Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2007   #1
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9
Default Texas vs The Nation College All Star Game

Next Friday a new All-Star game will be played. Texas VS The Nation.

Texas VS The Nation is an All-Star game that pits college players from Texas against players from colleges around the nation. This game will give people a chance to see some of the smaller school players like QB Jeff Smith from Georgetown College (my pick for the Texans in the 7th round) and a trio of the leading rushers from the Division I-AA level, Justise Hairston of Central Connecticut State, Marcus Mason of Youngstown State and Clifton Dawson from Harvard. Also in the game will be former Texas running back/wide receiver Ramonce Taylor, along with over 20 prospects who have been invited to next month's NFL Combine.

Unfortunately, the game is going to be televised on CSTV. CSTV it isn't part of my programming package, so I will be unable to watch it.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texas vs The Nation

Very nice heads up V-tech. Unfortunately I just droped the fox sports package. So I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe we could have a draft nick party at a sports bar or something. See if the bar acroos from Minute maid will set us up with a space to watch the game or something ? Rep your way good job.
Old 01-27-2007   #3
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Very nice heads up V-tech. Unfortunately I just droped the fox sports package. So I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe we could have a draft nick party at a sports bar or something. See if the bar acroos from Minute maid will set us up with a space to watch the game or something ? Rep your way good job.
Thanks...I'm in Tulsa, so it would be kind of hard for me to make it to a sports bar in Houston. I might have to check with the sports bars here to see if they will have it. The last time I was in Houston for anything longer than just a visit was while the Astros were still playing in the dome and Minute Maid Park (I think it was called Enron back then) was still under construction.
Old 01-28-2007   #4
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Watch out for RB D.D. Terry, he's a pretty good player from SHSU. The game I saw him in he was very patient in picking his holes.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas vs. the Nation- that says it all, hook em Texans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
Watch out for RB D.D. Terry, he's a pretty good player from SHSU. The game I saw him in he was very patient in picking his holes.
I watched him one game. Moses Malones' son is a wide out for that team. I got some notes on the game laying around some where. Isn't he like 187 though ? And kinda short. Have to look it up.
Old 01-28-2007   #7
Panther5407
All Pro

Thats a interesting game, shows everyone who the best state is then lol I wish the Texans would look at Chad Schroder (sp?) from A&M. He has very reliable hands and is fast. He'd be a good return man if Mathis can't get it together. I could see him being a Bradon Stokley sort of player.
Old 01-28-2007   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

If those of you who can watch would please look at Gary Russell, RB. I think he is playing for The Nation. I am curious about how he looks after a year off of football.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #9
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I watched him one game. Moses Malones' son is a wide out for that team. I got some notes on the game laying around some where. Isn't he like 187 though ? And kinda short. Have to look it up.
I think he's kinda tall, 6,1 or 2. Kinda skinny, if i remember hes below 200. I read he only played RB one year in college, so he doesn't have many miles on his legs. In our game against Sam he was a good receiver and their star player. He would not really dance around and would always get positive yardage. He runs at least a 4.5 too as he burned a lot of DB's.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #10
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the heads up. I have my Tivo set to record since it is on my wedding anniversary.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #11
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

One Question. What time?
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #12
baba ganoush
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texas vs. the Nation- that says it all, hook em Texans
must be a longhorn fan, so thats your problem...gig em' baby!!!
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #13
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think when I found it on Tivo, it said 8:00 CST. Double check to make sure though.
Old 01-28-2007   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I like our talent more than any individual state on a year-to-year basis, but this is a recipe for us to get our ***** handed to us.
Old 01-29-2007   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Default Texas vs The Nation player preview

Texas Vs. The Nation Preview
By: Sigmund Bloom, guest analyst/scout from www.footballguys.com and co-host of “The Audible”, a top 100 pro sports podcast on iTunes

As I was driving down I-10 today, I reflected on some of the second chances I have gotten over the course of my life. I also remembered the people along the way that gave me every chance to prove myself even though I did not have the pedigree of the type of person that normally gets that opportunity. I wouldn’t be where I am today without those breaks. This is what the Texas vs. the Nation game is all about – giving players that are overlooked or shunned by the powers that be in the draft process a chance to prove themselves to NFL scouts.

