Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:(Richard) Justice served

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant77.html
Quote:
by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

Richard Justice long ago lost the ability (desire?) to inform; his last remaining bullet is provocation; cheap, self-serving provocation. And I know, I know - he’s a columnist, his job is to stoke our ire and generate interest in his publication. But he’s also bound by a code that requires responsibility and accuracy, and he seems not the least bit bothered with either of late.

Case in point, his most recent Texan fan-baiting screed, "Saints Show City a Revival is Achievable". While it may initially appear that Justice is shedding a light on the New Orleans Saints and their remarkable season, make no mistake about it, his real focus is the Texans, though he never actually mentions them by name.

By lauding the Saints and what they’ve accomplished this year, Justice is really just sticking it to the Texans and all that they didn’t accomplish. And while it’s overtly obvious the two worst teams in football last year (by virtue of record) have taken wildly divergent paths in 2006, using the Saints as a standard to measure the Texans is nothing more than a cheap shot that does a disservice to both the team and its fans

Not that Justice has any obligation to blow sunshine through our anal cavities on behalf of the Texans; he most certainly does not. But he does have an obligation to not be lazy; to not wallow with the lowest common denominator; and above all, to maintain his, and by extension our integrity.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HPF:(Richard) Justice served

Quote:
Yeah, sure, the Saints were sunk by Katrina; I promise you, Charlie Casserly did more damage than a hurricane ever could.
that needs to be nominated for one of the posts of the year
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #3
ojthecat
Veteran

I read Justice's article and I do not see it that way at all.
Old 01-24-2007   #4
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

I'm sorry, you can't compare the Saints to the Texans. They had loads of talent the year they went 3-13. They were always an underacheiving team until Sean Payton arrived and lit a fire under them. They had a couple of key free agent pick-ups like Drew Brees and Hollis Thomas and had great motivation and determination to play well, and plus played in a weaker conference.

If you want to compare somebody to the Texans, make it the Titans. Then we are on a level playing feild.
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow...this guy has a beef with Richard Justice. I think he's overblown the whole thing.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus every game last season was a road game for them. They finally got to play home games this season and the hype and excitment added to that was dangerous for opposing teams.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant77.html

by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

By lauding the Saints and what theyíve accomplished this year, Justice is really just sticking it to the Texans and all that they didnít accomplish. And while itís overtly obvious the two worst teams in football last year (by virtue of record) have taken wildly divergent paths in 2006, using the Saints as a standard to measure the Texans is nothing more than a cheap shot that does a disservice to both the team and its fans
Sounds like Sweeney's trying to pick a fight. If RJ was taking a shot at the Texans, then what for?? for not taking Bush with the #1 overall?? I thought Reggie's already proven that he wasn't worth the #1 overall...

or for not bringing in a QB like the Saints did??
Old 01-24-2007   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Wow...this guy has a beef with Richard Justice. I think he's overblown the whole thing.
I think a lot of it is pretty much on target. Justice is a pretty lazy writer that thinks he is being clever with his subtle references, but anyone that consistently reads his crap knows the truth. Stick your head down a toilet filled with diarrhea on a daily basis and you will know what its like. When Justice trashed the Astros before they went to the World Series, he tried to turn it around like he was the reason they did so well. Now this year, he is all over the anti-Mario Williams bandwagon as he pumps up players from other cities more than he has ever done for our own team. He sells out to the highest bidder at every juncture and just perpetuates preconceived opinions about the Texans, their players, and their fans. His style of reporting is such a disgrace that I wish they would just divide up his salary among the guys at HPF and Texans_Chick because they already do his job for free, and lock him in a giant FedEx box with Nashville as the destination. And please, don't put a return address.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Sounds like Sweeney's trying to pick a fight. If RJ was taking a shot at the Texans, then what for?? for not taking Bush with the #1 overall?? I thought Reggie's already proven that he wasn't worth the #1 overall...
Dick is still very bitter and hasn't gotten over the fact that the Texans did not draft VY or RB. He is a cheap shot artist and once again he is getting called on it.
Old 01-24-2007   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who cares........
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #11
Anguyen
Rookie

never like flip flop Justice
Old 01-24-2007   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Bizarre, reaching, paranoid, defensive....

