Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2007   #1
Toro
Veteran

Default For those who are against Peterson

There was a little snippet in the latest Sporting News magazine that named off the 5 people who will bring immediate improvement to whatever team they wind up on.

The 5th name on that list was Peterson. In this snippet, Shaun Alexander gave rousing endorsements to Peterson saying that he envisions Peterson as the next HB to reach the 2,000 yard plateau.

Take this for what it's worth, however LaDanian Tomlinson said something very similar to this, saying that he thinks Peterson will be on his level. I'd certainly take those reccomendations any day of the week.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For those who are against Peterson

That's why I don't think that 7 other teams will pass on him before we can get him.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #3
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

All day, why would anyone be against this pick, I personally would trade up to make sure I got him.

Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #4
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
That's why I don't think that 7 other teams will pass on him before we can get him.
I don't think it happens either, but noone would have predicted Matt Leinart would fall to 10 either.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #5
Trenches
Veteran

I wouldnt be sad about that pick at all. My ONLY gripe would be that the shelf life of a RB is way less than that of a QB. We are better off a RB (wow, thats not saying much) than we are at QB. If I were to trade up, it would be to get JaMarcus.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #6
1-3
Veteran

Quote:
We are better off a RB (wow, thats not saying much) than we are at QB. If I were to trade up, it would be to get JaMarcus.
I think Sage very well could be a better QB than Dayne and company are running backs. Now, of course QB is a more important position, but we have to be damn near dead last in the league at RB. As for Peterson.. If he would have had a better bowl game, I think he would be a whole lot higher regarded right now.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think AP would play real well here and think he'd be a 1000 yard rusher easy. In San Diego or Seattle....yes 2000 is possible but not here...for a while at least
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2007   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
All day, why would anyone be against this pick, I personally would trade up to make sure I got him.

As nice as it would be to have a great running back, we need defense.

If you are going to win in the AFC with all the offensive talent that is loaded throughout, if it is mandatory that you win at least 10 games to make a wild card birth, if you have Manning, Harrison, Wayne, VY, Jones-Drew in your division, you had better have a great defense.

Just my thought on the whole matter.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

if peterson is there, you draft him, no questions asked.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
if peterson is there, you draft him, no questions asked.
I agree with this man.

Thats too much value to pass up at that eight spot. Had Peterson stayed healthy he had number 1 overall potential. I don't see how you pass up that much value.
Old 01-24-2007   #11
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't the injury risk scare you guys? This team can't afford picking Dominick Williams at 8 overall.

But there's no doubt he's a talent when healthy.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #12
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

The health isn't a concern...he broke his collarbone. It's not like we should be concerned beause he has "weak" collarbones, thats not the case. It was a freak accident. It would be different if it was a knee, or something else.

If he is available at #8, take him. He is a much better player than bush ever will be. I just don't think he will be available, even though I have seen a few mocks having him available.

Imagine this, Adrian Peterson our starting back, use him as a reggie bush though also, so we can put williams at back with him at slot for example. Bring in Dayne for power situations. Chris Taylor and Lundy can spell Williams/Peterson if needed.

That is one crowded, competitive backfield. Behind a healthy offensive line, I guarantee our rushing attack will be top 5 in the league.
Old 01-24-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if he's there at 3 and the brownies are not enamored with the two offensive guys Quin and Petterson, they feel they can very good value with a defensive guy, or they can get Petterson with the eight, THAT opens the door for a move up and get Joe Thomas. OLT is the need on the ball club. Has been for five years. If they take All Day I'll be on board. Plenty of OLT prospects on the board in '08. I just don't feel he is quite the lock at Elite some of you are making out to be. Me I fix the o-line once and for all. Five years of mediocrity is enough for my tastes. Those three, Winston , Thomas and Spencer , if he makes it back, would lock down their o-line for ten years. Then you guys can have your pretty skill guys all you want. I won't gripe. The bobbles , so far, haven't moved this club up the nfl food chain yet. The common thread in this medicrity has been the o-line. Wanna argue chicken before the egg fine. Pick the guy at the eight. I just don't wanna see no griping on the board if the injuries are more than just a fluke. You knew what you were getting when you took the guy.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-24-2007 at 08:21 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Doesn't the injury risk scare you guys?
nope.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Imagine this, Adrian Peterson our starting back, use him as a reggie bush though also, so we can put williams at back with him at slot for example.
Peterson is not that kind of player...
Old 01-24-2007   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Well if the Sporting News said it...
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I don't think it happens either, but noone would have predicted Matt Leinart would fall to 10 either.
Good point. I thought the first 3 picks in last years Draft should have been
VY, Leinert, and Jay Cutler with one or 2 teams trading up to be in the top
3 to get those guys. But surprise, surprise Leinert & Cutler fall to 10 and 11.
So if teams wanting QBs won't move up, why would teams wanting RBs do so ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm open up to the idea of having peterson. the injuries concern me a little bit though. not that the ones he has had will hinder him in the future or reoccur...they arent knee injuries or anything. But yes they do concern me. If you look at it as black and white, I'm looking at if he continues to have 'freak' injuries every year in the pros. what's the difference if he misses 6 games because of a broken hand on a tackle vs. 6 games at the end of the season with a acl tear. Then the following year, say something else freak happens and he's out more games....If he misses games thats what concerns me especially if its consistantly missing games.

I do not like the idea of moving up to get Thomas. Yea I would love to have him but we need ALL the picks we have. I'd be more inclined to trade down..and ge levi brown than trade up to get thomas. i know brown is 'no where near thomas level'.

If we don't get Peterson I hope we pick an elite DE,DT or FS with the first pick, whatever is the best value. I'm also hoping we address the oline through the draft like we did last year in the 3rd. Next years LT class will be a lot better in the 1st than this years, so I'm hoping we select one with our 1st next year. Thats very dangerous looking that far ahead though...plus we have been saying that about our oline the entire time....maybe next year...maybe next year. its caught up to us.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #19
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

At #8, AD will provide the best value as well as the need
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #20
Heywood
Veteran

not that it matters this year, but allan patrick is a better fit than peterson.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read