Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-26-2007   #1
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default TexanFan881 Mock Draft

I've been working on it for awhile and fixing it up, my 4 round prediction of this year's draft so far.

Old 01-26-2007   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TexanFan881 Mock Draft

WOW - great effort & nice looking too

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a bad mock.

As for the Texans picks, I don't mind the 1st one, but if Staley is still on the board in the 2nd round when we pick, I would take him over Ross. And if Kalil is there in the 3rd round, I think we gotta take him too. The only problem is I've been hearing Staley could go in the 1st and Kalil might even go in the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd. According to Football's Future, both of their stocks have been rising due to their play at the Sr. Bowl practices. http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...ove-draft.html JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

good effort.

seems more or less that you're just looking at the teams' needs and fitting in a player that matches the position need, and that's it. no marriage between need and the philosophy of the team. for example, daymeion hughes is pretty much just like fred thomas. the saints taking him would be doing nothing to help them there. juwan simpson isn't a good fit at all in the bucs' defense. he plays derrick brooks' position but is nothing like brooks. etc.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked your 3rd round pick ... Bush Lite .
Old 01-26-2007   #6
texanfan2100
Veteran

The word out of the senior bowl practices is that Aaron Ross may have played himself into the first round. I don't think he'll be there when we pick in round 2.

Obviously, I love your first round pick.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #7
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

i'd prefer AP to drop or get branch or okoye, but i applaud the effort.

i would hope that FA will clear up the defensive backfield issue, but certainly wouldnt put it past the team if they still took DB in the second even if someone like clements or michael lewis were signed. philly drafted three DB's with their first three picks in 2002 (one of them being lewis) and it paid dividneds.

i dont know alot about booker but what i have seen from different sites is that he seems to be more of a situational 3rd down type guy and not one who could carry the load. i believe the Texans need more of a horse in the backfield.

i would of course be OK with the Kolb pick, but am interested to see how his combine and pro-day goes. he seems like he did well for himself this week, but probably needs strong play tomorrow and to keep polishing his game with jerry rhome. he would appear to be a guy that could run the bootleg and throw outside of the pocket, but well see...
Old 01-27-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
WOW - great effort & nice looking too
Went faster than Mock 3.0, thats for sure. I think , looking at this that unless All Day is there at the eight, you can pretty much kiss off a trade down scenario. Several very nice players between 9-12.

What he said. Just curious, are you saying that Booker if we want him is a third round guy ? He will not make the fourth ?

Dirty Steve, the cap list is posted on here somewhere. I keep bumping it up. We're in the middle of the pack. The front line corner is going to cost 5-6 million per year. Plus, add in a DC trade...that's at least 9 million off a thirteen to fifteen million dollar cap....see where I'm going with this ? Samuels and Clemments are going to want to be paid. Locking down a front line corner is far from a done deal.
Old 01-27-2007   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

One glaring thing I noticed is how far you have Craig Davis (WR from LSU) falling. I would think he'd go in the late 2nd, early 3rd.
Old 01-27-2007   #10
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I don't know what anyone thinks of Mike Mayocks opinion, but he has Reggie Nelson as his 10th rated DB, meaning that he has nine other defensive backs rated higher than him. Personally, I don't know much about any of the DB's, but if there are nine DB's that are better than Nelson, why would you take Nelson at #8? To me, that goes against everything the Texans have stated they would do. They said that they wouldn't reach for a player in a position of need, but would instead take the BPA. If there are nine DB's better than Nelson, he would definately not be the BPA. JMHO.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Mayoch spends his day looking at film. One of the last things he said on the close out show to the senior bowl, (paraphrased because i'm too lazy to look it up on the tivo.....( about Jamarcus) I haven't looked yet at his feet, why he misses some plays. I'll have to look at the tape before I give him a final grade.

So he studies. He's prety close most of the time. He's guessing just like the rest of us. But, it's a very educated guess. He hit prety close on Cuttler. He missed on Erasmus James. A high end "play maker" saftey would help the team that's for sure.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-27-2007 at 12:19 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #12
K.D.
Veteran

[quote=Insideop;583486]Not a bad mock.

As for the Texans picks, I don't mind the 1st one, but if Staley is still on the board in the 2nd round when we pick, I would take him over Ross. And if Kalil is there in the 3rd round, I think we gotta take him too.