A deranged instant classic for those who like to wallow in misery. Everyone is out to get us you know...

I had to go back and re-read that Justice piece to see if it was the same one I had read (it's a week old). I'm not big on Justice but I thought it was kind of a nice tribute to our NFC neighbors to the East. All Justice said was the Texans made a mistake with the first pick of the 2006 draft -- a position that quite a few happen to agree with. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4475934.html. I also happen to agree with Justice's position - whenever he gets the opportunity to say it - that Casserly is a fool.

Keep reading between the lines Ric and I'll sleep well knowing that you are fighting the good fight against all those bad guys out there who are out to get us....

As for me, I'm looking ahead to free agency and the draft...

Last edited by aj.; 01-24-2007 at 09:07 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #13
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Everyone is out to get us you know...
I can't wait until we're good enough to blame the refs on our losses. He'll have a field day with that.
Old 01-24-2007   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Justice has found that expressing loud, wild opinions that change with the wind is the current success formula for sports reporters, and he's taking advantage.

Yes, the Saints underachieved last year because they had to play 16 road games after experiencing personal trauma with the hurricane (lost homes, etc). But they are an example how an upgrade at the QB position can make a huge difference.
Old 01-24-2007   #15
old football fan
Veteran

Richard Justice just got what he deserves. He is totally full of himself and needs to be barred fron the Texans team.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I give the HPF piece an Amen.

The Saints article wasn't terribly subtle, and Justice's blog when it talks about the Texans is nearly unreadable, unless you enjoy smug superficial rehash and amateur Don Rickles. Which is basically what Ric said.

The Chronicle sports writers have contests to see whose blogs get the most webhits. This encourages provocative posts.

McClain's blog is definitely a bonus for those wanting extra Texans coverage. I like reading a lot of his behind the scenes stuff. Justice, Lopez and Solomon are just trying to be provocative.

Personally, one of the reasons why I got involved with blogging over there is that I thought that the paper was absolutely unfair in the way that they handled the draft. And they have a tendency to not want to talk about anything but Carr stuff and draft mistakes.

Time will tell whether the Texans made a horrible mistake, but it was nasty to not provide much actual background information about Williams, other than a front of the sports page dishing about the biggest draft busts of all times. USA Today ran a story almost immediately about his background, and what happened to his brother in law. The Chronicle ran a similar story weeks later.

I'm not saying that they have to shill for the Texans, but it would be nice for fans to have more information about their number one draft pick other than he was a big freaky athletic guy.

But unfortunately, the only places that most Texans fans can get their information is through the Texans website (happy sunshine, though I am thankful for every video, every presser), or through the Chronic.

When the biases of the columnists are so apparent, it is hard not to read their articles without wondering whether their column is designed to truth tell or to just trying to be the latest told you so.

Humans. They are imperfect vessels of truthtelling. Some try better than others.

JMO.
Old 01-25-2007   #17
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
This is stupid. Justice's unspoken point is legitimate and germane. The Saints had a great year with good moves in all the right sectors and terrific results. That the Texans didn't come close is also true and reflects badly on the team, the coaches, the entire operation.

Texans have a chance to get better next year. Maybe they will this time. Or maybe it becomes a 6 year pattern of incompetence instead of a 5 year pattern.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProFootball.com
Richard Justice long ago lost the ability (desire?) to inform;
My respect for HPF.com is at an all-time high now.

I haven't enjoyed the Chronicle writers for awhile now. McLain is alright, but that's about the extent of it, and that's only because of his knowledge of NFL history and insight to many of his experiences and relationships.

But the rest of the staff followed McClain down the rabbit hole a long, long time ago. I can't even stomach Lopez's afternoon radio show. It's weak to begin with, and he just doesn't have the personality or depth of knowledge to carry a radio show for several hours a day. It's only a matter of time before that thing is yanked off the air.

