Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-30-2007   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Singletary to interview for Cowboys

I like this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2747491

"IRVING, Texas -- Add Mike Singletary to the list of candidates to become coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

The Hall of Fame linebacker will interview Tuesday with team owner Jerry Jones. He'll become the eighth candidate considered to replace Bill Parcells.

Best known for his ferocious play with the Chicago Bears, Singletary is a Houston native who played college football at Baylor. He's been coaching in the NFL since 2003, spending two years with Baltimore and the last two with the San Francisco 49ers.

Another 49ers assistant, offensive coordinator Norv Turner, has been viewed as the front-runner in Dallas, but he returned to the Bay Area following his interview Sunday.

The Cowboys already have hired Jason Garrett and are considering him for the head coaching job or likely will make him offensive coordinator. Defensive coordinators Wade Phillips of San Diego and Gary Gibbs of New Orleans also are being considered.

Jones also has talked to three members of Parcells' staff, including Todd Bowles, who is black, thus fulfilling the league requirement for a minority candidate.

Singletary, 48, retired after the 1992 season and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1998. He spent his post-playing days doing motivational speaking, writing books and co-founding a company that provides leadership training, then got into coaching in 2003.

After failing to land the head coaching job at Baylor, Singletary was hired by Baltimore and spent two seasons guiding the inside linebackers. Mike Nolan was the team's defensive coordinator and when he became the head coach in San Francisco, Singletary followed. He was assistant head coach for linebackers, then named assistant head coach for defense last season.

Parcells resigned last Monday, ending a four-year run in which he went 34-32 and failed to win a playoff game over four seasons.

The Cowboys lost four of their last five games this past season, with defense the weak link.

Jones may not hold a lack of NFL head coaching experience against Singletary; Parcells was the first coach in club history with that on his resume. All five head coaches NFL teams have hired this offseason are first-timers."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Singletary to interview for Cowboys

I have heard Mike is one of the people that most people think one day will be a very successful head coach in the league.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I have heard Mike is one of the people that most people think one day will be a very successful head coach in the league.
I think so too and he brings the respect factor. Most players look up to him and I can't see him taking any crap from anyone. He probably could handle T.O.
Old 01-30-2007   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I heard the same thing of Parcells, whose way of handling TO seemed to be to ignore him.
Old 01-30-2007   #5
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I can't see TO playing on a Singletary run team. Singletary put one of the most vicious hits i have ever seen on Danny White back in the day. Ouch!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
I think that Jerry Jones' lovefest with T.O. has WAAAAAAY more to do with a coaches "handling" of him...than the coaches ability. There is NO DOUBT that the Tuna could've dealt with TO if permitted the freedom to do so. The Cowboys' job has much more (IMO) to do with dealing with the owner than it does, with the players.
I actually didn't mind how Parcells handled him. He didn't give T.O. what he wanted most...attention. By ignoring him Parcells made it a media thing and less a team thing. I think he was right on when he said.."he likes to suck people in and you people have been sucked." It defused things.

But if Singletary came in I am sure he would want the ability to tell the guy off. I'm nto even sure if they want him back yet although I'm sure JJ loves the attention and will do it.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-30-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 298506 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Singletary, which is why I hope he doesn't get this head coaching gig. Hopefully he'll eventually be a HC on a team that I can root for.
Old 01-30-2007   #8
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I still find it very odd that the owner brought in the OC and not the HC. I mean if I was a HC, I would want the man I wanted to run my system, not who I am told will run it...The new HC will end up being a yes man anyways, so it won't be Singletary. Being a first time HC with a staff that is in place for him doesn't sound like a job I would want..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #9
old football fan
Veteran

Don't worry Norv "The Loser" Turner will be the next Dallas yes man.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I like Singletary, which is why I hope he doesn't get this head coaching gig. Hopefully he'll eventually be a HC on a team that I can root for.
I'm with you. I have all the respect in the world for Singletary as a player, person and a coach. It'd be tough seeing him working in Dallas under Skeletor. He should wait for Nolan to be run out of town and take over the niners. By that time he'd have more experience to boot.
Old 01-30-2007   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
I still find it very odd that the owner brought in the OC and not the HC. I mean if I was a HC, I would want the man I wanted to run my system, not who I am told will run it...The new HC will end up being a yes man anyways, so it won't be Singletary. Being a first time HC with a staff that is in place for him doesn't sound like a job I would want..

From what I've been told from my family up there and from all I have read the Cowboys were pretty disappointed in Peytons departure. They wanted him around when Parcells left. JJ consulted Jimmy J and Troy and they all said Garrett could be a similar guy. They had that window of time to talk to him and hire him so they went with it thinking he could be OC or coach depending on who they surrounded him with. If not, he could be a future coach. With all that said I agree with you that is still doesn't look good for incoming guys though..that they can't have their own people.
Old 01-30-2007   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything is going to work out fine.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #13
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope not.

Go Texans!
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Well I like that the Norv wants to bring in Rivera

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2749678
Old 01-31-2007   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
I forgot where I heard it, I'm sure NFL network, but I heard that Singletary had already spoken to Garrett about being his OC if Mike had got a head coaching gig.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read