Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-22-2007   #1
dgar3752
Rookie

Default Now heres a plan!

Besides Thomas and Brown..the rest of the tackles on the board are going to slip into the 3rd rd. One or two might creep into the second but thats a big maybe. The texans, Broncos and Falcons are just about the only teams who grade the smaller more athletic T's higher bc of the system we use. I say we wait until the 3rd rd before we take a T. Here me out......next yr, Long ,Baker and Gaither will be coming out and whether we like it or not we will have a shot at one of them. If for some reason our 3rd T doesnt work out this coming year then we move him to RT and go Franchise LT next yr.

ex. 07 line. LT Tony Ugoh LG Pitts C Weary RG Winston RT Spencer. Everyone else is depth. A very young line with talent and time to gel together.

If for some reason That doesnt work then we go Franchise LT next year where Long ,Baker and Gaither are worthy of a 1st rd pick.

ex. 08 line. LT Baker LG Pitts C Weary RG Winston/Spencer RT Tony Ugoh.
Of coarse this is just an example but in doing so it allows us to concentrate on finishing what we started last year.

1st rd. L. Landry/ A. Peterson
2nd rd. A.Okoye/R.Alexander/B.Meriweather
3rd rd. T.Ugoh/J.Staley/R.Harris/D.Free
4th rd. T.Hunt RB/J.Higgins wr/Jason Hill wr/D.Baker wr /R.McKnight wr
5th rd. BPA..Dline/Secondary/LB
6th rd. D.Sepulveda P

We will have the money to sign 1 stud and some role players this coming year.
1. LOLB-L.Briggs/A.Thomas/C.June/L.Fletcher=studs
2. CB-N.Clements/A.Samuel=studs
3. DL-D.Freeney/J.Allen/J.Smith=studs
4. OL-E.Steinbach=stud
We could use help in any of these positions

Role Players
1.K.Hamlin/M.Lewis
2.N.Diggs/B.Bailey
3.T.Sands/C.Redding/V.Holliday

Cuts-Payne/Wong/Gado
dgar3752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Now heres a plan!

The Texans have too many holes to start filling ones where they already have a designated player (i.e., Spenser).
Old 01-22-2007   #3
dgar3752
Rookie

I hope you understand that it is very difficult for a guy who is 340 pounds to come back from an injury like that and still be a franchise LT. IF he comes back at all he will be moved to the right side. I sure hope your not banking on Salaam as our LT next yr.
Old 01-22-2007   #4
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
The Texans have too many holes to start filling ones where they already have a designated player (i.e., Spenser).
Wow, back the hey train up there... I thought our OL was a hole, and a huge one at that. So you are saying we don't need any linemen now on the OL? I never knew that a team could have "too many" good OL's and quality depth to back them up with olike some 3rd round picks. That may have been what's wrong with the Texans today, they never used 2nd or 3rd rounders regularly to grab depth at the OL position... But that is just me...

Last edited by HomeBred_Texan; 01-22-2007 at 03:21 PM.
HomeBred_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
Wow the hey train up there... I thought our OL was a hole, and a huge one at that. You are saying we don't need any linemen now on the OL? I never knew that a team could have good OL and quality depth to back them up with some 3rd round picks. That may have been what's wrong with the Texans today, they never used 2nd or 3rd rounders regularly to grab depth at the OL position... But that is just me...
Agreed. And that will be the bench mark for this club that it has arrived. When they stop taking lineman becaues they have too. And start taking them to devlope like good teams do. That is when you'll know this club is a legitamte contender. So far the Texans have never been in a position to do this. But every year they should be looking at o-line and d-line prospects drafted in the day one rounds. You're wrong about the o=line though. If Spencer doesn't make it back by August, it's not a hole...it's a black hole. The '07 season is going to be sucked up into it if they don't find an OLT this off season.
Old 01-22-2007   #6
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I completely agree, yes we may not ever use top picks for top tier o linemen, but thats because there are no o linemen at our position who deserve them! Are you telling me you all really want to draft levi brown at the number 8 spot in the draft? Last season he would have been a late second rounder. Face it, this draft isn't deep with top tier talent. Lets draft one in the third round, there will be a lot of tackles still available then and we could pick up an athletic linemen that fits our system, instead of reaching like crazy.

I am all for fixing our o line, but fixing our o line doens't include reaching for a pick. Yes a few years back we needed an interior defensive linemen, Travis Johnson was such a far reach it wasn't even funny.
Old 01-22-2007   #7
dgar3752
Rookie

Your so right, Casserly was known for completely reaching for players and we are now just starting to climb out of his mistakes.

