Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-28-2007   #1
Ali4Real

Question Why Go With Adrian?

Personally I don't want the Texans to draft a running back, what I would like to see is the Texans drafting Leon Hall or LaMarr Woodley. Maybe Frank Okam or Levi Brown would be a nice fit on our roster. What do you think?

LaMar Woodley

Leon Hall

Frank Okam

Old 01-28-2007   #2
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Why Go With Adrian?

Why go with Peterson? He's the best RB prospect since Ricky Williams and Edgerrrin James. He'd be an instant success, with the only knock on him being a history of injuries that limited his carries in college. Furthermore, he'd give the fan base of the Texans something to rally around and a playmaker to enjoy watching. After all the defensive 1st and 2nd rounders, Mario, Demeco, Dunta, TJ, Babin, I think the fans would respond pretty well to an offensive player. There is merit in that, and ultimately you've got to invest high picks for skill players.

Okam is going back to school. Texas breeds DTs (Rogers and Hampton) and Okam will be an excellent pro too. Probably a top 15 pick next year.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't argue with any of those. Nelson/Landry guys and Peterson guys have points also. I believe Petie is the problem. C.C. Brown is just a guy playing out of position. He's a SS. So is Landry. But the moment they draft Landry , if they draft him, he'll be the best safty on the roster. Levi is a "texans" kinda guy who fills a five year old hole that's all. The first words out of his mouth yesterday in his sidelines interveiw were "Yes Sir". Sherman will get that guy mean enough. He dominated yesterday in that senior bowl game. And history shows guys who dominate in that game are usually prety good pros.
Old 01-28-2007   #4
brewhaus
All Pro

I agree. We need serious help on our lines (both of 'em) and there are some quality wide bodies in the draft this year.
AP would be a great addition to the team but with so many other areas that need attention now, I believe the Texans can survive another year with the running backs they have now.
Old 01-28-2007   #5
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
I agree. We need serious help on our lines (both of 'em) and there are some quality wide bodies in the draft this year.
AP would be a great addition to the team but with so many other areas that need attention now, I believe the Texans can survive another year with the running backs they have now.
OL can be addressed in Free Agency. If a standout RB is available, they should take him.
Old 01-28-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState View Post
OL can be addressed in Free Agency. If a standout RB is available, they should take him.
Isn't that what we've done for five years ? My book says that hasn't worked out to well. No if they want to fix what has been broken for five years...Levi Brown is the pick. Spencer back or not.

To answer the orginal question: So we can save face because we didn't take the media's consesus picks for us in '07 ? He's not Reggie Bush , but he is a franchise back. Therefore, All Day is the guy.

First the lines. Then the QB...then the Elite Wide out. then the franchise back.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-28-2007 at 11:36 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #7
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState View Post
I have seen several mock drafts and they sure do lean toward what you are saying. They show Houston taking Adrian Peterson in the 8 spot. Me being an armature in a world of professionals tends to believe that is what will happen. But I have heard there are concerns with Petersons stamina and being prone to injury. If we get him I hope that is not the case.
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
I have seen several mock drafts and they sure do lean toward what you are saying. They show Houston taking Adrian Peterson in the 8 spot. Me being an armature in a world of professionals tends to believe that is what will happen. But I have heard there are concerns with Petersons stamina and being prone to injury. If we get him I hope that is not the case.
You are no more amature than the rest of us. Rep your way for being honest. I agree. Brown is the logical choice in my book from a football stand point. All day is going to struggle in '07 untill we get to the '08 draft. One thing is for sure behind the five we got now, or any free agents they may possibly add, we're going to find out about your duriblity issues early and often if we pick the guy.
Old 01-28-2007   #9
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You are no more amature than the rest of us. Rep your way for being honest. I agree. Brown is the logical choice in my book from a football stand point. All day is going to struggle in '07 untill we get to the '08 draft. One thing is for sure behind the five we got now, or any free agents they may possibly add, we're going to find out about your duriblity issues early and often if we pick the guy.
I guess the problem I have with a running back "right now" is that I think the game is won or lost in the trenches. A good O line makes mediocre running backs good, and good running backs great. A good O line instills big time confidence.....something the Texans sorely need. IMO the Texans can not go wrong with drafting the most athletic O Lineman available, a least in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, if not in the 1st round. After that, or D secondary needs serious consideration.
Old 01-28-2007   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the knocks on peterson are typical pre-draft talk. in reality, peterson is an elite talent and one of the best pure runners to enter the draft in the last 20 years. if he's there at #8, you'd be foolish not to draft him, far more foolish than passing on reggie bush.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #11
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
Why go with Peterson? He's the best RB prospect since Ricky Williams and Edgerrrin James.
I'm guessing you aren't counting a guy named Reggie Bush
Old 01-28-2007   #12
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie was the best multi-purpose threat since Dante Hall.

