Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-31-2007   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Levi Brown?

Recently his stock has seemed to have jumped due to a solid performance at the Senior Bowl (I guess). Now alot of mock drafts have us taking him at #8.

Is this guy a LEGIT BONAFIDE STUD left tackle that will anchor our line for the next 10 years? Or is he just the "next best" after Joe Thomas?

I would hate to waste that high of a pick unless the guy would finally SOLVE our LT problem since there will be so much talent (especially defensively) sitting there at #8...

And to me all of this is awash if Adrian Peterson is available, but it looks more and more like Cleveland will take him and then wait to draft Troy Smith as their QB in round 2 or 3...

Thoughts?
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #2
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default Re: Levi Brown?

he's probably the next best OL. he's not elite IMO. he has pretty good feet, but he's not very consistent with his footwork. if peterson is there, id rather take peterson.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #3
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
Or is he just the "next best" after Joe Thomas?
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!

By all accounts, Brown had a disappointing senior season. He may have turned it on for the senior bowl, and potentially the scouting combine and his on campus pro day. But beware of guys who suddenly get a whole lot better when the money is on the line.

Don't get me wrong, there have been many good players who haven't had great college players. And Brown is probably a first round talent. I just have a hard time picking a guy at number 8 who was, by all accounts, barely in the first round after the college season.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he has a value of $15 million GTD.
Old 01-31-2007   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Staley will be better than Brown despite Brown's good showing at the Senior Bowl.

Staley would be a great addition for a zone-blocking offense. He is a great athlete for an o-lineman.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

If we do get Brown, I hope we can trade down and still get him. I'm not sold on him at the #8 spot yet. If he has a very good Combine, then maybe he's worth it at #8. All I know now is that his stock has been rising since the Sr. Bowl, and before that, he was a mid to late 1st round pick. To me he kinda looks like Spencer with a big powerful upper body, but I don't think he has that "nasty" mentality that they said Spencer has. JMHO!

Football's Future said he may be better at RT. Here's a link: http://www.footballsfuture.com/. Just go to Profiles and click on OL and then Levi Brown.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Levi had a mid-season injury that required scoping his knee & doing some reparing, he only missed two games & worked his way back into playing condition getting stronger each week, now he is fully healed and is showing what he can do. He was also limited by a down year overall for a Penn State program that doesn't push the ball down the field by pass but rather the run. his pass protection is under rated because of PSU system & will learn to get set (keep his weight more on the balls of his feet & his butt down) in a more traditional pro system. what he lacks with his footwork he has overcome with strength, long arms & body girth. these raw skills can be improved and will be at the next level.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Is he Ogden ? NO. Is he Pace ? NO. will he catch Tarik Glenn in two seasons as the best OLT in our division...uh huh. The moment we draft him, he will be the best O-lineman this franchise has ever had...that actually made a feild. I can't argue taking Mario over the Brick last season. I can argue taking the OLT over the frachise RB. Rb has a fifty percent bust rate. The running back is a fifty-fifty proposition. The OLT judging from mid ninties to 2002...is an eighty percent lock. The second thing I heard(read) him say after the Senior Bowl was calling out Joe Thomas to come to the combine and compete for the #1 over all OLT. We'll see if JT takes the bait. Anyway reads to me he is a competitor and ready to go to war for someone. I don't know him or his family. But he looks to be a solid citizen and a good face for the franchise. He looks like a Texan. And is going to look damned good in my eyes in that deep steel blue uniform.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-31-2007 at 07:18 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Is he Ogden ? NO. Is he Pace ? NO. will he catch Tarik Glenn in two seasons as the pest OLT in our division...uh huh. The moment we draft him, he will be the best O-lineman this franchise has ever had...that actually made a feild. I can't argue taking Mario over the Brick last season. I can argue taking the OLT over the frachise RB. Rb has a fifty percent bust rate. The running back is a fifty-fifty proposition. The OLT judging from mid ninties to 2002...is an eighty percent lock. The second thing I heard(read) him say after the Senior Bowl was calling out Joe Thomas to come to the combine and compete for the #1 over all OLT. We'll see if JT takes the bait. Anyway reads to me he is a competitor and ready to go to war for someone. I don't know him or his family. But he looks to be a solid citizen and a good face for the franchise. He looks like a Texan. And is going to look damned good in my eyes in that deep steel blue uniform.
good points ttp

ya know what really impressed me about Levi was his presence, of course he's huge, so are a lot of guys, but he comes off as well put together with a quiet confidence, dry wit & intelligence. the big guy is very smart, I've yet to figure out why the offensive lineman are among the smartest football players but they just are. you know exactly what your getting from him- a big, tough, smart tackle that takes pride in his assingments with the skills & size to start LT for the NFL team who drafts him

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-31-2007   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he catch Tarik Glenn in two seasons as the pest OLT in our division...uh huh. The moment we draft him, he will be the best O-lineman this franchise has ever had...that actually made a feild. I can't argue taking Mario over the Brick last season. I can argue taking the OLT over the frachise RB. Rb has a fifty percent bust rate. The running back is a fifty-fifty proposition. The OLT judging from mid ninties to 2002...is an eighty percent lock.
Dang 3toedpete, you and Beerlover must be Levi's co-agents ?
But I hope you guys really know what you're talking about, because we certainly need a real OLT for now and for the longer term.
Of course not the first OT taken last year but the second one turned out to
be the best OLineman taken in the Draft. So just because Thomas goes before Levi is no guarantee that the Badger will be better.
But I think there's a bigger bust factor for OLTs than you seem to think.
And if I understand what you said, you favored taking Mario over Dbrick last
year, but you would take a tackle, Thomas or Levi, over this years potential
franchise RB - Adrian Peterson ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #11
htownfoozball
Veteran

if both were a guaranteed "Franchise player," who would you rather have?
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

