Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Anthony Gonzalez????

any one know anything or have opinions cuz i keep seeing him as our number 2 pick????he is suppose to run a 4.4 and has great hands?????any info or thoughts???

any one know anything or have opinions cuz i keep seeing him as our number 2 pick????he is suppose to run a 4.4 and has great hands?????any info or thoughts???

I think he's definitely going to be a secound rounder after the combine. If he's there, draft him.

I think he's definitely going to be a secound rounder after the combine. If he's there, draft him.
Where does Moulds go? If the slot, where does Walters go? he just signed a large contract one season ago. Lots of $ in our receivers if this happens.

Where does Moulds go? If the slot, where does Walters go? he just signed a large contract one season ago. Lots of $ in our receivers if this happens.

I don't think we can worry about where money is tied up at this point. I think he's going to be a good player in this leauge for a while. I can't say that about Moulds or Walters. I think Gonzales is a pretty complete player and I wouldn't be upset at all if we picked him. He'd just add more explosiveness and weapons for whoever the QB is going to be.

He seems like a pretty solid player to me. It wouldn't be then end of the world for me if we got him but I'd rather see us spend that pick on OT,OG,C,Michael Bush, CB,FS,DE,DT than a wide receiver...i feel we have more needs than wr and there will definitly be a better pick availiable..ala a higher rated player at one of our needs than him.

he'll be a great 2nd round pick for somebody but i dont see it being us.

actually talking to others and researching i htink he can last til the 3rd.....what if we went levi brown then brandon merriweather and then gonzalez?????that way we got our ol, safety, and wr good....esp...b/c we dont know if moulds will resign next year...so get gonzalez and alters involved early so they are ready for the following season?

As and OSU fan, I can tell you that Ginn got all the pub, but every game I watched, I liked Gonzo more. He's 4.4 fast, tough, smart, and great hands. He'd be the 2nd best WR ever on the Texan's roster.

I don't think we can worry about where money is tied up at this point. I think he's going to be a good player in this leauge for a while. I can't say that about Moulds or Walters. I think Gonzales is a pretty complete player and I wouldn't be upset at all if we picked him. He'd just add more explosiveness and weapons for whoever the QB is going to be.
I think we absolutely have to worry about where money is tied up. Can you explain your point? One year ago most were saying how good Walters and Mould would do in our offense.

actually talking to others and researching i htink he can last til the 3rd.....what if we went levi brown then brandon merriweather and then gonzalez?????that way we got our ol, safety, and wr good....esp...b/c we dont know if moulds will resign next year...so get gonzalez and alters involved early so they are ready for the following season?
Personally I see the need to add a corner and outside linebacker before safety or receiver.

I think we absolutely have to worry about where money is tied up. Can you explain your point?

My point is that we have so much wasted money on this team from bad signings and bad draft picks, that it doesn't make any sense to not pick a position because of the money. You'd be limiting yourself. If you are lacking in an area, and you think adding a player will give you a serious upgrade, then you do it.

One year ago most were saying how good Walters and Mould would do in our offense.

Key words being "year ago". At one point a lot of people thought the world was flat. We are humans and have a tendancy to change our minds, especially once we've had a chance to observe the situation.

Personally I see the need to add a corner and outside linebacker before safety or receiver.

Add offensive lineman to that list and you are totally correct. So it all depends on what we do with that first rounder. We go running back, then in the second we need either OL, OLB, CB, and possibly FS. If we go FS, then we need to go RB, OL, OLB, or CB. If we go OL, we need to go RB, OLB, CB, or FS. I just don't see anywhere in the equation where WR is a big enough need for us to take one early in the draft.

Add offensive lineman to that list and you are totally correct. So it all depends on what we do with that first rounder. We go running back, then in the second we need either OL, OLB, CB, and possibly FS. If we go FS, then we need to go RB, OL, OLB, or CB. If we go OL, we need to go RB, OLB, CB, or FS. I just don't see anywhere in the equation where WR is a big enough need for us to take one early in the draft.[/QUOTE]

The only way I see us drafting a WR in the 2nd round is if we get a starting FS and OLB in FA. Otherwise, I agree with you that we have too many other needs to be drafting a WR that high. But, you never know what they will do come draft day! JMHO!

I don't know about a 2nd rounder on him. I think he can fall further than that.

I think he'll end up going in the 2nd round somewhere, but I don't like us drafting him there and don't think we will. From what I have seen of him to this point he looks like a solid WR but nothing overly special. We should easily be able to find a defensive starter in the 2nd round, and at this point I value that much more than getting a slot WR.

