Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2007   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Moving Lewis Sanders to FreeSafety??

I don't know if we talked about this before.... but what do you think?? Could that solve our Free safety problem??

I know some have toyed with the idea of moving Dunta to the FS spot, but he is way too small, and too fast for that..... Sanders IMHO is too slow to play Corner, so is Faggins, but he's too small to play safety.

I think if we move Sanders to Safety, & get some speed at the corner position(I just don't think Clements or Samuels are in our price range) our secondary would be much better.
Old 01-25-2007   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Moving Lewis Sanders to FreeSafety??

The easiest way to fix the secondary is to fix the pass rush. No secondary can cover indefiantly.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #3
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The easiest way to fix the secondary is to fix the pass rush. No secondary can cover indefiantly.
The easiest way to fix your pass rush is to get some DBs. NOT have 4 1st rd picks playing Dline for you.

IT SUCKS! when you dont have DBs that can cover if your a DE, Trust me! I used to loose my mind tell ing my CB to jump everything cause all I needed was just one more second to get a sack or force preasure, Mario on A LOT of plays was right there all he needed was another step or 2.

It goes both ways, it all has to be right, just like a QB and his OLine are 1.......
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I agree. Giving an opposing QB too much time in the pocket is always a sure fire way to make sure someone's going to eventually get open. Our pass rush is inconsistent, at best, and non-existent, at worst.
Old 01-25-2007   #5
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone know if Sanders has ever played there?

The old saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks and it must be a pretty big change of approach playing safety vs corner.... correct me if I'm wrong.

I just have this horrid image of more mistakes in the secondary as Sanders tries to figure out his new role.... with WR's making unopposed catches 10 yards behind our deepest man.
Old 01-25-2007   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
The easiest way to fix your pass rush is to get some DBs. NOT have 4 1st rd picks playing Dline for you.

IT SUCKS! when you dont have DBs that can cover if your a DE, Trust me! I used to loose my mind tell ing my CB to jump everything cause all I needed was just one more second to get a sack or force preasure, Mario on A LOT of plays was right there all he needed was another step or 2.

It goes both ways, it all has to be right, just like a QB and his OLine are 1.......
I agree.... for the most part, we weren't giving up too much time to the opposing QBs...

2.5 seconds, we need to be able to cover for 2.5 seconds.
Old 01-25-2007   #7
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know if we talked about this before.... but what do you think?? Could that solve our Free safety problem??

I know some have toyed with the idea of moving Dunta to the FS spot, but he is way too small, and too fast for that..... Sanders IMHO is too slow to play Corner, so is Faggins, but he's too small to play safety.

I think if we move Sanders to Safety, & get some speed at the corner position(I just don't think Clements or Samuels are in our price range) our secondary would be much better.
noble thought TK, but i'd think any possible "answer" to our secondary doesnt include Lewis Sanders. I am hoping for a FA signing like Lewis and a CB drafted in April.
Old 01-25-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go ahead and say its not our DLs fault or our DBs fault. Its a combination of the two. We had an injury ridden, talent lacking DL and a physically inferior DB corp that combined for the problems we witnessed.
Old 01-25-2007   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

"Show me a defense that can't get to the quarterback and I'll show you 4 defensive backs that can't cover."

--Deion Sanders--
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #10
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

"Show me DeMarcus Faggins covering a WR one on one and Ill show you a WR having a career day."

-- run david run & lee evans --
Old 01-25-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
"Show me a defense that can't get to the quarterback and I'll show you 4 defensive backs that can't cover."

--Deion Sanders--

without a doubt, we need to improve the pass rush... at the same time, we need to be able to cover for some amount of time. If the opposing QB is sitting in the pocket for more than 3 seconds, then the DL is not doing their job.

IF the QB is getting rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds...... predominately to his first read, then we've got secondary problems as well.
Old 01-25-2007   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree.... for the most part, we weren't giving up too much time to the opposing QBs...

2.5 seconds, we need to be able to cover for 2.5 seconds.
Which must explain our 28 total sacks last year, 27th in the league?...

We either consistently pressure opposing QBs or we don't. Sack totals are quite revealing in that regard.
Old 01-25-2007   #13
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
"Show me DeMarcus Faggins covering a WR one on one and Ill show you a WR having a career day."

Faggins does fine in man on man in shorter routes.

If our CB's ever had any help over the top there wouldnt be near as many big plays against our secondary. The biggest need on our team is a true FS.

Look at the Dallas Cowboys. IMO they have Terence Newman a good #1 CB. Roy Williams a great SS. Anthony Henry is a above average #2 CB. Then they have Pat Watkins and Keith Davis at FS. Yet their defense lookes terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Which must explain our 28 total sacks last year, 27th in the league?...

We either consistently pressure opposing QBs or we don't. Sack totals are quite revealing in that regard.
Because the opposing QB doesn't have to look for his second read.... his first read is always open.. he gets rid of the ball on time.

Most sacks in this league occur beyond 2.5 seconds. Most of David's sacks have come beyond 2.5 seconds.

Of course there will be some in less time. but for the most part, the team has to be able to cover for 2.5 seconds.
Old 01-25-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post

hahaha

Two 83 yard touchdown receptions in a row is impossible. If anyone says that has happen they are lying...it's a myth.....an old wives tale...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #16
wolfscar
Veteran

Quote:

I agree that more speed at CB is essential, but I don't think Lewis Sanders is good enough to start at FS. I think these are probably our two biggest gaps on the roster and I think we need a significant upgrade to both.

I hope you're wrong about Samuels / Clements, although I suspect you're right, but there's a lot of FS/CB talent in this year's draft and a fair amount in FA - I just hope we address both with genuine quality players, whoever we end up taking.
Old 01-26-2007   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think Sanders is a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense. A nickel safety in passing situations, sure. Not an everydown starter. It would be like Marcus Coleman, Part Deux.

As far as upgrading the corner spot with Clements or Samuel, that would be great. Did anyone else hear the Nate Clements interview on 610 this morning? He's living in Pearland, and seemed somewhat receptive to the idea of signing with the Texans.
Old 01-26-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think Sanders is a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense. A nickel safety in passing situations, sure. Not an everydown starter. It would be like Marcus Coleman, Part Deux.
That was my perception as well, and wondered if anyone else felt that way......
Old 01-26-2007   #19
K.D.
Veteran

He might be receptive to the ideal but are we receptive to the price tag!!
He's gonna try to break da bank, if you know what I mean.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
He might be receptive to the ideal but are we receptive to the price tag!!
I don't know. Clements will get paid by some team. And it didn't sound like he wanted to move back north. I'd hate to see him sign with the Jags or the Cowgirls, who both have a ton of cap space.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read