Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-27-2007   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Refs Admit Blown Call

Quote:
The NFL has admitted that it was wrong when Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs was flagged for pass interference on Reggie Wayne in New England’s AFC Championship Game loss to Indianapolis last Sunday. The call ultimately led to the tying score for the Colts, who advanced to the Super Bowl with a 38-34 victory.

On the play — second-and-7 from the Pats’ 19-yard line — Hobbs was face-guarding Wayne in the back left corner of the end zone. The pass from Peyton Manning hit Hobbs on the back of his left arm, and after the game the second-year corner, who combined with Asante Samuel to give a great effort on Pro Bowl players Wayne and Marvin Harrison, said he never touched his man.

But the flag was thrown, and pass interference is not one of the calls that coaches can challenge. Indy got first-and-goal from the one, and on the next play Manning found wide-open former Patriot Dan Klecko for a touchdown. The Colts also made a two-point conversion to tie the game, 21-21.
Link

Not that I had a dog in the fight, but I was yelling at the screen when that hankie flew. Potentially a game changing call and it was crystal clear Hobbs never touched Wayne.
Old 01-27-2007   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Refs Admit Blown Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

Not that I had a dog in the fight, but I was yelling at the screen when that hankie flew. Potentially a game changing call and it was crystal clear Hobbs never touched Wayne.
I never got that call. I don't care if his head wasn't turned..he never touched him and it was a good play. A little easier to score from 1st and goal than 3rd down from the 19.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

The call easily makes up for past non calls in the playoffs going in favor of the Pats.
Old 01-27-2007   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The call easily makes up for past non calls in the playoffs going in favor of the Pats.
Preach it.

I completely agree.

The tuck rule? Gimme' a break.
Old 01-27-2007   #5
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh great....so the NFL is gonna start making up for missed calls in the past like the NBA.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #6
sixfour
Site Contributor

Section: 136/350/353
Rep Power: 40 sixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respected

That's why you fight so hard for home field. It has its advantages.
sixfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour View Post
That's why you fight so hard for home field. It has its advantages.
But should it? Personally I don't think it should in that kind of way. Tarnishes the integrity of the game if you ask me.
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2007   #8
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
Preach it.

I completely agree.

The tuck rule? Gimme' a break.
That was my immediate thought.
Old 01-27-2007   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was a horrible call. I thought Hobbs played it perfectly. It was just a good football play.
Old 01-27-2007   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

The calls the Colts cried about in 2003 and 2004 are the reason why the nfl is so damn weak now...can't even look at these WRs...so terrible.
Old 01-27-2007   #11
sixfour
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 40 sixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
But should it? Personally I don't think it should in that kind of way. Tarnishes the integrity of the game if you ask me.
No, I don't think it should. The reality is it's like that in every sport, the home team gets questionable calls in their favor. JMO
Old 01-27-2007   #12
sixfour
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
The calls the Colts cried about in 2003 and 2004 are the reason why the nfl is so damn weak now...can't even look at these WRs...so terrible.
WR's!! You can't even think of touching the QB anymore. They have made that the most girlie position in all of pro sports.
Old 01-27-2007   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No, I don't think it should. The reality is it's like that in every sport, the home team gets questionable calls in their favor. JMO
No doubt, just as long as it doesn't turn into the NBA style of officiating.
Old 01-27-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Except for the NBA where it is just up to D. Stern who he likes.
Old 01-27-2007   #15
Red_Zone
Achtung Baby!

Rep Power: 116066 Red_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Red_Zone

What did you guys think of the call for the Patriots touchdown when it appeared to many that the receivers feet were out of bounds before he went up for the ball and then was pushed out?

From the angle I saw it looked to me as if he was out of bounds before he went up to catch the ball which would have nullified the touchdown. The call that he was "pushed out" after catching the ball was correct but if he were OoB before it wouldn't matter.
Old 01-27-2007   #16
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Zone View Post
What did you guys think of the call for the Patriots touchdown when it appeared to many that the receivers feet were out of bounds before he went up for the ball and then was pushed out?

From the angle I saw it looked to me as if he was out of bounds before he went up to catch the ball which would have nullified the touchdown. The call that he was "pushed out" after catching the ball was correct but if he were OoB before it wouldn't matter.
There's a good angle where you can see Gafney with his heels off the ground above the line, while his toes were inbounds. From every other angle it looked like he was on the line, but the angle I mentioned shows him inbounds.
Old 01-27-2007   #17
Red_Zone
Achtung Baby!

Rep Power: 116066 Red_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Red_Zone

Quote:
There's a good angle where you can see Gafney with his heels off the ground above the line, while his toes were inbounds. From every other angle it looked like he was on the line, but the angle I mentioned shows him inbounds.
Ok then I'll take your word on that, I never got to see that angle. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2007   #18
ColtsFan in CA
Rookie

Soooo Vic Ketchum of Jags.com says a league source admitted it but the NFL has not issued a statement.
I think hold off on anything considering the source.

The ref never called Face Guarding...Phil Simms did.
The ref called PI.
ColtsFan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
I saw the angle alot too. It was a legit play and his heels were off the line.
Old 01-27-2007   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

So now detractors can say Manning is in the Super Bowl because of a bunk penalty, just like they do with Tom Brady.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read