Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-20-2004   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I relented on Udeze last year because of the size issue, and I'm happy the Texans found a true gem in Robinson but now the Texans need to address the pass rush with the highest skilled, intelligent good character in the draft I'm sticking with David Pollack
Gonna half agree here. IMO size is overrated compared to ability. 250 lb DE's aren't ideal for 4-3 evens, but Jason Taylor,Jevon Kearse and Dwight Freeney seem to do pretty well. I apply a 10% rule--if an ideal DE for a 3-4 is 300, then we should look at people from 270 lbs to 330 lbs and consider their ability. That said, what is Pollack's natural weight?--is it 260 or outside that range and would have to go to OLB or is it 280 lbs and might be fine at DE. Udeze was 280 lbs but had played heavier and was very light, i.e. not at his natural weight--if I recall he was sub-10% body fat at that weight--he could have been fine at DE in a 3-4. Will Smith, Jason Babin--classic guys that could never be 3-4 DE's.
Old 10-20-2004   #22
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
wags the article also said he has his own key to the weight room and he worked out 2 times a day in the off-season.
Don't know if this is meant to contradict my workout warrior statement or not. I have always used the term workout warrior to represent someone who is freakishly strong in the weight room. For example, the TE Ben Watson, who benches over 600 lbs and runs a 4.6 in the 40. Pollack may work out often, but he isn't one of the stronger DE's in the college football. I have heard some scouts say that he will not go high in the first because he won't impress at the NFL combine. That is what I meant by him not being a workout warrior.
Old 10-21-2004   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

wags, I've heard it both ways so there seems to be some room for both agreement/disagreement. The weight/lifting will be settled but probably not until the combine which as you suggested might drop his stock with lesser weights. He does look a lot like another Jason Babin, which makes Jason seem like a good value with a #27 pick, right now most Mocks have David 15-20 (Texans currently sitting @ #16).

stud DT's are few and far between. Wright from Texas will be long gone, leaving two good prospects Marcus Spears & Anttaj Hawthorne both may have promising NFL careers but do they fit the Texans profile? Frankly I'm not sold.

Orien Harris DT Miami is the darkhorse (if he comes out) do you take a gamble & trade down? would he still be available in the mid 20's? I'm guessing he's not so then you have to decide is he a better fit than Marcus or Anttaj @ #16?

where the Texans select, given a strong second half of the season by both Miami Hurricanes and the Texans, best case scenereo is Orien Harris if you desire a stud DT, David Pollack if you choose a 3-4 OLB.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #24
TexansCanes
All Pro

i think orien will probably come out this year, he has had a good year and is being pushed by some young guys so i think he will leave.

as for wright, i havn't been that impressive with him that much. the only full texas game i have watched was the ou game and the d line was physically man handled, as usual, not sure what he did but they gave up 225 on the ground.
Old 10-23-2004   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

found some background info on Orien see what ya'll think-

http://www.thestate.com/mld/miamiher...ts/9541422.htm

Last edited by beerlover; 10-23-2004 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2004   #26
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

sounds like a headcase with authority issues. but who am i to judge .. we could definatly use some spark on defense. I love that everyone on the Texans is reserved, and professional, and a hard worker.. but I wouldnt mind someone who is more like a Ray Lewis.. someone who will fire up the defense when they need it and get them playing rough.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
sounds like a headcase with authority issues. but who am i to judge .. we could definatly use some spark on defense. I love that everyone on the Texans is reserved, and professional, and a hard worker.. but I wouldnt mind someone who is more like a Ray Lewis.. someone who will fire up the defense when they need it and get them playing rough.
& Ray Lewis is not a head case with authority issues
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2004   #28
astrofan
Veteran

I like taking a chance on Dusty Dvoracek to be groomed behind Gary Walker at LDE. He's usually listed between 275 and 295 which is a little light but at the end of the First Day or the beginning of the Second Day he might be a good value. As far as character goes, well I'll quote McMurphy...
ďWhat happened, you see, was I got in a couple of hassles..., to tell the pure truth, and the court ruled that Iím a psychopath. And do you think Iím gonna argue with the court? Shoo, you can bet your bottom dollar I donít. ...Iíll be whatever their little heart desires, be it psychopath or mad dog or werewolf, because I donít care.... Now they tell me a psychopathís a guy fights too much and ****s too much, but they ainít wholly right, do you think? I mean, whoever heard tell of a man gettiní too much poozle?"
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read