Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-24-2007   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowboys to hire Jason Garrett

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741032

He's going to be the offensive coordinator at least. Possible the head coach. Typically Jerry Jones. He'll get a yes-man in there to do his bidding.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default Re: Cowboys to hire Jason Garrett

Know of any other owners that would hire their OC before the HC? It would seem to me that if you're going to hire a HC that's a leader, he'd like to have some level of input as to who will be the OC.

I'd actually be cool with Garrett as the HC though.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

That's a bizarre move, but then again, this is Jerry Jones. Same guy who made Dave Campo and Chan Gailey coaches of America's Team.
Old 01-25-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

crap. garrett is going to be great.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm torn as a Cowboy fan growing up through. I don't like the idea of Norv if they decide he needs more offensive help and I'm not sure of Phillips and how he would do after other stints. I think Garrett definitely has the smarts and moxy to be a great coach but I'm a little put off that you would go O-coordinator and then tell the new coach..."I've put together your staff." Overall, after some seasoning, I like Garrett as a long time NFL coach.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-25-2007 at 08:36 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm torn as a Cowboy fan growing up through now. I don't like the idea of Norv if they decide he needs more offensive help and I'm not sure of Phillips and how he would do after other stints. I think Garrett definitely has the smarts and moxy to be a great coach but I'm a little put off that you would go O-ccordinator and then tell the new coach..."I've put together your staff." Overall, aftetr some seasoning, I like Garrett as a long time NFL coach.

Kudos. Agreed on the coaching staff sentiment. My thoughts are...why do people keep rehashing Norv Turner? Hell I would've looked like a bloody Genious with the Offense he had in the nineties. I think he should finally...FINALLY get lumped whether better or worse one of those guys that's a great Coordinator. But just not a headcoach. That's nota knock really... just one of those things.
Old 01-25-2007   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
Kudos. Agreed on the coaching staff sentiment. My thoughts are...why do people keep rehashing Norv Turner? Hell I would've looked like a bloody Genious with the Offense he had in the nineties. I think he should finally...FINALLY get lumped whether better or worse one of those guys that's a great Coordinator. But just not a headcoach. That's nota knock really... just one of those things.
Kind of like Dom Capers!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2007   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

what a far cry from what the Cowgirls used to be as far as organization and doing things the correct way.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #9
aquafin
Rookie

I hate that Garrett is leaving our team. I think he just might end up the head coach in Dallas. It makes more sense to make him the coach and then get him some help in the form of a good O coordinator, rather than make him the O coordinator and giving him some help from a head coach. What coach would want to coach in that situation...knowing that this guy will soon take your job.

Saban wanted to take him to Alabama, but Garrett wouldn't go. Obviously he is well respected around the league by people who know him and have worked with him previously.

I say just make him the HC.
aquafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #10
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

I think the Cowboys are going to make a run at Rivera, just picked up Jason Garrett just in case it doesnt work out with him. Then they will just have to find a another offensive coordinator
Old 01-25-2007   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztequila View Post
I think the Cowboys are going to make a run at Rivera, just picked up Jason Garrett just in case it doesnt work out with him. Then they will just have to find a another offensive coordinator
I hope. With two young minds like that I'd take it.
Old 01-25-2007   #12
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztequila View Post
Rivera or Lovie Smith? I think Jones made the smart move and got Garrett for at least insurance, but boy it would look embarrassing if Jones has to promote him to head coach if he doesn't land his guy.......
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #13
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

Whoever the cowboys pick, I think it will be a defensive guy, the offense in Dallas is set, they need to bring in a strong defensive minded coach to even it out. I still think Ron Rivera is the guy they want, as Lovie Smith is pretty much out of the picture now.
Old 01-26-2007   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got no problem with Jason in any capacity on the Cowboys staff. He always was a really bright guy.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #15
aquafin
Rookie

How do you know that Garrett is a 'Yes' man. Don't sell him short there. he's a bright guy with a lot of potential. This just might turn out well for Dallas in the long run. Some times you just have to take a gamble. I really think he will rise to the occasion.
aquafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Bush View Post
According to ESPN this was a plan by the Cowboys. They wanted to bring in Garret and let him be O.C. for a year under Parcell's and take over in 08. So I'm guessing this didn't sit very well with Tuna and he decided to go ahead and retire since the job was going to be handed over anyway. This sounds like some Jerry Jones crap. Let Parcel's(Jimmy Johnson)do all the work and then bring in the yes man Garret(switzer) to take over an already play-off(championship)team. I hope this blows up in Jone's face he is a douche bag and deserves it.
Jones' responsibility to the team extends well beyond the interests of Bill Parcells. It's no secret that Parcells wasn't going to coach in Dallas forever. And it's not as if Jerry's plans were to show Bill the door as soon as he felt Garrett was able to take over the HC duties.
Old 01-26-2007   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know that I read as much into the hiring of Jason as the Cowboys head coach as others although I would have no opposition to him becoming just that.

Miami gave the Cowboys a very short window in which to interview and hire Jason if they wanted to do so. Something like a day or maybe two.

So if Jerry wanted Jason in any capacity (which he obviously did) he had to hire him right then and there.

The fact that he was not named head coach right then and there makes me think Jerry is looking at others for that postion. Message board searching this morning I keep seeing the name of Ron Rivera and Gary Gibbs.

I'm not real sorry to see Bill go. I think it was time.
Old 01-26-2007   #18
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I'm not real sorry to see Bill go. I think it was time.
Absolutely.

Personally, I'd rather see them go ahead and name Garrett the HC now.

Norv Turner - Has had two opportunities to be a head coach and failed at both. Great coordinator...not so great HC.
Wade Phillips - See Norv Turner.
Ron Rivera - Employs a Cover 2 defense. This defense is built for a 3-4 and Roy Williams is nothing close to being a Cover 2 safety.

Last edited by Huge; 01-26-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafin View Post
How do you know that Garrett is a 'Yes' man. Don't sell him short there. he's a bright guy with a lot of potential. This just might turn out well for Dallas in the long run. Some times you just have to take a gamble. I really think he will rise to the occasion.
I agree. He is a Princeton guy and was basically second coach when he played. He has alot of the qualifications and background that Peyton had. He may need a little experience but from what I heard from my family up there JJ was disappointed Peyton got away and wanted to do the same with Garrett once they got the window. I don't like the choices they want to bring in with him and I don't like having a guy in place if there is another coach..but I do like Garrett.
Old 01-26-2007   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Wade Phillips is in Dallas being interviewed so he's definitely on the radar.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read