Most of these guys will not get drafted and will have to fight their way onto a roster. Still, don’t think there isn’t talent here. More than twenty of the guys I will watch this week have combine invites. Many were highly recruited and transferred from larger programs because their path was blocked, or were dismissed from their team. Others dominated, just not at the 1-A level.

This game is also important because the 3rd tier of all star games is ever shrinking. Rumor has it that we witnessed the last Hula Bowl. The Intajuice North South All-Star Classic put few people in the stands. The Las Vegas All-American Classic was cancelled due to financial problems and will likely not be back. As the number of success stories about players coming out of obscurity grows, the number of opportunities they get is dwindling. These 3rd tier games pump lifeblood into the “Rocky” stories that remind us that will and determination can overcome long odds.

Here are just a few of the more interesting players on each squad that I will be highlighting in my practice coverage:

Texas

Josh Swogger, QB, Montana – Swogger lost out to Alex Brink at Washington State and transferred to Montana for the 2006 season. Former Wazzu coach Mike Price used one of “exceptions” to put Swogger on the Texas team even though he’s not from Texas. He’s a big QB listed anywhere from 6’3” 225 to 6’5” 254. Swogger has been invited to the combine

Ramonce Taylor, RB, Texas College – Taylor was Texas’s own version of Reggie Bush when they beat Bush’s team for the national championship in the 2006 Rose Bowl. His college career came to a screeching halt in a bizarre incident that saw Taylor call police to report a broken window in his truck, only for them to find five pounds of marijuana.

Paul Mosley, RB, Baylor – Mosley is a 6’3” 236 lb. back with speed, but he was stuck in the spread offense this year at Baylor.

Marcus Mason, RB, Youngstown St – Mason was a 1-AA All American this year. He transferred to the school Jim Tressel used to coach from Illinois after 2004.

James Finley, WR, Oregon – Finley was a top recruit on the west coast coming out of prep school and one of Oregon’s leading receivers in 2005 and 2006. He has an NFL WR frame and a combine invite.

Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern – Barbre is a versatile, athletic OT who garnered d2football.com All American honors and a combine invite.

Kurt Quarterman, OG, Louisville – Quarterman tips the scales in the mid 300’s, but he can pass block with the best of them with surprising quickness and speed. Kurt was named to the All Big East First Team and All American 3rd team.

Michael McFadden, DE/OLB, Grand Valley State – All time Division II sack leader, two time All American, and two time Gene Upshaw Award winner (given to best D2 lineman).

Walter Thomas, DT, NW Mississippi CC – This man mountain (6’5” 335) was heavily recruited but left Oklahoma State early in his college career. He can reportedly run in 4.8-4.9 range.

Quintin Echols, DT, Kansas St – Echols put on a show at the Shrine Game and will be looking to continue to improve his draft stock.

Nation

Justin Rascati, QB, James Madison – Rascati saw the writing the wall and transferred from Louisville in 2004. He has been a sensation at the 1-AA level and earned a reputation as an intense, accurate, mobile QB.

Jeff Smith, QB, Georgetown (Ky.) – Smith has ideal NFL QB size at 6’6” 240 and looked like he had the potential to be an intriguing project in the NFL during the Intajuice North-South All Star Classic

Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut State – You can’t blame Hairston for transferring from Rutgers if you’ve watched Ray Rice play. Hairston led Division 1-AA in rushing this year.

Justin Vincent, RB, LSU – Turn back the clock to 2003 and you would have predicted that Vincent would be a surefire first day pick when he came out. Injuries and other quality RBs at LSU have sidetracked his career.

Gary Russell, RB, Minnesota – Russell looked just as good, if not better, than Laurence Maroney at Minnesota. School is not his forte, but you can’t say the same about his ability to tote the rock.

Brian Stokes, FB, Appalachian State – Stokes served two tours of duty in Iraq and has been decorated with a purple heart.

