Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-24-2007   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default A Peterson vs Bush

With all the hysteria about Reggie last year, why are not more Texans fans clamoring for Adrian? I've read where he was considered a stronger rusher before the collar bone than Bush and was acceptable coming out of backfield on "dumps". Doesn't have the hands or speed of Reggie but seems to be a great match up for our offense. Has any one compared rushing only stats of the two? To be honest after selecting Johnson then Mario and signing Weaver, it is time to tell the dline to stand up and get a few sacks. I can see a corner in F/agency and maybe a line backer in mid rounds but the first two picks should be offense.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #2
real

Default Re: A Peterson vs Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
the first two picks should be offense.
The first two picks should be the most valuable left on the board...
Old 01-24-2007   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have AP play for us than Reggie Bush. I think most teams would. esp. if he's going to be you're feature back...bush has worked very well in NO because the way he's being used.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
...bush has worked very well in NO because the way he's being used.

Shouldn't you use any player you have in a way that showcases their best attributes ?
Old 01-24-2007   #5
real

I'd rather have Bush.

I think a player like RB gives your offense mucho flexibility.
Old 01-24-2007   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm taking AP. He is amazing...speed and power. On the same track, I'd take LJ over Westbrook.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
On the same track, I'd take LJ over Westbrook.
I'm not sure how thats the same...

Would you take L.J over Marshall Faulk ?

Or would it depend on what kind of offense you ran
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2007   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

bush is nothing like faulk, not even close. i'm not sure why those comparisons are even made, yet i see them all the time. faulk is pretty much just like ladanian tomlinson. bush is a younger version of brian westbrook at best.

and peterson doesnt compare well to LJ. johnson is very patient, peterson certainly isn't.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

All other things equal, I'd rather have Peterson.

I'm more impressed with runners that run over people than ones that dance around them.

Bush is more versatile, but Peterson gets the tough yards.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
bush is a younger version of brian westbrook at best.
Check the pressure on your fire extinguishers...

Reggie is about to set the leauge on fire...
Old 01-24-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Shouldn't you use any player you have in a way that showcases their best attributes ?
Yea you should...they are using him for dump offs and as a slot receiver more than a running back....that was my point. I'm not blaming them for doing that I'm just saying I'd rather have a true running back than that...unless I already had one.

look at bush's touchdown in the playoff game they lost....i liked that it was a reception from 90 yards away...where he ran just about all of it. it was a heck of a juke and he was gone. nothing against bush or payton...but that is the best way to utilize bush. i'd rather have a running back that tallied up 15TD's a season...on the ground. Bush shouldn't have taunted urlacher either...that lit a fire in the entire chicago D.

Adrian seems a lot more humble to me than Reggie too. Not that that says anything about their play, they are both outstanding...but that is something in the locker room that you should look at...adrian seemed like he was more of a leader at OK even when he was injured than Bush was at USC.

Again I don't want to sound like i'm taking anything away from either of them though.
Old 01-24-2007   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
bush is nothing like faulk, not even close. i'm not sure why those comparisons are even made, yet i see them all the time. faulk is pretty much just like ladanian tomlinson. bush is a younger version of brian westbrook at best.

and peterson doesnt compare well to LJ. johnson is very patient, peterson certainly isn't.
Why does everything have to be so complicated ?

The comparison is between two players that are mostly straight ahead runners, with limited recieving skills vs two guys who rely on speed and agility and good/great hands for a running back...simple as that....

I'm sorry we couldn't find a Reggie or L.J clone that copied their running style to the exact step and ran EXACTLY like the real Reggie and L.J..
Old 01-24-2007   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson is more of the classic run between the tackles kind of back while Bush is more of an outside threat (ie sweep, off tackle, lining up as a WR). Bush is probably faster, but Peterson still has that break away speed that none of our starting RBs have ever had. Maybe Taylor has the speed, but not the skill of AP.

I think AP would better fit the Texans scheme than Bush would any day. If any of you look at the AP videos, you'll see how quick he is to make that first step then find the hole and go. AP would do great in our zone blocking scheme, he hits the hole extremely fast and turns on the afterburners when he's free.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Again I don't want to sound like i'm taking anything away from either of them though.
Why would anybody think that....

I honestly believe it comes down to your style as a playcaller, and your needs...

unless of course we're looking at this situation in a vaccum...
Old 01-24-2007   #15
real

Wali Lundy or Tom Brady ?
Old 01-24-2007   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Why would anybody think that....

I honestly believe it comes down to your style as a playcaller, and your needs...

unless of course we're looking at this situation in a vaccum...
lol, yea don't want anyone to think I'm a bush hater.

Agreed, I think most playcallers in the nfl would control the clock with AP. The nfl does seem to be changing tough with more passing than classic running.. I don't think Bush is going to light the nfl on fire like a lot of people think. There's no arguing about his talent, but dont see him a few years down the road being the guy everyone is scared of. No one is scared of Vick anymore...he still has his scrambles and huge plays with his feet..but teams just try to contain him and then they will win. I think teams will just contain bush.

I am also concerned about his durability. That shot he took in the championship game was one of the biggest hits I've ever seen. I was really impressed at the extent he contributed the rest of the game. That wasn't going to be the last hit like that...and it's going to wear on his body unfortunately.
Old 01-24-2007   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I have to admit, I would rather have Peterson than Bush.

Question: Would you rather have Mario and Peterson OR Bush and whoever we could draft with our 8th (other than a RB) this year?
Old 01-24-2007   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

VY and Peterson would have been sick.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
VY and Peterson would have been sick.
Yea that would have been reeally sick.

i'd rather have mario and peterson than Bush and Gaines Adams (although we're not guaranteed to get peterson.)

I'd also rather have VY and AP than Bush and Russell.
Old 01-24-2007   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

because the media-machine isn't hyping him up like it did Bush last year. And, apparently, most Texan fans are sheep and follow whatever they hear the most.

Everyone clamored and screamed for Bush until early November, then they all screamed about Vince Young. Three years ago everyone loved David Carr now everyone thinks he's the worst QB in the history of the NFL.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read