Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2007   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default resigning johnson and robinson

do we have to resign both of our playmakers next year? will we have enough cap for this to happen?
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: resigning johnson and robinson

They're not FAs.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnson isn't a free agent until 2009. Robinson isn't a free agent until 2010. Don't have to worry about resigning them for a few years.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=2774

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=1575

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #4
texman8
Veteran

Hopefully,Texans will have more cap space in 2009 to sign AJ. This present FO will do a better job at throwing money at FAs contracts....unlike those for Wade, R. Smith, Walker.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #5
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Re-signing those guys goes without question, but how about getting another talented corner to go alongside D-Rob?
Navy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #6
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
do we have to resign both of our playmakers next year? will we have enough cap for this to happen?
I want them both back when there time is up. I like dunta and andre they both are playmakers.
Old 01-29-2007   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Unfortunately, with Faggins next to him, we dont really know how good Drob is, since teams never have to really throw at him (hence the 2 picks last two seasons and 6 the year he had an established CB next to him).
Old 01-29-2007   #8
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Unfortunately, with Faggins next to him, we dont really know how good Drob is, since teams never have to really throw at him (hence the 2 picks last two seasons and 6 the year he had an established CB next to him).
well, we know he can tackle. He's logged just as many tackles as weak linebacker or safety. That means that he's good money to shift inside when he gets older and loses an edge on his speed.
Old 01-29-2007   #9
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

why on EARTH would those players resign once their contracts run out? What has houston given them that would make it an attractive option. Do you realize what an Andre johnson on the market would command?? He can chase a ring, he can chase dollars, or he could chase finding a competent quarterback, and all three of those directions would take him from houston. I would imagine that when andre becomes a free agent, he moves back to miami where he is comfortable and where he trains.

As for Dunta, he has been rather outspoken in his opinion on the current problems on our team, and as I don't forsee that changing in the forseeable future, I don't see him being in a rush to Re-up either.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
why on EARTH would those players resign once their contracts run out? What has houston given them that would make it an attractive option. Do you realize what an Andre johnson on the market would command?? He can chase a ring, he can chase dollars, or he could chase finding a competent quarterback, and all three of those directions would take him from houston. I would imagine that when andre becomes a free agent, he moves back to miami where he is comfortable and where he trains.

As for Dunta, he has been rather outspoken in his opinion on the current problems on our team, and as I don't forsee that changing in the forseeable future, I don't see him being in a rush to Re-up either.
One of them will most likely be franchise tagged when that time comes.
Old 01-29-2007   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would agree, except HOPEFULLY this team will be better by then.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #12
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
One of them will most likely be franchise tagged when that time comes.
please. our franchise tag is going to be reserved for the face of the franchise, our #1 overall pick, our man who's paltry 8 million dollar a year contract will not sate his lust for dollars equivalent to his performance. really, the only way the front office can avoid having to give David Carr a Peyton Manning-esque contract with a lifetime personal services bonus attached is to repeatedly franchise him. We all know David could leave anytime, go elsewhere, and be the saviour of any franchise but ours. Woe is our offensive line

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
please. our franchise tag is going to be reserved for the face of the franchise, our #1 overall pick, our man who's paltry 8 million dollar a year contract will not sate his lust for dollars equivalent to his performance. really, the only way the front office can avoid having to give David Carr a Peyton Manning-esque contract with a lifetime personal services bonus attached is to repeatedly franchise him. We all know David could leave anytime, go elsewhere, and be the saviour of any franchise but ours. Woe is our offensive line
I usually like your posts, but geez man, be a little logical. If you really think after shopping around DC this year, the FO is going to franchise tag him you're "inside information" of the Texans organization is proving less an dless reliable.

As for Johnson and Drob, I think its up to this year. Johnson has a lot of potential to go elsewhere, and everyone knows Drob has been frustrated.
Old 01-29-2007   #14
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
I thought you said that david would not go that they were going to keep him, I know for a fact you said that, that you had a source from the inside
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So basically what you are saying is that you have ZERO hope of this team doing good things come 2009 or 2010??? Why dont you just give up now.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
So basically what you are saying is that you have ZERO hope of this team doing good things come 2009 or 2010??? Why dont you just give up now.
What he is saying is ... if you're a competitor and want a chance to win and go to the playoffs and you don't feel that the team is doing what needs to be done to get you there ... then why stay .

If Kubiak and Smith can convince guys to stay while convincing some FA's to come play here and we hit draft picks then maybe the Texans can start winning more than they lose

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #17
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
What he is saying is ... if you're a competitor and want a chance to win and go to the playoffs and you don't feel that the team is doing what needs to be done to get you there ... then why stay .

If Kubiak and Smith can convince guys to stay while convincing some FA's to come play here and we hit draft picks then maybe the Texans can start winning more than they lose
Obviously.

But my point was.... did HE honestly think we are going to STILL be picking in the top 5-10 of the draft come a couple/few years down the road?? Why else would he post this? As someone said... 2009 or 10 is when this becomes real. We are JUST NOW heading into Kubiaks second year, and Rick Smiths FIRST offseason. I feel we have the right guys and its only a matter of time. Most do. For these two players to want to leave when the time is up, we still would have had to make all the wrong moves with these two guys in charge having a couple/few years under his belt. Just dont see it happening. And apparently this guys does.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will resign both before their contracts are up and they become FA's. We'd be stupid to not sign 2 of our top 5 players for the future. Hopefully a couple winning seasons, and they'll be content in staying as the Texans will be on the rise by then.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #19
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:

Wow. So you spill off this smart ass comment about David Carr, when everyone knows he won't be here in two years, if he's even here next year. And then I notice the picture with the Vince Young jersey. I'm just throwing this out there. Could you possibly have an agenda here?

I'm guessing that when the Texans start winning, you'll be front and center on the bandwagon.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

It is possible that by 2009(3 drafts from now) we could be in a position that we do not have to pay huge contracts to either. If we continue building depth thru the draft and free agency, we will eventually be able to select good player and keep the salary cap reasonable. Having Ashanti or Clemments opposite of Dunte for 2007& 2008 will make him more willing to stay in Htown & go for that ring and not demand huge $
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read