Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-26-2007   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Lelie FA

Voided the final year of his contract, now a UFA.

Texans: He's a legit deep threat, big target. A "playmaker"... but I don't know what Kubiak thinks about him.

Falcons: Roddy White/Michael Jenkins= horrible WR corps. They could conceivably draft another 1st rd. WR in this deep class. DB is still more likely.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lelie FA

good find Toro. w/deep WR class in the draft not sure if he will get the kind of money he hopes.

in a draft thin on db's I would prefer hometown CB Nate Clements who was just on sports radio 610 & said he would love to play for the Texans if the is right. note to Kubiak/Smith & Smith make this happen.....please

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #3
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
good find Toro. w/deep WR class in the draft not sure if he will get the kind of money he hopes.

in a draft thin on db's I would prefer hometown CB Nate Clements who was just on sports radio 610 & said he would love to play for the Texans if the is right. note to Kubiak/Smith & Smith make this happen.....please
there it is to all the people sayin he dont got a chance, mcnair pay the man, damn this just made my day better
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lelie isn't an upgrade over any WR on the roster.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #5
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
there it is to all the people sayin he dont got a chance, mcnair pay the man, damn this just made my day better
My 2 cents on Clements is this... you can only afford to pay 1 guy #1 CB money, and you only need 1 #1 CB to win. If you think Dunta is a lockdown corner or can be one next year or thereafter, you can't pay Clements. I think a solid veteran or a 2nd rounder like Aaron Ross is a better choice if Dunta can lockdown.
Old 01-26-2007   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

I'll pass. thanks. I didn't think he was worth the first rounder Denver orginally picked him with. I'm sure they are much happier with Javon Walker.
Old 01-26-2007   #7
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
I'll pass. thanks. I didn't think he was worth the first rounder Denver orginally picked him with. I'm sure they are much happier with Javon Walker.
So if Peterson is gone... who is the playmaker we add?
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Clements would love to play for anyone if the money is right.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Clements would love to play for anyone if the money is right.
Yes that is true. However the argument on this board has been that he is ready to go to a winning team after bad years in Buffalo.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #10
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Yes that is true. However the argument on this board has been that he is ready to go to a winning team after bad years in Buffalo.
From what he said on the radio... he's trying to get paid. He certainly thinks highly enough of his abilities to think he can turn a loser into a winner. He's right... shutdown corners go a long way.
Old 01-26-2007   #11
Dunta_23
All Pro

Realistically, he was doing the interview with a Houston based radio station? If im reading this properly...If he was asked if he would like to play for the Texans....would anybody expect him to say something along the lines of " No way....no matter what the money is, I want to play for a winner"...Players say the same thing all the time...IF we have enough $$$ to make a push....then he may come here....but I dont read anything about a "hometown discount"....he wants his $$$, it all spends the same no matter who gives it to you
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
My 2 cents on Clements is this... you can only afford to pay 1 guy #1 CB money, and you only need 1 #1 CB to win. If you think Dunta is a lockdown corner or can be one next year or thereafter, you can't pay Clements. I think a solid veteran or a 2nd rounder like Aaron Ross is a better choice if Dunta can lockdown.
DRob isnt getting paid #1 money; he's getting paid #10 overall pick money for 3-4 more years. (13th highest on our team). We could swing the both of them....I hope. Clements will be around the 10 year mark in 3-4 years; right about time to let him go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #13
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
DRob isnt getting paid #1 money; he's getting paid #10 overall pick money for 3-4 more years. (13th highest on our team). We could swing the both of them....I hope. Clements will be around the 10 year mark in 3-4 years; right about time to let him go.
What I'm saying is... if Dunta can be a shutdown corner... you don't need Clements... you just need a good #2 corner.
Old 01-26-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I'm saying is... if Dunta can be a shutdown corner... you don't need Clements... you just need a good #2 corner.
Dunta is not a shutdown corner. what he could be is a spectacular FS if the Texans had a legit shutdown corner better in man to man coverage, like Clements. Dunta is a defensive playmaker. Nate Clements is one of the best cover corners in the league & WHO DOES'NT need one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #15
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
So if Peterson is gone... who is the playmaker we add?
On Offense? Honestly I don't want ONE playmaker. I'd prefer a balanced offense that keeps you off guard and the sceme is more of a concern then just one person. Whether it's Dayne pounding the ball up the middle or Taylor on a pitch outside, Daniel Owens exposing the seams, and outside Johnson and Moulds(I still think there's a lot left in that tank.) and whomever(seriously I don't care) is the Qb being able to make solid decisions in the passing game. I will say this though There's a Reason why a guy like Sage didn't make it in Washington and Miami. Guy looks like a solid backup or Trent Dilfer type of QB at best. I like Peterson and if he falls to us and we take him I won't complain.

