Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2007   #1
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fred Weary Lawsuit

Per SI.com

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston Texans' Fred Weary is threatening to sue the city if it doesn't comply with his requests stemming from a November arrest in which he was shot with a Taser gun.

Weary said Friday that he has sent a letter to Mayor Bill White and Police Chief Harold Hurtt asking for a public apology from the two police officers involved in the incident. He also is asking for monetary compensation and that the city review its policies regarding racial profiling and the use of Taser guns.

"I'm in a position to fight this and I plan on fighting it to the end," Weary told Houston television station KRIV. "It wasn't right. None of the actions by the two officers was justifiable."

White spokesman Frank Michel said he couldn't comment on possible litigation.

The officers said they stopped the offensive lineman because he didn't have a front license plate and was driving "suspiciously." A misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest was later dismissed because of insufficient evidence.

Joe Walker, Weary's attorney, said the lineman could seek as much as $250,000 from the city.

"Let me make it real clear. If we don't get a response within 90 days, we tee it up. We're going down to the courthouse and file a lawsuit," he said.
Sorry if this has been posted already, hadn't seen it anywhere.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fred Weary Lawsuit

Way to go Fred, stand up for what it is right.
Old 01-27-2007   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fred Weary Lawsuit

I can only imagine what the cop's car video would reveal. They'd better apologize!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The way it seems to have gone down, he should sue them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #5
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm, let's see...$250,000 or an apology? I hope the HPD is smart enough to make the right choice. Especially when it's obvious that those two police officers were clearly in the wrong.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My take is here:

Link
Old 01-27-2007   #7
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really glad Weary is doing this.

No telling how many times something like this happens and the victim/defendant/accused/whatever just doesn't have the resources to fight City Hall...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2007   #8
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I can only imagine what the cop's car video would reveal. They'd better apologize!
That video shows the truth.
If it's as the officer stated and he didn't comply and was advancing toward her, Weary should be the one apologizing.
If you break the law, no front plates, etc., you break the law. Stop whining about being "profiled" and move on.
I've been pulled over before for not having a front license plate, but I never challenged the officer by continuing to walk toward the officer when told to stop.
Weary's demands are ridiculous. With crime as bad as it is now, the police do not need any more restrictions, just the opposite.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #9
gsbtxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
If it's as the officer stated and he didn't comply and was advancing toward her, Weary should be the one apologizing.
If you break the law, no front plates, etc., you break the law. Stop whining about being "profiled" and move on.
I've been pulled over before for not having a front license plate, but I never challenged the officer by continuing to walk toward the officer when told to stop.
Weary's demands are ridiculous. With crime as bad as it is now, the police do not need any more restrictions, just the opposite.
Have you seen said video? The rest of your post seems to imply that you have. Or are you profiling as well?
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
gsbtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #10
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Her who is her?

BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate. I believe him because in Houston I see many vehicles without front license plates. I think the officer was doing his usual profiling.
SamuraiSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

First, I think Weary is right. Good for him for making a big deal of this.

HOWEVER, if he sues Houston and keeps the money, shame on him. This guy makes millions and millions and is looking to get even more. I hope he donates it to racial profiling education or to charities aiding minorities or the like.
Old 01-27-2007   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSword View Post
BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate. I believe him because in Houston I see many vehicles without front license plates.
Don't believe him. Here's the law.

Quote:
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
6. LICENSE PLATES—must have one valid plate at the front and one at the rear of passenger and commercial vehicles except dealer plates and those commercial vehicles that are only issued one license plate.
Old 01-27-2007   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember reading somewhere that having a front license plate adds the distance in which a speed gun can clock your speed. Stupid law IMO, out of state cars don't have to have a front license plate here.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
First, I think Weary is right. Good for him for making a big deal of this.

HOWEVER, if he sues Houston and keeps the money, shame on him. This guy makes millions and millions and is looking to get even more. I hope he donates it to racial profiling education or to charities aiding minorities or the like.
First, from what I read, it sounds like the goal is the apology, not the money. The money is there only if teh apology is not made.

Second, I am sure Fred makes enough without needing to "exploit" Houston. I don't know his exact salary, but I'm guessing it's not a wanton amount of millions. It's probably more along the line of 1.5 spread over a few years. On the one hand, more than you or I will see in a lifetime, but on the other hand, if he has trouble making the starting team in part because of this trouble - and he is playing for a team that values character - then he has every right to sue.

Fred isn't doing anything most people wouldn't do, but it seems to me he's doing it for the right reasons.
Old 01-27-2007   #15
Tyr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSword View Post
BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate. I believe him because in Houston I see many vehicles without front license plates. I think the officer was doing his usual profiling.
It is the law and cops will pull you over if they want to. Yes, most cops don't seem to worry about the front plates due to so many cars not using them. I had a Sherrif run me down on the Beltway a couple of years back solely because I didn't have a front plate. This is after 8 years of having my vehicle and never having a front plate. May not happen often, but eventually you find an officer that will do it.

I don't know the specifics so I do want to speculate. However, Weary did not have a front license plate on his car so therefore WAS breaking the law, they had the right to pull him over. What happened after that? I can't say but I do feel Tasering was a little over the top but officers are taught to defend themselves if they are advanced on. So it may or may not be a legitimate suit. My personal opinion, both the officer and Weary made mistakes in this instance.
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Don't believe him. Here's the law.
I knew a guy that drove around Texas for 5 years with expired out of state plates and no front plate. I lived here (in Texas) for a year and a half with expired California plates and then moved to Pennsylvania before getting new ones. I don't think I had a front plate for that time in Texas. (I can't remember, but I don't think you have to have front plates in Cali.)

IIRC, it's also a law that all non-residential buildings in Houston have hitching posts in front of them.

Many laws are not enforced.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #17
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
It is the law and cops will pull you over if they want to. Yes, most cops don't seem to worry about the front plates due to so many cars not using them. I had a Sherrif run me down on the Beltway a couple of years back solely because I didn't have a front plate. This is after 8 years of having my vehicle and never having a front plate. May not happen often, but eventually you find an officer that will do it.

I don't know the specifics so I do want to speculate. However, Weary did not have a front license plate on his car so therefore WAS breaking the law, they had the right to pull him over. What happened after that? I can't say but I do feel Tasering was a little over the top but officers are taught to defend themselves if they are advanced on. So it may or may not be a legitimate suit. My personal opinion, both the officer and Weary made mistakes in this instance.
Does Weary have Texas plates? Does he live in Texas year round? If he holds a residence in another state, has registered plates from that state, and that state doesn't require a front plate, he is not required to have a front plate while in Texas. However, if he holds a residence in Texas and lives in Texas longer than 6 months out of the year, he is required to have Texas plates, and have them displayed on both the front and back of his vehicle.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
If it doesn't 'magically' disappear first.

Good for Fred. Stand up for what is right!
Old 01-27-2007   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I did get a ticket in Galveston once for not having a front license plate on an 83 Trans-Am. The front license plate thing is a stupid law, if you ask me, but it does exist.

The guy got tasered and I really doubt it was necessary, but that's about all I can say.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fred Weary Lawsuit

Quote:
*massive edit*

I've been a first hand witness MANY times to what jerks who are on ticket patrol from HPD can be. I'd tend to side with Fred on this one.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read