But hey! At least no one's acting insane and saying, "AP's a once-in-a-lifetime back!"

Have they?
gg no re is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #13
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
I'm guessing you aren't counting a guy named Reggie Bush
bush=slot receiver/decoy
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We do have so many holes we need to fill there is a valid arguement for and against every person we need to consider.

RB-Adrian Peterson is easily the fan favorite and with good reason. While the RB is in desperate need of a starter and playmaker it isn't our biggest need. if Adrian is not selected when we're up...I say we need to draft him. (Det. and Cle are the two most likely to select him) Cle may even trade down with Minn...and still snag Peterson so the vikes can take CJ. He is a powerful runner with quicker speed than a lot of people give him credit for. he's a true running back that we need. bush had a lot of hype and he's a playmaking machine....but don't kid yourself by saying he's the best running back in 20 years....AP is more along those lines...Bush is better than anyone else w/ his versatility..but not rb.

OL-Everyone knows Joe Thomas will be gone before us..he won't make it past Arizona. Levi Brown is the guy that has really improved his status but is he worth a top ten pick..he's trying to make that case at least. Arizona sure needs some help but would selecting him #5 be too high? Levi instantly starts and would give us a legit LT for pretty much the first time in our history. There is no telling what is going to come about w/ Spencer and kubiak has said we cannot go on waiting on our injured players to get better...see Domanick...

DL-While everyone is clamoring about how we cannot spend yet another 1st rounder on the DLine..they have a good point. But when you have only one of those picks starting and the other two on the edge of getting released, it still means we have a problem. Those were mistakes from the past regime and should have no effect on what needs to be done by this current one, they have come in take take care of the problems..most of those on the DL and OL. (Alan Branch and Amobi Okoye are the two best DT. Okoye has impressed all during the past week and is challenging branch for the 1st one taken. We need help here and they could be the bpa. Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson are the two DE's worthy of a top 10. They could both come in and put instant pressuer on the qb's, their knock is that they arent top 10 strong against the run.)

LB-well we know Demeco might as well move into reliant stadium because I dont think Kubes or McNair will EVER let this guy go. He's an OLB that stepped up with our need because we dont' have a true Mike. Demeco thought otherwise. A lot of people don't want him moved outside, but that is something the coaches will play with during offseason to see how he would do when we have a legit mike. Keeping him at mike is fine by me though. The media has finally given Patrick Willis the respect he deserves. After the senior bowl..he'll go top 15 most likely. I would love for us to trade down a few spots and select him to play next to Ryans but now I'm sure we'd miss out on him w/ SF, Buf, St. Louis, and Car all selecting there together. Plus we have more pressing needs than lb imo.

CB-ovbisous hole that has to be addressed. leon hall has been the longtime #1 in the draft...if he's still it. i've seen him slipping in a lot of mocks so i'm not sure if he's still worth it at #8? y'all may know more than me. having someone opposite dunta is crucial to surving against peyton...and now vince.

FS- we need to have a true FS...preferably a ball hawker that will get some int., pdef, and just flat out not let lee evans and marvin harrison embarass the hell out of us. LaRon Landry and Reggie Nelson are the two top in the draft. I'd be happy with either...esp if we trade down. Atl will most likely take one..so we could miss out on both if we trade. We don't need to be reminded everytime that we play the colts twice a year but we will win more with an imroved pass defense. we will have a hard team EVER beating them again if CC and Faggins are still starting at the positions.

That's kinda my take on each postion that i feel is important. I guess I'm a little easier to please than most fans but we're guaranteed to get a guy I like at 8. The FO is the ones that decide what is best for this team for next season and 10. i'll let them make that call but I know we're guaranteed to be able to select from a few...

Peterson, Levi, Jamaal, Gaines, Amobi, Branch, Patrick, Hall, Landry, Nelson that's not including the two qb's that prob. will be taken.

