , quickness or speed, he can't play cover corner in the NFL. Period.

I think some of you guys have Kenny Irons mixed up with David Irons.

The way I see it is, if we can't get the RB we want in FA or the 1st round because other team took them, settling for Kenny Irons in the 2nd round is not bad at all.

That would be me. My bad.

But rathers Rather have the LB, DE, OR young ZBS Center or play maker befor Kenny. I see no jump in value over what is on the roster currently. What was his senior bowl weight again ? David on the other hand...if that's the cover guy they like...I'd be on board for that. Rather have the bigger guy from Sraycuse but I could live with David. RB , is not the problem.

I remember an earlier report that the Texans seemed interested in Kenny Irons...but it was just a "who the scouts are paying attention to" thing. If he's the BPA in the 2nd I wouldn't mind...most people seem to have attributed his 'struggles' this season to the loss of Marcus McNeill.

I remember an earlier report that the Texans seemed interested in Kenny Irons...but it was just a "who the scouts are paying attention to" thing. If he's the BPA in the 2nd I wouldn't mind...most people seem to have attributed his 'struggles' this season to the loss of Marcus McNeill.

Oh they talked to him alright. Look up Beerlover's posts and the link is on there on one of them. Value in my book would be david 39 and Kenny 71. If what we're talking about is Okoye or Levi, then the CB/DE/ ZBS center, then the running back, I'd have no problem with that. Puts Kolb at the four, which I think is still way to high for him...but at least it's not a two.

If Kubiak likes him enough to take him in the 2nd i have no problem with that. i think this staff will be smart about it. how many people here would have drafted Eric Winston in the 2nd when he fell? A lot...good thing we got demeco and then Winston in the 3rd. Now obviously not all the staff was here last draft but last draft was a lot better than any of them.

I'd like us to see about maybe Kalil in the 2nd or OL. I'd also really like it if a good corner back was there for us.

It was my impression that Kenny was a better prospect than his brother...but draft positions have been known to change.

Yeah well come draft time....corners, De's/Lbs, and OLTs get pushed up. Stop the QB, get to the QB and protect the QB. RB is not in that equation. Runningbacks will be available, every round, all day long, all shapes and sizes, I promise. Gurus like to push the skill guys up the boards and argue over whos better. Bottom line google the draft, check out the encyclpoedia and see what really happens. Get the QB. Cover the QB...proptect the QB.

I'm glad people are starting to get past the dream of AP falling to us. We are talking about a guy who had everyone talking about AP in 04 as a freshman....the sophmore Reggie Bush was an afterthought. So if he shows in the combine and physicals there is no concern over his past injuries (which were never career threatening ones anyways, bad luck really), watch out for an explosion of gushing by media outlets similar to last year with RB. I don't know why mocks including ESPN's perpetuated this completely schewed assumption. If Adrian Peterson is there at 8.....there is a reason....and it won't be because God is smiling down on the Texans.

I'm glad people are starting to get past the dream of AP falling to us. We are talking about a guy who had everyone talking about AP in 04 as a freshman....the sophmore Reggie Bush was an afterthought. So if he shows in the combine and physicals there is no concern over his past injuries (which were never career threatening ones anyways, bad luck really), watch out for an explosion of gushing by media outlets similar to last year with RB. I don't know why mocks including ESPN's perpetuated this completely schewed assumption. If Adrian Peterson is there at 8.....there is a reason....and it won't be because God is smiling down on the Texans.

Oh yes it will be. After all the ridicule we've been through, First shall be last and last shall be first.

In the second round I'd much rather get Michael Bush than Kenny Irons. Michael Bush would have been a high first round pick and would have been ranked higher than Marshawn Lynch if he didn't get injured. And I think Bush would be perfect for us: he's got speed, power, and is a great receiving threat. I think Kenny Irons is a third round pick.

Irons is okay but not until the 3rd or 4th round.

Agreed, I don't like him all that much. He is a solid RB but I don't see him as much of an upgrade over Wali Lundy and he is relatively the same type of runner, and I don't like using our 2nd round pick on that. I think Michael Bush and maybe Tony Hunt will go in front of him in the draft anyways so he could fall to the 3rd, and I'm not even sure that I'd like to see us take him that high.

The way I see it is, if we can't get the RB we want in FA or the 1st round because other team took them, settling for Kenny Irons in the 2nd round is not bad at all.

I think that's what we'd be doing with Irons, settling on taking him if we do get him in the 2nd. I think there will be some far better players available there, and taking him there would classify in my mind of reaching on a guy at a position of need rather than chosing between the best couple guys available.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Morknolle. I think if we can't get either Peterson or Lynch that we may not even draft a running back. Just resign Danyne and go with what we have on the roster for this year and address the RB position in the next draft.

Agreed, I don't like him all that much. He is a solid RB but I don't see him as much of an upgrade over Wali Lundy and he is relatively the same type of runner, and I don't like using our 2nd round pick on that. I think Michael Bush and maybe Tony Hunt will go in front of him in the draft anyways so he could fall to the 3rd, and I'm not even sure that I'd like to see us take him that high.

I think that's what we'd be doing with Irons, settling on taking him if we do get him in the 2nd. I think there will be some far better players available there, and taking him there would classify in my mind of reaching on a guy at a position of need rather than chosing between the best couple guys available.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't like to see us take him at all. He's only about 195, which doesn't fit well with Kubiak's zone running philosophy...He had a sub-par senior season.....

We should draft an Irons from Auburn, but his first name isn't Kenny.

As an Auburn fan, I'm hoping to see Kenny go to a ZBS team. He hits holes well, and is tough for a guy his size. He sees the cutback lanes well. His legs are constantly pumping, and he doesn't fear contact. I think he'd do well in Houston.

Back