Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2007   #41
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fred Weary Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Given the posts here, many people seem to assume automatically that it does.
It's not all about race with HPD. They will mess with anybody for any reason.

Weary reminds them that they are not ABOVE the law because they are supposed to UPHOLD the law.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #42
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
It's not all about race with HPD. They will mess with anybody for any reason.

Weary reminds them that they are not ABOVE the law because they are supposed to UPHOLD the law.
My personal experiences with HPD officers have been mostly positive, but then again, I don't make a habit of breaking the law. I disagree with a handful of the departmental policies in general and I'm sure bad apples do exist (and should be punished appropriately for their wrong actions)--as they do wherever a large group of people exercise authority--but you don't lend a lot of credibility to your opinion with such sweeping characterizations.
Old 01-31-2007   #43
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
I agree but I was not there to see if he stiffed the mechanic if it is true and if the michanic did nothing wrong then I think that is horrible. I cant stand celeb. and how they think they are better then you or me. It just dosent make any sense. But if I was Fred then I would have deff not have ever approched the officer.

If I remember the story correctly, it was the officer/officers that said "he approached us". That was what they came up with after it became an incident. Fred says he didn't.

Let me just add, think back to when you have been stopped and if asked to get out of the car, first of all the cop is RIGHT there, there is no walking. They asked him to get out and put his hands on the car, which the witness said he did and he says he did. There was no walking. Those cops don't give you room to walk, especially if you are as big as Fred. All he could possibly do is stand up and turn around to face the car.

Not to mention this was at what 1:00 in the afternoon in broad daylight.

I get tired of hearing about racial profiling too but I am sorry, it happens, and I think it happened to Fred. Cops would have never done what they did if they would have known who they had.

I say, Go Fred!
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #44
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I think some of us are effected by bad experiences we or those we know have had with police. I live in the Clear Lake area & have witnessed poor performance by the police. It is not fair to "color" all police by what some do. That also is profiling. But I do expect more from the police that I do a civilian. I would hoped that HPD reviews the action of its officers when thing like this happen. If I were one of the officers involved with Weary & I thought I was right.. no apology. Allow the court to sort it out. However, if I were Weary & I thought I had handled myself correctly, I would do what he is doing.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #45
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fred Weary Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
I think some of us are effected by bad experiences we or those we know have had with police. I live in the Clear Lake area & have witnessed poor performance by the police. It is not fair to "color" all police by what some do. That also is profiling. But I do expect more from the police that I do a civilian. I would hoped that HPD reviews the action of its officers when thing like this happen. If I were one of the officers involved with Weary & I thought I was right.. no apology. Allow the court to sort it out. However, if I were Weary & I thought I had handled myself correctly, I would do what he is doing.
Being in law school though, some times it is better to apologize (even when you KNOW you're right) than to put the city through a huge lawsuit. Based on the disagreement on here, a jury could (right or wrong) rule in his favor merely because they have a disfavorable view of HPD.

And let's face it, cops, teachers, and firefighters are GROSSLY underpaid. I don't know what it takes to become an HPD, but back home all the druggie kids/near drop outs (well 3 of them) from my graduating class are now cops.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #46
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Being in law school though, some times it is better to apologize (even when you KNOW you're right) than to put the city through a huge lawsuit. Based on the disagreement on here, a jury could (right or wrong) rule in his favor merely because they have a disfavorable view of HPD.

And let's face it, cops, teachers, and firefighters are GROSSLY underpaid. I don't know what it takes to become an HPD, but back home all the druggie kids/near drop outs (well 3 of them) from my graduating class are now cops.
I disagree with the apology thing. Once the City of Houston apoligizes, they have admitted they were wrong. That would really open the door for a lawsuit. Weary needs to grow up and take his lickens like us common folks. He made a mistake according to the Police there, and that is the end of the story, or should be. He is trying to pull race into this and it is just flat out wrong. It's not like they gave him the Rodney King treatment in Cal...
Old 01-31-2007   #47
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I am not sure how many folks keep up with the local politics, but there is a national debate about profiling and the front plates going on

Kinky line that is most often quoted ( from some random blog )
Quote:
Yet the truth is that Friedman's comment was factually accurate, if stated in colorful language. There has been a significant rise in crime directly associated with Katrina victims many with criminal backgrounds who appear to have taken up permanent residence in Houston. He said: "The musicians and artists have mostly moved back to New Orleans now. The crackheads and the thugs have decided to stay here. They want to stay here. I think they got their hustle on, and we need to get ours." And he was just stating a known fact.
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/09/17/073226.php

Louisiana cars do not require front plates, hence they are more likely to be targeted when a disturbance call is going on. I have no idea if Fred got caught up in that type of scenario or not.