As far as Justice, I stopped caring about his spin awhile back. I read it because 1) the sports page is given to me free every day, 2) nothing else to read in the bathroom, and 3) comedic value. I certainly don't take anything he says seriously, though, because it's all fluff to me.
Old 01-25-2007   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269 View Post
I think a lot of it is pretty much on target. Justice is a pretty lazy writer that thinks he is being clever with his subtle references, but anyone that consistently reads his crap knows the truth. Stick your head down a toilet filled with diarrhea on a daily basis and you will know what its like. When Justice trashed the Astros before they went to the World Series, he tried to turn it around like he was the reason they did so well. Now this year, he is all over the anti-Mario Williams bandwagon as he pumps up players from other cities more than he has ever done for our own team. He sells out to the highest bidder at every juncture and just perpetuates preconceived opinions about the Texans, their players, and their fans. His style of reporting is such a disgrace that I wish they would just divide up his salary among the guys at HPF and Texans_Chick because they already do his job for free, and lock him in a giant FedEx box with Nashville as the destination. And please, don't put a return address.
Agreed.

He's like the celebrities who go to France and denounce our country. They do that stuff because they know they will be worshipped and idolized...they know it makes easier for them when they go and vacation in Paris. They have the media and the masses on "their side" in other words.

RJ is the same: He wants to take a poll and then write in a way that makes him look like the smartest guy in the room.

It's a defense mechanism geared to mask his inability to stand up for what's right. He'll always be the guy who sees a sinking ship and says "Oh, a ship is sinking" and not the guy who says "I need to find a way to help the people on the ship."

By all means, he should be able to say what's on his mind about the Astros and what they are doing to fail, but to call them dead and buried was just over-sensationalized to the point of comedy when they turned it around and were in the world series. You'd think he'd learn his lesson about that stuff...but he won't.

He's too far gone. He's a hater, and he's making his living off of laughing at us. It just makes life easier for himself in the end: Other people in other areas agree with his views, and he plays up to that.

It's the Houston sports media culture that's trickled down to the fans and the citizens. When the Rockets finally were about to win their first title, all the stories were about how the fans had no faith that it could happen...they just knew that we would choke...the media and the fans even embraced the Choke City label for pete's sake.

Heck, even in Boston you could sense that the fans KNEW it was destiny that was about to launch them into a world series victory. Those guys have a better sense of sports destiny than we do. Yeah, they believe in curses and all...but you could see on their faces and in their expressions that they KNEW they were going to win.

Kubiak has his work cut out for him, not just from a team logisitical standpoint, but because he has to overcome haters that cover his team. Even McLain is more interested in what HE can get out of it than he is in the success of the team: He flaunts his behind-the-scenes elbow rubbing and his good 'ole boy connections with Bud Adams as what he's most proud of. He's about the personal relationship aspect of covering the NFL, who he gets to know and what he gets to do, rather than feeling a personal responsibility to covering the team that's RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. He hasn't divorced Bud yet, and so he's not even really and truly married with the Texans yet.

RJ and McLain are two writers that are not really serving Houston and Houston fans in the best possibler fashion.

Yes, give us your critiques and unabashed opinions, but please do it in a way that's somewhat respectful and mindful that THIS is where you live, and We are who you write to. It's like the obnoxious relative in your family that always brags about what he's doing...and then begins to downplay whatever it is that YOU are doing. Nice, eh?

I have seen better writing on this message board than I have seen in those guys' columns. Texans Chick should be a columnist. Period. Her level of knowledge and her level of passion for the Texans are leaps and bounds ahead of McLain. It's scary.
Old 01-25-2007   #20
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

When I think of Justice and his writing, I think of a little High Schooler that is tired of his friends in Chess club and wants to make it into the "popular" crowd but just doesn't have what it takes. In his desparation, the kid keeps throwing his geeky friends (no offense to chess club members) under the bus hoping it will make him fit in with the cool crowd, when he should just make the best of what hes got and let things happen naturally. Justice trashes the city and its players because right now its the cool thing to do on the national scale and he has no problem throwing Houston under the bus if it eventually gets the attention of a national syndicate. Well Richard, if it gets you any closer to the "ranking" (Or should I say, rank) sportswriters of SI and ESPN, I hope you keep it up so we can get rid of you in Houston.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read