No nunsguy, I'm the guy that's been banging this drum for four years. Some years, there were no legitimate prospect. Other years, we were out of position. Last year, they took a Reggie White/Wiilie Davis prospect. This year there's no excuse. We've waited five years and waisted one good QB prospect. Make an arguement a good RB blue chipper in Dominic Williams. Some say the common theme of DCs demise is his over all lack of ablity. And some say the guy was waisted by lack of draft and free agent suport. I guess it comes down to which way you color your coffee. The sacks speak for themselves. Got the tool and position to heal this five year old wound...my book says you fix that first...this year, then worry about everything else. DC's probably allready a train wecked mess that no one can fix. But...the line needs to be addressed before we bring in the next Judas goat. JMHO. And been that way for four years.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-31-2007 at 07:31 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
Recently his stock has seemed to have jumped due to a solid performance at the Senior Bowl (I guess). Now alot of mock drafts have us taking him at #8.

Is this guy a LEGIT BONAFIDE STUD left tackle that will anchor our line for the next 10 years? Or is he just the "next best" after Joe Thomas?

I would hate to waste that high of a pick unless the guy would finally SOLVE our LT problem since there will be so much talent (especially defensively) sitting there at #8...

And to me all of this is awash if Adrian Peterson is available, but it looks more and more like Cleveland will take him and then wait to draft Troy Smith as their QB in round 2 or 3...

Thoughts?
At this point I'd call him more of a "next best after Joe Thomas". He is definitely a solid player but I am far from convinced that he is a legitimate career LT in the NFL, and I think the coaching staff is really sold on Charles Spencer being our LT, so unless Spencer shows before the draft that he is clearly not going to be healthy then I don't see them using the #8 on Brown. If Joe Thomas somehow fell to us at #8 then I think they would likely go ahead and take him then shuffle Spencer to RT and Winston to RG, but I don't think Brown is that good of a prospect.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle View Post
At this point I'd call him more of a "next best after Joe Thomas". He is definitely a solid player but I am far from convinced that he is a legitimate career LT in the NFL, and I think the coaching staff is really sold on Charles Spencer being our LT, so unless Spencer shows before the draft that he is clearly not going to be healthy then I don't see them using the #8 on Brown. If Joe Thomas somehow fell to us at #8 then I think they would likely go ahead and take him then shuffle Spencer to RT and Winston to RG, but I don't think Brown is that good of a prospect.
And that makes you wrong...Nothing more.
Old 01-31-2007   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

before a couple of the best posters shred each other to bits, lets just agree to keep collecting info and revist this topic later, like after the combine

I want to see their short shuttle times, that would give some indication of their foot speed & ability to move in space. also the lifting, how strong is Brown? I know Thomas is a good shotput thrower in track so I know he is strong, also the official measureables like height, weight & reach. wish we could be in on the interviewing sessions, that one I'm confident in Levi.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-31-2007   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
before a couple of the best posters shred each other to bits, lets just agree to keep collecting info and revist this topic later, like after the combine

I want to see their short shuttle times, that would give some indication of their foot speed & ability to move in space. also the lifting, how strong is Brown? I know Thomas is a good shotput thrower in track so I know he is strong, also the official measureables like height, weight & reach. wish we could be in on the interviewing sessions, that one I'm confident in Levi.
It will be interesting to see their times, although I have my doubts that Joe Thomas will work out at the Combine, especially after skipping the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him wait until his pro day to work out. I expect both will put up pretty solid workouts, but in the end the deciding factor in most picks will be off of game tape, which is what I'm trying to go off of for now.

Quote:
And that makes you wrong...Nothing more.
We'll see.
Old 01-31-2007   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
It will be interesting to see their times, although I have my doubts that Joe Thomas will work out at the Combine, especially after skipping the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him wait until his pro day to work out. I expect both will put up pretty solid workouts, but in the end the deciding factor in most picks will be off of game tape, which is what I'm trying to go off of for now.

We'll see.
I'll be waiting

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-31-2007   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

That beastie would look mighty fine in a deep blue steel uniform is all I know. He'll blow the workouts away. I would sure sleep much better between April and August.
Old 01-31-2007   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We'll see.
I wouldnt be surprised in the least if Quinn or Thomas skips the combine.

Their stock is as high as it is gonna get & Quinn can keep playing the mysterious knee injury that kept him out of the Senior Bowl.

Why risk hurting your stock with a bad performance if a good performance isnt going to help it?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised in the least if Quinn or Thomas skips the combine.

Their stock is as high as it is gonna get & Quinn can keep playing the mysterious knee injury that kept him out of the Senior Bowl.

Why risk hurting your stock with a bad performance if a good performance isnt going to help it?
That's likely the thought that most of these guys have when skipping the Combine. My thought (and my advice if any of them for some reason asked my opinion) would be work out at the Combine so if you do have an off day you can work hard and have a good pro day (most tracks at pro days are faster than at the Combine anyways, so people can run faster at their pro day than in Indy) as a backup plan. If you do really well at the Combine, then you can skip your pro day workout other than whatever drills you might not have done real well with (like Mario and others did last year). If you skip the Combine workout and then have a bad day at your pro day then that's the last impression that teams will have of you (like LenDale White last year). I'd prefer to have two chances at putting up a good workout, but for some guys like Joe Thomas that are a lock to be the top guy chosen at their position I can see why they might not want to work out since they have nothing to gain and can only hurt themselves. Brady Quinn may be feeling some heat from JaMarcus Russell and decide to workout, at this point who knows on him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read