Maurice Price, WR, Charleston Southern – This junior led all of Division I-AA (and Division 1-A) with 103 receptions this year. He’s extremely athletic, with a reported 40 time anywhere from 4.35 to 4.4, an 11 foot broad jump, and a 40 inch vertical.

Ryan Moore, WR, Miami-Florida – Moore was an elite recruit out of high school, but his career has been stifled by off the field issues. He’s a big (6’3” 225) WR who reportedly runs around 4.5. He will be at the NFL Combine.

Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida – Widely considered an elite physical talent at defensive tackle, Thomas was kicked off the Gators this year due to a drug problem.

Taurean Charles, LB, Bethune-Cookman – Once highly recruited by Florida, Charles was dismissed from the team after an incident at a party that resulted in him being charged with a felony, which was later reduced to culpable negligence, a misdemeanor. He was also the subject of a documentary “The Year of the Bull” while in high school in the poor Liberty City section of Miami.

This game is about rising and falling draft stocks, and sleepers to listen for on the second day of the draft, but it is also about longshots and kids looking for redemption, human stories that go beyond the football field.

Tomorrow: Weigh-in results and day one of practice

For more information, go to http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/. The game will be telecast on CSTV at 10 pm EST/7 pm PST on Friday, February 2.
Old 01-29-2007   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texas vs The Nation player preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Texas Vs. The Nation Preview
By: Sigmund Bloom, guest analyst/scout from www.footballguys.com and co-host of “The Audible”, a top 100 pro sports podcast on iTunes

As I was driving down I-10 today, I reflected on some of the second chances I have gotten over the course of my life. I also remembered the people along the way that gave me every chance to prove myself even though I did not have the pedigree of the type of person that normally gets that opportunity. I wouldn’t be where I am today without those breaks. This is what the Texas vs. the Nation game is all about – giving players that are overlooked or shunned by the powers that be in the draft process a chance to prove themselves to NFL scouts.

Most of these guys will not get drafted and will have to fight their way onto a roster. Still, don’t think there isn’t talent here. More than twenty of the guys I will watch this week have combine invites. Many were highly recruited and transferred from larger programs because their path was blocked, or were dismissed from their team. Others dominated, just not at the 1-A level.

This game is also important because the 3rd tier of all star games is ever shrinking. Rumor has it that we witnessed the last Hula Bowl. The Intajuice North South All-Star Classic put few people in the stands. The Las Vegas All-American Classic was cancelled due to financial problems and will likely not be back. As the number of success stories about players coming out of obscurity grows, the number of opportunities they get is dwindling. These 3rd tier games pump lifeblood into the “Rocky” stories that remind us that will and determination can overcome long odds.

Here are just a few of the more interesting players on each squad that I will be highlighting in my practice coverage:

Texas

Josh Swogger, QB, Montana – Swogger lost out to Alex Brink at Washington State and transferred to Montana for the 2006 season. Former Wazzu coach Mike Price used one of “exceptions” to put Swogger on the Texas team even though he’s not from Texas. He’s a big QB listed anywhere from 6’3” 225 to 6’5” 254. Swogger has been invited to the combine

Ramonce Taylor, RB, Texas College – Taylor was Texas’s own version of Reggie Bush when they beat Bush’s team for the national championship in the 2006 Rose Bowl. His college career came to a screeching halt in a bizarre incident that saw Taylor call police to report a broken window in his truck, only for them to find five pounds of marijuana.

Paul Mosley, RB, Baylor – Mosley is a 6’3” 236 lb. back with speed, but he was stuck in the spread offense this year at Baylor.

Marcus Mason, RB, Youngstown St – Mason was a 1-AA All American this year. He transferred to the school Jim Tressel used to coach from Illinois after 2004.

James Finley, WR, Oregon – Finley was a top recruit on the west coast coming out of prep school and one of Oregon’s leading receivers in 2005 and 2006. He has an NFL WR frame and a combine invite.

Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern – Barbre is a versatile, athletic OT who garnered d2football.com All American honors and a combine invite.