1.Travis Johnson-Absolutely horrible and could have been drafted much later on day one.
2.Jason Babin-Not a complete bum but sure is heck isnt worth what we gave up for him
3.Chester Pitts- Descent as well but not 2nd rd material.
4.Philip Buchanan- Didnt draft him but we still gave up way too much for him.

Whatever happens, I like the plan of action that MR. Smith seems to be installing. Another draft similar to last years and we will be well on our way to being a very classy, competitive team.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2007   #8
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgar3752 View Post

Okoye won't be there in the second round. There's talk of him being a top 10 pick. Being a 19 year old rookie with his size and potential, I can see why.

Ugoh will probably also move up the draft boards. I've already seen him challenging Levi Brown for the second best tackle on some boards.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your so right, Casserly was known for completely reaching for players and we are now just starting to climb out of his mistakes.

1.Travis Johnson-Absolutely horrible and could have been drafted much later on day one.
2.Jason Babin-Not a complete bum but sure is heck isnt worth what we gave up for him
3.Chester Pitts- Descent as well but not 2nd rd material.
4.Philip Buchanan- Didnt draft him but we still gave up way too much for him.

Whatever happens, I like the plan of action that MR. Smith seems to be installing. Another draft similar to last years and we will be well on our way to being a very classy, competitive team.
That's my feeling as well. I am coming to realize that he as well as mcnair know the texans and the players in the draft a lot better than i do, That they really are going to do what the think is best. We had a tremendous draft last year. I really believe we're going to have a lot more like that one. i trust this staff a lot more than the lasts too. I will follow them blindly...sort of...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #10
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Yeah I hate when people hate on our draft this past year, we got the two best defensive players in one draft, and one top 5 o linemen out of the draft, and the other one was at least top 10. Eric Winston was tempting to take in the second round, but we took demeco and waited, and landed winston as well, what a smart move. If we would have picked winston at that point, that would have been a reach. Casselry and Capers, they reached. Our first 2 drafts weren't horrible, but thats because it was easy to take BPA, because we needed the BPA because there wasn't really one hole filled, but now that we have grown, we started just drafting to our needs, and it didn't matter how far we had to reach.
Old 01-22-2007   #11
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Role Players
1.K.Hamlin/M.Lewis
I think Ken Hamlin has proven to be far more than a role player and would be a major upgrade over any safety currently on our roster.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Besides Thomas and Brown..the rest of the tackles on the board are going to slip into the 3rd rd. One or two might creep into the second but thats a big maybe. The texans, Broncos and Falcons are just about the only teams who grade the smaller more athletic T's higher bc of the system we use. I say we wait until the 3rd rd before we take a T. Here me out......next yr, Long ,Baker and Gaither will be coming out and whether we like it or not we will have a shot at one of them. If for some reason our 3rd T doesnt work out this coming year then we move him to RT and go Franchise LT next yr.

ex. 07 line. LT Tony Ugoh LG Pitts C Weary RG Winston RT Spencer. Everyone else is depth. A very young line with talent and time to gel together.

If for some reason That doesnt work then we go Franchise LT next year where Long ,Baker and Gaither are worthy of a 1st rd pick.

ex. 08 line. LT Baker LG Pitts C Weary RG Winston/Spencer RT Tony Ugoh.
Of coarse this is just an example but in doing so it allows us to concentrate on finishing what we started last year.

1st rd. L. Landry/ A. Peterson
4th rd. T.Hunt RB/J.Higgins wr/Jason Hill wr/D.Baker wr /R.McKnight wr
5th rd. BPA..Dline/Secondary/LB
6th rd. D.Sepulveda P

We will have the money to sign 1 stud and some role players this coming year.
1. LOLB-L.Briggs/A.Thomas/C.June/L.Fletcher=studs
2. CB-N.Clements/A.Samuel=studs
3. DL-D.Freeney/J.Allen/J.Smith=studs
4. OL-E.Steinbach=stud
We could use help in any of these positions

Role Players
1.K.Hamlin/M.Lewis
2.N.Diggs/B.Bailey
3.T.Sands/C.Redding/V.Holliday

Cuts-Payne/Wong/Gado
I understand your viewpoint but it should come down to who is available & how high they are on the Texans draft board. I've felt since the Texans announced Carrs extension last off season & confirmed with Kubiaks trust druing the past season, the Texans first order of buisness will be to upgrade Carr's weapons/protection so David/Texans can win more games.

