Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-22-2007   #1
reilli
Rookie

Default Parcells is retiring

Bill Parcells just announced his retirement from coaching.
reilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #2
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan
Default Re: Parcells is retiring

Just heard the same thing, Fat Tuna did not win a divison or a playoff game in little d but I guess he was better than 5-11, 5-11, 5-11, 6-10

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

will dallas' franchise enter a downward spiral?
Old 01-22-2007   #4
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
Thats what i'm thinking.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Breaking News: Parcells Out

MSNBC is reporting on the front page that Bill Parcells has retired as the Cowboys coach.

More details to come...

www.msnbc.com
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News: Parcells Out

already a thread about this.
Old 01-22-2007   #7
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Well, I never thought that Bill should have re-entered the coaching arena once he left. I guess he has finally seen that his glory days are behind him now and he needs to leave them in the past.
Back to suits (to cover up those man-boobies) and sports commentary.
Old 01-22-2007   #8
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 42676 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No. I am really sorry so see Parcells retire at this time, but the organization will continue to improve.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I really didn't think that Parcells would leave things like they are at the moment. His young QB is crushed after choking in the biggest moment of the biggest game he's played in his short career, and now Parcell's won't even be there to help him or the team to recover. There were signs that he might be leaning towards retirement with the recent departures of a few of his assistant coaches.

It will be interesting to see who Jerry Jones brings in to take over this team. It won't be an easy task that's for sure. There's quite a bit of talent there, but there are lots of questions marks. Who's the real Romo? Is he the player that we saw in his early starts? Or is he the player who fumbled quite a bit over his last few starts? Will he be able to shake off the stigma that's sure to follow him after choking on a national stage? If the new coach doesn't like what Romo brings to the table they could find themselves looking for a QB. What happens with TO? We've seen what he's done to other teams in his second year there. He tends to wear out his welcome rather quickly. Anyways farewell to a great coach & good luck.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #10
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think long as Jones keeps away from drafting, coaching affairs, personell decisions.....pretty everything except walking the sidelines....This team isn't in that bad of shape really. A good defensive core. Good receiver and running back corps. The line needs some help but not a whole lot. The biggest thing is having a coach that can reel in T.O. will become a pretty big deal. I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.
Old 01-22-2007   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

It might actually be better for the players that he finally retires. Every year, there's always the same "will he or won't he" drama. It's a distraction.

Are you really gonna listen to a guy that you think won't be around next year?
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.
yup. the man likes to get as much press coverage as possible for everythting.
Old 01-22-2007   #13
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

After watching the Bears defense get after it on Sunday (and it was the first time this season I watched da Bears), I'd have to give serious consideration to the Bears DC.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'm glad he didn't do this a year earlier or Sean Payton might have been their coach. I love it when things go bad for Baja Oklahoma.
Old 01-22-2007   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.
Is that because most of his coaching hires have been high profile?? Jimmy Johnson(never been an NFL head coach), Barry Switzer(never been an NFL head coach), Chan Gailey(never been an NFL head coach), Dave Campo(never been an NFL head coach), Parcells has been the only "high profile" coach JJ has hired, and if he does it again, it would be because of the bad experience learned from the 3 out of 4 bad "low profile" coaching hires he's made.
Old 01-22-2007   #16
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Is that because most of his coaching hires have been high profile?? Jimmy Johnson(never been an NFL head coach), Barry Switzer(never been an NFL head coach), Chan Gailey(never been an NFL head coach), Dave Campo(never been an NFL head coach), Parcells has been the only "high profile" coach JJ has hired, and if he does it again, it would be because of the bad experience learned from the 3 out of 4 bad "low profile" coaching hires he's made.
Respectfully Switzer and Jimmy Johnson won College titles with pro calliber college programs.

Dave Campo and Chan Gailey don't realistically count. That was Jones' mock attempt to be the real coach with two puppets at the helm. The drafting between those years was attrocious and need i say more then Quincy Carter?
Old 01-22-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Respectfully Switzer and Jimmy Johnson won College titles with pro calliber college programs.

Dave Campo and Chan Gailey don't realistically count. That was Jones' mock attempt to be the real coach with two puppets at the helm. The drafting between those years was attrocious and need i say more then Quincy Carter?
Even Parcells liked Q enough to start him ahead of Testeverde.... something he wouldn't do with Romo or Henson. Q was a talented QB IMHO, and if it weren't for the drug addiction, I think he'd have had a long career in the NFL. He may not have been an elite QB, but surely would flourish as well as guys like Kitna, Garcia, Flutie, etc....

If you consider Barry Switzer & JJ "high profile" in the same way that Bill Parcells was "high profile" then I guess you're right.... but I don't
Old 01-22-2007   #18
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Even Parcells liked Q enough to start him ahead of Testeverde.... something he wouldn't do with Romo or Henson. Q was a talented QB IMHO, and if it weren't for the drug addiction, I think he'd have had a long career in the NFL. He may not have been an elite QB, but surely would flourish as well as guys like Kitna, Garcia, Flutie, etc....

If you consider Barry Switzer & JJ "high profile" in the same way that Bill Parcells was "high profile" then I guess you're right.... but I don't
I wanted them to stay with Randal Cunningham. Who pound for pound was one of the more talented QBs i saw play in the NFL. I thought it was pretty good recognition of him in the later years to become more of a pocket passer.

Far as Testaverde goes...never have been a huge fan. I think Q had more atheticsm and could make more plays. I thought he was a huge reach in the second round considering if i remember he didn't play a lot in college at Georgia. Wasn't that the same draft that Brees was taken?

(btw everytime i see that sig line i crack up)
Old 01-22-2007   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I wanted them to stay with Randal Cunningham. Who pound for pound was one of the more talented QBs i saw play in the NFL. I thought it was pretty good recognition of him in the later years to become more of a pocket passer.
Agreed
Quote:
Far as Testaverde goes...never have been a huge fan. I think Q had more atheticsm and could make more plays. I thought he was a huge reach in the second round considering if i remember he didn't play a lot in college at Georgia. Wasn't that the same draft that Brees was taken?
I'm just saying.... the kid could play.... I can understand the Cowboy faithful not being too excited about Q being "the future" and all.... but they had so many holes, and so many old players, that all they needed to do was keep their head above water for a couple of years.... & Q would have been perfect for that.
Quote:
(btw everytime i see that sig line i crack up)
Yeah...... DB has a way of putting things........
Old 01-22-2007   #20
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
I think long as Jones keeps away from drafting, coaching affairs, personell decisions.....pretty everything except walking the sidelines....
So is there a pool on who gets a HC first - Oakland or Dallas? Agree with above though, at least Dallas has a good nucleus going. Oakland may... but if they do, it's all over the place.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read