My point is that we have so much wasted money on this team from bad signings and bad draft picks, that it doesn't make any sense to not pick a position because of the money. You'd be limiting yourself. If you are lacking in an area, and you think adding a player will give you a serious upgrade, then you do it.

Key words being "year ago". At one point a lot of people thought the world was flat. We are humans and have a tendancy to change our minds, especially once we've had a chance to observe the situation.

So are you saying that you by pass on the D-line and the olines because that is where most of the waisted cap money is ? So there fore you don't bother to attempt to repair them if the repair is out the cost of a better BPA at a posiotoin you're already well stocked at ? Because you've already spent too much money there ? You redraft things you already went out in FA and attempmted to repair last year ? Irregaurgless of the holes, the stock piles of tallent on the club, you go BPA always ? I don't know about this.

If you've got Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Marvin Harrison on your team and youve got the number one pick. You don't take Calvin Johnson even if he's rated the as the best pick/player in the whole draft.

In my opinion you have to look at both and combine the two. BPA and where your needs are. You definitly shouldn't reach because of a need though.

Add offensive lineman to that list and you are totally correct. So it all depends on what we do with that first rounder. We go running back, then in the second we need either OL, OLB, CB, and possibly FS. If we go FS, then we need to go RB, OL, OLB, or CB. If we go OL, we need to go RB, OLB, CB, or FS. I just don't see anywhere in the equation where WR is a big enough need for us to take one early in the draft.

Agreed. Nice post.
Or you move down to garner picks if by miricle one of the offensive studs is staring you in the face and take the chance the move down isn't going to cost you an elite palyer.

If you wait untill the third round On your OLT prospect, you're gambling, Wand gambling, that you're going to hit a jouneyman guy at least, who can hold down the fort untill Spencer, or whoever the guy is in the '08 draft , comes aboard. Also if you're going to wait that long...third. I see no difference between the second two OLT propsects and the free agent late round guys. My book, there's not a dimes bit of difference between them. You're just arguing which warts are the ugliest. I have no probelms with these different scenarios...just want everyone to understand the implications of each. This draft is rich with deffensive tallent. But we have three considerable holes on offense. I can stand it as long as Marknolle can. They go either way, I'm on board. But sooner or later, OLT will have to be addressed.

If you've got Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Marvin Harrison on your team and youve got the number one pick. You don't take Calvin Johnson even if he's rated the as the best pick/player in the whole draft.

In my opinion you have to look at both and combine the two. BPA and where your needs are. You definitly shouldn't reach because of a need though.

This is what the better organizations do. Even if they start with a BPA or Need theory of drafting, they don't ignore the other side. Drafting is not the either/or propostion that we fans like to make it out to be, but how well you figure how to match getting the best players to fill some need (short or long term).

Agreed. The only exception on that would be you were in the last two years of A.J.'s contract and you were certain He was going to jump no matter what you did...and You've got a Calvin Johnson prospect staring you in the face at your pick.

Well then If the guy grades out as better than Brown and McNeil the two Pro bowl starters tackles, both guys we've passed on BTW, is that a reach for need or just pluggin a hole ? I say that is a shrewd hole plugging. Barring a weird injury repeat...we shouldn't have to start over once again. Now in my book that propsect beats a guy who hasn't finished a ten game season, much less a sixteen game season, All Day, every year and twice on leap year. But you give up the chance that he is the next Jim Brown. Just like Reggie Bush was the next Gayle Sayers, nothing is a lock at RB. I like my odds at improvement a lot better.

I like Anthony Gonzalez but i think that we've got much bigger needs like the secondary and the OL. It'll be nice to draft some one like Brandon Meriwether or Aaron Ross if hes available in the second round.

So are you saying that you by pass on the D-line and the olines because that is where most of the waisted cap money is ? So there fore you don't bother to attempt to repair them if the repair is out the cost of a better BPA at a posiotoin you're already well stocked at ? Because you've already spent too much money there ? You redraft things you already went out in FA and attempmted to repair last year ? Irregaurgless of the holes, the stock piles of tallent on the club, you go BPA always ? I don't know about this.

No I never said that. All I was disputing was your original reasoning, which was "we have too much money tied up into the position". And my point was that I don't care about how much money is tied up into a position. If they have Gonzalez rated as the best player at that slot, then they should take him. It'd be different if we were a couple pieces away, but we're not. We have passed on too much talent over the years trying to find guys to fit schemes and paychecks. Really it has nothing to do with Gonzales, and everything to do with selecting talent. At this point I'm not 100 % sure what I want to do with any of our picks.

Back