My question is this Quinn could very well slip...just as easy as Peterson can to us. Who would move up to get him if he fell to us? Miami has the next pick so they might take him..could carolina jump miami and snag him? delhomme has 2-3 yeas left on his contract i believe. if kubiak selects either quinn or russell, they will make a believer out of me. we have a lot of questions about brady..and russel could be the perfect guy to sit and learn for a year, step in and kick ass. if they take one that says a lot with as much kubiak knows, so while its not something i really want right now..there is an arguemnt (besides people saying oh carr sucks)

We play the saints next season. i would like nothing more (well a W would do but..) than the announcers talking about how we passed on bush to get mario. that mario is taking form and being dominant. With the selection of Adrian peterson they get their franchise back. someone who can run over people and around and fits the team a lot better than bush would have. looks like both teams come out ahead of where they were and thats what we want. peterson is better for the texans than bush, but bush is better for the saints than peterson.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Won't let me give you rep again, but you pretty much hit it Old Miss. "Atta boy" will have to do. I agee with that post. Well done.
Old 01-28-2007   #16
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I was pushing for AP last year when everyone was saying Bush was the one. I believe AP gives us everything Bush would have, but he goes one better. AP can run between the tackles. Imagine the luck if he's there when we pick.

In my opinion AP is DD/DW with break away speed. Adding AP would immediately take pressure off of Carr & should open up our passing game. Which, would in turn, help our defense. Hmmmm, what a dilemma.

However, a year has come & gone & I'm starting to waffle on the pick again. With the semi-emergence of Chris Taylor (albeit, against an inferior defense & only one game), the possible return of DD/DW, & a shot at getting Michael Bush in the 2nd round, I'm wondering if it might be wiser to choose another player that can fill one of our other holes.

I really like AP & would be giddy if we picked him, but with players like Nelson, Landry, Levi, Branch, Okoye, Gaines, Hall, & Revis possibly available at #8, I'd have to take a long look at a different strategy. Trading down would have to be taken very seriously at this point.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #17
Toro
Veteran

I'm a Penn State Alumni and a Nittany Lion fan, but there's no way in HELL Levi Brown should be a top 10 pick.

Needless to say, if it comes down to Adrian Peterson or Levi Brown, bite the bullet, take Peterson and go after Joe Staley of Central Michigan in Round 2. You'll get the same production.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I'm a Penn State Alumni and a Nittany Lion fan, but there's no way in HELL Levi Brown should be a top 10 pick.

Needless to say, if it comes down to Adrian Peterson or Levi Brown, bite the bullet, take Peterson and go after Joe Staley of Central Michigan in Round 2. You'll get the same production.
I'm really bummed i didn't get to watch the senior bowl or any of the practices through the week, but from what I've heard levi brown really did good and sounded like staley was really getting handled.

Then again i don't know who was going against them and havn't seen either play ever.

I do think it might go a long way to go the Jets way. if we trade down and pick up levi brown. then in the 2nd grab up Ryan Kalil. that would sure help our oline but i hate avoiding everything else.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #19
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Isn't that what we've done for five years ? My book says that hasn't worked out to well. No if they want to fix what has been broken for five years...Levi Brown is the pick. Spencer back or not.
We've also tried running back by committee also... how's that worked out for us? The Texans are going to have to get talented playmakers at the skill positions on both sides of the ball.
Old 01-28-2007   #20
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm really bummed i didn't get to watch the senior bowl or any of the practices through the week, but from what I've heard levi brown really did good and sounded like staley was really getting handled.

Then again i don't know who was going against them and havn't seen either play ever.

I do think it might go a long way to go the Jets way. if we trade down and pick up levi brown. then in the 2nd grab up Ryan Kalil. that would sure help our oline but i hate avoiding everything else.
I'm not against the idea of trading down, and if that is the case, Levi Brown would certainly be the ideal choice of mine.

Only problem is, only team in Round 1 that has multiple picks, or has picks that would be worth looking into is New England, and by the time the pick they acquired from Seattle rolls around, Brown will be gone. Then again, I've seen mocks where Levi's fallen to the second round.. When you consider Winston Justice was considered a better pro prospect than Brown, and he fell in to the second round, the chance of Brown is there.

Any idea where Justin Blalock's gonna fall? I've seen mocks where he's fallen to the low first, I've seen similar mocks that have him going in the mid-to-high first. If Houston could somehow get AP and get Blalock, I'd be pretty happy with that draft.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read