But I bet he was.

the crime rate debate for reference: population VS socioeconomic status
http://www.khou.com/news/local/stori...e.6023101.html
Old 02-01-2007   #48
Dr2bKay
All Pro

Section: 116 Bull Pen Baby
Rep Power: 379 Dr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
The fact the case was thrown out shows just how right the officers where in stopping him, right? Also, the police report claimed they followed him for several miles before pulling him over...just wondering, how could they see he didnt have a FRONT liscense plate? This cases stinks of DWB, and as much as we hate to admit it, racial profilling is very much a part of our society.
Thanks for your post...I need to remember that I am in Texas and that people only consider what is good for the majority...not the "lowly" minorities that are always crying out for equal rights....Just because you have never experienced racism or discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I am starting to think that some of the people that post here are the main racist that minorities need to watch out for...IMO....
Dr2bKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #49
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2bKay View Post
Thanks for your post...I need to remember that I am in Texas and that people only consider what is good for the majority...not the "lowly" minorities that are always crying out for equal rights....Just because you have never experienced racism or discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I am starting to think that some of the people that post here are the main racist that minorities need to watch out for...IMO....
I dont know about everyone else on here that posts but I do know that whatever race you are there will allways be someone else that thinks they are better than you, race,money whatever the case is. I work for the fire dept and I know for a fact some people look down at us bc we have a labor job, you have to love your job and the responsibilities that come with it. I just think you know everyone should look around and treat everyone as equals I know it wont happen but it needs to change. Im talking about everything, I dont care if you are a celb. you now you could really make someone angry say a person that works in a coffee shop and later you have a flat tire or something and that person that you were rude too could just drive by and laugh at you. Rather than if you were respectfull to that person like you should be to everyone he would have helped you. I dont know what im saying is making alot of sence but I just know race is everywhere and it dosent just happen to blacks. I dont want to affend anyone so just know that I do think everyone makes mistakes but whoever was is the wrong doing should fess up.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #50
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
First, I think Weary is right. Good for him for making a big deal of this.

HOWEVER, if he sues Houston and keeps the money, shame on him. This guy makes millions and millions and is looking to get even more. I hope he donates it to racial profiling education or to charities aiding minorities or the like.

I heard that if he does win the 250k that Fred is going to donate most of it to the 100 club. The association associated with the HPD. He doesn't want the money, he just wants to be proven right. He feels that he did nothing wrong and wants apology and if the city and the police officers don't give it to him then he will sue.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #51
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weary suing city over Taser Bust

Houston Texans offensive lineman Fred Weary is suing the city and two police officers for a November 2006 arrest in which he was shot with a Taser gun during a traffic stop.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5297773.html

Great timing there Fred, coming off the bye week with a big-home game in
Reliant.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #52
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weary suing city over Taser Bust

good for him, cops are becoming to trigger happy with that damn taser and people are starting to get hurt. I read somewhere about a 80 something year old women that was tasered last week.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-13-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #53
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people's reactions to this will be really mixed. I guess we'll see if he has a real case or not.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think people's reactions to this will be really mixed. I guess we'll see if he has a real case or not.
Agreed, the original thread had many different reactions. Weary is reported a very nice guy and most seemed to have problem thinking he provoked the situation.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #55
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that Weary is suing tells me alot...........this isn't a guy that needs money

It's pretty clear that this has been bothering him and he really feels like he was "targeted" (DWB) and victimized.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The fact that Weary is suing tells me alot...........this isn't a guy that needs money

It's pretty clear that this has been bothering him and he really feels like he was "targeted" (DWB) and victimized.
I agree and I do not think he is the guy that will allow others to whisper in his ear and convince him.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #57
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i hope he wins.
Old 11-13-2007   #58
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Good for Fred. I hope he wins.
Old 11-13-2007   #59
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I hope he wins as well. The judge that dismissed the case against Weary said, very clearly, that Weary was not resisting arrest. Therefore, the taser was unwarranted. Someone posted earlier in the thread that HPD should not apologize, as it would only be admitting to wrongdoing. Well, it's time they admitted to that wrongdoing. They did wrong, now they need to own it, and not do it again.

From another angle, I guess the lawsuit means that the city refused to apologize. If that's the case, then they are irresponsibly risking taxpayer dollars on this case. If they lose, and have to pay the judgment, I plan to write city council (and copy the Chronic, I suppose) about their irresponsible use of taxpayer money. A simple apology would have saved that money. Maybe they could have put it towards better police training.

The financial angle of this case interests me more than anything. With the judge's statement, it's pretty clear that the cops were in the wrong here. They may find some technicality, but that doesn't mean they weren't wrong. Losing the lawsuit and having to pay a judgment would be piling stupidity on top of mistakes.
Old 11-13-2007   #60
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fred Weary Lawsuit

If the HPD is anything like METRO, their Mantra is "no." If you want anything, you have to sue. That's how their attorneys and PR people are instructed.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read