I like others just think that there's a lot more holes to fill then at running back and i think our defense is a FS and linebacker away from being one of the better defenses in the league. I like the addition of Frank Bush to the coaching Staff and i predict great things from Demeco next year.

Towards the end of the Year our running game picked up steam and i think Winston looked solid and was getting it and i can only lament what a Healthy Charles Spencer would've looked like out there. Am i saying Ron Dayne is the guy next year? I don't know. I think getting sustained carries later in the year game him time to develop a rhythm like he did at Wisconsin. Is he the break it to the house guy? No not really that's not his style. But Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis weren't break it to the house style guys either...oh yeah that's the last two backs to break the 2000 yard mark.\

If you're looking for a steal. Micheal Bush in the second round. Not sure if he'll be fully healthy by the start of the season but giving the Oline more talent and time to develop and him healthy....he'll be a much more deadly playmaker in the long run.

Back to Lelie. Threads like this where x player is available we should persue him in FA. Why would we want him when the problem area on our offense is NOT wide receiver?
Old 01-27-2007   #16
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta Robinson is not a shutdown corner by any means. Maybe he'll become more of a shutdown corner, but in the meantime he's one of the best tackling corners in the league. Put more of a cover corner opposite of him like Clements or Samuel and we're good at CB. Faggins can play the nickel.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This would only be true if our CB corp played receivers, rather than sides of the field. If you play sides of field, you need two corners who can both cover #1 WRs, because as it happens, the teams we play just switch their #1 to the non-DRob side
Old 01-27-2007   #18
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
On Offense? Honestly I don't want ONE playmaker. I'd prefer a balanced offense that keeps you off guard and the sceme is more of a concern then just one person. Whether it's Dayne pounding the ball up the middle or Taylor on a pitch outside, Daniel Owens exposing the seams, and outside Johnson and Moulds(I still think there's a lot left in that tank.) and whomever(seriously I don't care) is the Qb being able to make solid decisions in the passing game. I will say this though There's a Reason why a guy like Sage didn't make it in Washington and Miami. Guy looks like a solid backup or Trent Dilfer type of QB at best. I like Peterson and if he falls to us and we take him I won't complain.

I like others just think that there's a lot more holes to fill then at running back and i think our defense is a FS and linebacker away from being one of the better defenses in the league. I like the addition of Frank Bush to the coaching Staff and i predict great things from Demeco next year.

Towards the end of the Year our running game picked up steam and i think Winston looked solid and was getting it and i can only lament what a Healthy Charles Spencer would've looked like out there. Am i saying Ron Dayne is the guy next year? I don't know. I think getting sustained carries later in the year game him time to develop a rhythm like he did at Wisconsin. Is he the break it to the house guy? No not really that's not his style. But Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis weren't break it to the house style guys either...oh yeah that's the last two backs to break the 2000 yard mark.\

If you're looking for a steal. Micheal Bush in the second round. Not sure if he'll be fully healthy by the start of the season but giving the Oline more talent and time to develop and him healthy....he'll be a much more deadly playmaker in the long run.

Back to Lelie. Threads like this where x player is available we should persue him in FA. Why would we want him when the problem area on our offense is NOT wide receiver?
1. The FO says we need to add playmakers on O. I'll defer to their better judgment.

2. Even I can see that our skill personnel package lacks quite a bit of punch and HR threat.

3a. In 2005-2006 combined, this offense produced 5 pass plays of over 40 yards.

3b. From 2003-2005 in Denver, Lelie produced 15 receptions of over 40 yards (5 every year).

3c. Andre Johnson's YPC has gone from around 15 in 2003 and 2004 to 11 n 2005 and 2006. His catches 20+ and 40+ have been halved. Clearly, we need a deep threat to open up some space for him to operate.

So there it is, a pretty good case for adding a deep threat. Lelie fits that bill, and if the money, attitude, and PT situation fit, he'd be a really nice addition.
Old 01-27-2007   #19
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Dunta Robinson is not a shutdown corner by any means. Maybe he'll become more of a shutdown corner, but in the meantime he's one of the best tackling corners in the league. Put more of a cover corner opposite of him like Clements or Samuel and we're good at CB. Faggins can play the nickel.
Clements will probably get the biggest contract of this FA class in a market full of teams awash in cash and cap space. He'll go to the highest bidder... are you okay with that being the Texans? Samuel and his "Get paid" tat will be right behind. It's a tough call.
Old 01-27-2007   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I think Clements and Sammuels will keep each other from getting stupid money. I would think it will end up with something in the Champ Bailey range.

Another thing to keep in mind with our cap, it should clear up in a year or two when all those dead contracts finally finish (Wade, Smith etc.), so if we put most of Clements contract value a couple years from now, maybe we can give him his money without getting in cap hell.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read