The Texans need to invest in the best available protection for David Carr. you just don't find them if free agency either so forget that idea. if I'm right & Levi Brown grades out as a Top 10 pick the Texans would be wise to make him their franchise LT, hope that Spencer can recover & finally put together a young, talented offenisve line that can both drive block & provide pass protection

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the more this debate ranges on the more i think the safest choice for this franchise to take is levi brown...even if charles spencer is able to return with his knee there is not garentee that he'll make it through a season...with backs like antonio pittman (who i'm shocked no one is talking about), deshawn wynn (solid full-body back), and kenny irons available in later rounds we shouldn't get too focused on RB unless Adrian peterson is there

for those of ya'll who say what about the FS position i agree...reggie nelson or laron landry are also high on our needs...and they are both high on my want list as well...but what it comes down to is this...i have more confidence in cc brown as a tackler than i do salaam making it through another season as our LT...i also have even less confidence in the offensive tackles projected in rounds 2-4 being able to take the starting job and hold onto it

and finally what happened to eric winston?...if this guy was such a great pick for us like everyone keeps saying...then why hasn't his name been mentioned for the LT position or the RT position for that matter...why does his name only come up when we are talking about moving him to RG?
Old 01-22-2007   #14
dgar3752
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Are you telling me you all really want to draft levi brown at the number 8 spot in the draft? Last season he would have been a late second rounder. Face it, this draft isn't deep with top tier talent.
He is exactly right..Brown would have been a 2rd pick last year. Why in the world would we take him with the 8th spot in the first rd??????? Next year is the year of the franchise LT tackle. The only reason why he is even mentioned in the 1st rd is bc of the lack of depth at LT.

Where would you guys pick brown if this years draft included

1 Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Sam Baker, Jared Gaither??
Old 01-22-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Might be me. I liked what I saw out of Eric Winston at the end of last season. Did he make every block ? No. Did he maul some guys when he had the opportuntiy and angle ? Yes he did. I have no problem with Erick starting out as the RT prospect. Judging by his play in pass protection, JMHO but I don't think he's ready for OLT yet. Just me. They made a point at the draft last year saying he was their future right tackle.

Wasn't me sticking him inside at garud BTW. At 6'-6". Erick makes a very tall gaurd IMHO. Plus, why would you waist that quickness on the inside ?

And that is what scares me about '07. Ok yes it is a worst case scenario...but if Spencer isn't ready, at this point in time, your choices are Winston or the swing tackle. If they draft Brown or heck even one of the second teired guys, at least we're covered if the worst does happen. At least Levi Brown gives the club some flexiblity. Rathers, I'd rather have the run stuffing DT, Branch. I'd rather have Joe Thomas with in reach of a move up. But I could live with Brown. We'll see what he does at the Sr. Bowl and the combine. I think the OT is a more critical need than anything else. Got another franchise back(s) in the pipe line in '08. That's also true of the OT's. But you really want to go into '07 with the above choices. A leaky Spencer or a guy not ready for prime time ? And we've passed on these guys for four years running. And...two of the guys we passed on are going to go to Hawaii in Febuary.

So basically what we have is differing opinons on how critical the o-line is. Some believe that you let it go....again. And some believe it is still at critical mass. We'll see what the brain trust does.

Levi Brown looks like a Texan for sure. Well spoken , clean cut. Very nice young man. He has the build alright. He passes the eyeball test.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-23-2007 at 10:35 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is exactly right..Brown would have been a 2rd pick last year. Why in the world would we take him with the 8th spot in the first rd???????
most 1st rd. picks start 2nd rd./later & develop into NFL starters (min. three years removed from HS to be draft eligble) the true great ones can start immediately, impact & thats exactly what Levi Brown would bring to the Texans, I don't know just how much more y'all expect than that.

Quote:
Next year is the year of the franchise LT tackle. The only reason why he is even mentioned in the 1st rd is bc of the lack of depth at LT.

Where would you guys pick brown if this years draft included

1 Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Sam Baker, Jared Gaither??
next year has always been the Texans answear, don't you think? that they'll find some creative way to solve the issue, try a bunch of free agents or make a blockbuster trade to get a LT like Orlando Pace, something but it never materializes then we're left to watch & wonder season after season while Carr looks more damaged & confused than the last. well I've had it, time to fix this when we have the chance once and for all

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-22-2007   #17
dgar3752
Rookie

What Im tryin to say is that with this system that Smith and Kubiak are implementing; we are able to draft guys such as Spencer/Winston and have them start. If you feel that the texans should use a 1st rd pick on a LT (a marginal one at that) then arent you also saying that you dont believe in Kubiak or the ZB System??

This system in Known for two things: Making successful players (OL/RB) out of average players
Old 01-23-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
This system in Known for two things: Making successful players (OL/RB) out of average players
why stop there? with that logic include all positions & make successful players out of the average

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-23-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

so far during senior bowl week, Ugoh has already established himself as at least a first rounder. top 15 with a good game, seriously.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone ever think it may be a result of good scouting?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read