This is exactly how I feel. Get some studs for our O-Line. Reggie Nelson seems ok, but I haven't seen much of him, so I don't know if this is reaching for him or not. I love the Kolb pick in the 4th, I just hope he still be on the board at that time.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #13
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
I don't know what anyone thinks of Mike Mayocks opinion, but he has Reggie Nelson as his 10th rated DB, meaning that he has nine other defensive backs rated higher than him. Personally, I don't know much about any of the DB's, but if there are nine DB's that are better than Nelson, why would you take Nelson at #8? To me, that goes against everything the Texans have stated they would do. They said that they wouldn't reach for a player in a position of need, but would instead take the BPA. If there are nine DB's better than Nelson, he would definately not be the BPA. JMHO.
Mayock is a coach's son, played college and DB for the NY Giants. He can be overbearing but he knows his stuff. His primary job now is to study college players and report for the NFL network. I value his opinion and would take his rankings over Kiper's. I don't know if he missed on James, Erasmus has only played one season. He injured his knee in the 2nd game this year.
Old 01-27-2007   #14
baba ganoush
Veteran

im loven' kolb in the 4th, but i dont thik he'll drop past the late second or early third round..great mock though
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #15
old football fan
Veteran

I would take Irons before I would take Brooker because he fits our system better. I'm fine with the rest of the picks.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #16
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

For a 4 round mock, I thought you did a great job. I think some changes can be made here and there, but it was a good looking mock.
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #17
texman8
Veteran

Props on your good looking mock;bet it took alot of effort and thought.

Oakland Raiders (This is scenario for them)
1. Calvin Rice WR
2. Drew Stanton QB
3. OL

Rice is definitely deserving of #1 pick in draft. Even though , Russell has a rocket arm;there is a chance he can bust. IMO, Stanton might be a slight reach here at #33,,,,Maybe, Garcia can come back to Bay area for 2 years.

My top 10 in 2007 draft.

1. Calvin Rice Raiders

2.Joe Thomas Lions
3.Brady Quinn Browns
4.Gaines Adams Bucaneers
5.Jamaal Anderson Cards
6.Dwayne Jarrett Redskins
7. Jamarcus Russell Vikings

8. Adrian Peterson Texans
9. Alan Branch Dolphins
10.Reggie Nelson Falcons

Fantasy scenario for Texans' offseason.

Sign FA Clements, FA Steinbach or sign FA Steinbach,Redding. Lewis

Draft.#1 Draft#2
1. Peterson 1. Okoye
2.Merriweather 2. Kenny Irons
3.Chris Houston 3. Doug Free
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #18
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8 View Post

1. Calvin Rice WR
2. Drew Stanton QB
3. OL

Rice is definitely deserving of #1 pick in draft. Even though , Russell has a rocket arm;there is a chance he can bust. IMO, Stanton might be a slight reach here at #33,,,,Maybe, Garcia can come back to Bay area for 2 years.

My top 10 in 2007 draft.

1. Calvin Rice Raiders

2.Joe Thomas Lions
3.Brady Quinn Browns
4.Gaines Adams Bucaneers
5.Jamaal Anderson Cards

9. Alan Branch Dolphins
10.Reggie Nelson Falcons

Draft.#1 Draft#2
1. Peterson 1. Okoye
Do you mean Calvin Johnson?? The WR from Georgia Tech??
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8 View Post

1. Calvin Rice WR
2. Drew Stanton QB
3. OL

My top 10 in 2007 draft.

1. Calvin Rice Raiders

2.Joe Thomas Lions
3.Brady Quinn Browns
4.Gaines Adams Bucaneers
5.Jamaal Anderson Cards

9. Alan Branch Dolphins
10.Reggie Nelson Falcons

Draft.#1 Draft#2
1. Peterson 1. Okoye

I believe you mixed Calvin Johnson and Sidney Rice.

You can pick one of Clemment or Sammuels. But you sign one of the front line corners in FA....you're not going to be able to move DC and sign another High end Free agent. They simply do not have the cap space.

Unless Al Davis dies before the draft, the Raiders won't sign a WCO QB. Drew Satton doesn't have the arm for thier vertical offense. Jordan Palmer does, but he would be like the prospect they already have on the roster, Walters.

Doug Free is a waisted pick. So is Staley if you're hoping for an OLT to cover if Spencer can't come back. It's either Levi Brown with the eight or hold your water untill '08. Nice post enjoyed the read.
Old 01-27-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
im loven' kolb in the 4th, but i dont thik he'll drop past the late second or early third round..great mock though
Kevin Kolb is not a very good fit for this offense. He is a prospect for a vertical passing team. We don't do that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read