Kurt Quarterman, OG, Louisville – Quarterman tips the scales in the mid 300’s, but he can pass block with the best of them with surprising quickness and speed. Kurt was named to the All Big East First Team and All American 3rd team.

Michael McFadden, DE/OLB, Grand Valley State – All time Division II sack leader, two time All American, and two time Gene Upshaw Award winner (given to best D2 lineman).

Walter Thomas, DT, NW Mississippi CC – This man mountain (6’5” 335) was heavily recruited but left Oklahoma State early in his college career. He can reportedly run in 4.8-4.9 range.

Quintin Echols, DT, Kansas St – Echols put on a show at the Shrine Game and will be looking to continue to improve his draft stock.

Nation

Justin Rascati, QB, James Madison – Rascati saw the writing the wall and transferred from Louisville in 2004. He has been a sensation at the 1-AA level and earned a reputation as an intense, accurate, mobile QB.

Jeff Smith, QB, Georgetown (Ky.) – Smith has ideal NFL QB size at 6’6” 240 and looked like he had the potential to be an intriguing project in the NFL during the Intajuice North-South All Star Classic

Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut State – You can’t blame Hairston for transferring from Rutgers if you’ve watched Ray Rice play. Hairston led Division 1-AA in rushing this year.

Justin Vincent, RB, LSU – Turn back the clock to 2003 and you would have predicted that Vincent would be a surefire first day pick when he came out. Injuries and other quality RBs at LSU have sidetracked his career.

Gary Russell, RB, Minnesota – Russell looked just as good, if not better, than Laurence Maroney at Minnesota. School is not his forte, but you can’t say the same about his ability to tote the rock.

Brian Stokes, FB, Appalachian State – Stokes served two tours of duty in Iraq and has been decorated with a purple heart.

Maurice Price, WR, Charleston Southern – This junior led all of Division I-AA (and Division 1-A) with 103 receptions this year. He’s extremely athletic, with a reported 40 time anywhere from 4.35 to 4.4, an 11 foot broad jump, and a 40 inch vertical.

Ryan Moore, WR, Miami-Florida – Moore was an elite recruit out of high school, but his career has been stifled by off the field issues. He’s a big (6’3” 225) WR who reportedly runs around 4.5. He will be at the NFL Combine.

Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida – Widely considered an elite physical talent at defensive tackle, Thomas was kicked off the Gators this year due to a drug problem.

Taurean Charles, LB, Bethune-Cookman – Once highly recruited by Florida, Charles was dismissed from the team after an incident at a party that resulted in him being charged with a felony, which was later reduced to culpable negligence, a misdemeanor. He was also the subject of a documentary “The Year of the Bull” while in high school in the poor Liberty City section of Miami.

This game is about rising and falling draft stocks, and sleepers to listen for on the second day of the draft, but it is also about longshots and kids looking for redemption, human stories that go beyond the football field.

Tomorrow: Weigh-in results and day one of practice

For more information, go to http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/. The game will be telecast on CSTV at 10 pm EST/7 pm PST on Friday, February 2.
Nice find. I wish I could watch.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #17
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Texas vs The Nation College All Star Game

Anybody see or know anything about this qb Jeff Smith?
Old 01-29-2007   #18
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Only thing I care about are the DB's playing in the game. We clearly need an upgrade at 3 of the 4 DB spots.

What's the word on that talent?
Old 01-29-2007   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like the set of "Nation" RB's. Vincent is one of my favorite RB's in the country, and Russell did play better than Maroney.
Old 01-30-2007   #20
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Anybody see or know anything about this qb Jeff Smith?
I watched him play in the IntaJuice All-Star game, and he looked pretty good. IMHO, he was the best QB in that game, and looked better than any of the QB's at the Senior Bowl. With his size (6'-6" 246 lbs), he doesn't have the problems seeing over the line like some of the shorter QB's do. In the game, he looked to have good pocket presence and field awareness, and also looked to have a decent arm. I would love to see the Texans take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th round. Simply because he is from a small school, and nobody knows much about him, I don't think anyone will take him until the later rounds or as an URFA. I wish I was able to watch this game so I could see how he does, but I don't get CSTV.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read