Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2007   #1
macaronitoni
Rookie

Default In all honesty (no dreaming)...

Lets be realistic here. What new additions (the major ones anywho) do you see joining our Texans next season?
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #2
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In all honesty (no dreaming)...

I think the Texans top priority in FA should be a linebacker to play our SLB (Lance Briggs, CHI) and/or FS (Ken Hamlin, SEA or Deon Grant, JAK). I think we have ample room under the cap to realistically pursue at least on of these players, if not both. I don't believe we will be able to compete in a bidding war for either Nate Clements or Asante Samuel, although I would at least like us to look into acquiring Samuel. I just believe that these players will require to high a price to sign and that we would be better served by drafting a CB such as Houston, Ross, or Hughes in the 2nd.

I also think w should try to get Cory Redding (DE, DET) to come play closer to home. I don't think we could sign all of these players I mentioned, but one or two would greatly improve our defense.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #3
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

What are the chances of us getting Briggs? He doesn't want to plaly for Chicago anymore?
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Urlacher has publically come out and said that Briggs is the best guy he's ever played with. He is a pro bowler this year. I highly doubt Chicago lets him go, and even if they do, his price tag will be through the roof.

We just don't have the talent on the team to pursue top guys. In addition to money, all players (especially young pro bowl players) want a place where they will continue to fluorish.
Old 01-22-2007   #5
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Michael Lewis, the safety out of philadelphia. He definately wants out there due to him being benched by having one bad outing. He is a former pro bowler and calls houston home. This is a realistic signing due to there has already been reports about him wanting to come here.

I would love to bring in Asante Samuel, who already has a superbowl ring, to houston. He will be willing to leave the patriots for some more money. He makes a lot of big plays and I think he is the most talented corner out there (yes, including nate clements).

Nate Clements, claims houston home, but he wants to be the number one paid corner, he doens't deserve it, and there are teams who has better cap space so I don't see him coming.

If we cannot sign another corner, we can pick one in the draft in the later rounds who can compete for a starting spot, competition always brings out the best in everyone.

As for outside linebacker I think bringing in a free agent isnt necessary. I think the deepest position in the draft is outside linebacker. In the second round I would be stoked if we drafted Rufus Alexander out of oklahoma.

Terdell Sands out of Oakland would be really nice too, add some depth to interior defensive line and boy would it add some size. If we could plug him in there, you will see an even better season out of demeco ryans, and our other linebackers. A big, talented defensive line is a linebackers best friend.

So all and all, this is who I would like to see added:
Terdell Sands
Asante Samuel
Michael Lewis

Would fill in a lot role player holes that we have lacked. We don't need huge stars...we have 3 of them on defense. Mario, Demeco, and Dunta. Trust me they are players, once they have some good role players around them. We will have 3+ pro bowlers.
Old 01-22-2007   #6
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
As for outside linebacker I think bringing in a free agent isnt necessary. I think the deepest position in the draft is outside linebacker. In the second round I would be stoked if we drafted Rufus Alexander out of oklahoma.
The draft does seem to be fairly deep at OLB, but the problem is that most of the top talent at OLB, including Alexander, project to the weakside in the NFL. Our main short-coming in our linebacker corps is on the strong side where Orr simply did not get the job done last year, only averaging 2 tackles per game and constantly being blocked out of the play. I'm not Greenwood's biggest fan, but he was more consistent this year and came in 2nd on the team in tackles, so the WLB is less a concern than the SLB.

If you consider that the FA market is fairly deep at the LB position, and Adalius Thomas will garnering the most attention, if Briggs leaves Chicago, I think we might have a chance to land him. But if not, someone like Diggs from the Panthers should be considered.
Old 01-22-2007   #7
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
The draft does seem to be fairly deep at OLB, but the problem is that most of the top talent at OLB, including Alexander, project to the weakside in the NFL. Our main short-coming in our linebacker corps is on the strong side where Orr simply did not get the job done last year, only averaging 2 tackles per game and constantly being blocked out of the play. I'm not Greenwood's biggest fan, but he was more consistent this year and came in 2nd on the team in tackles, so the WLB is less a concern than the SLB.

If you consider that the FA market is fairly deep at the LB position, and Adalius Thomas will garnering the most attention, if Briggs leaves Chicago, I think we might have a chance to land him. But if not, someone like Diggs from the Panthers should be considered.
I totally agree... there appears to be better depth in the secondary positions that at strong side linebacker. So I would be surprised if one of the top two draft picks is in the secondary and we pursue a veteran dt or slb in the free agent market.
Old 01-22-2007   #8
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

Nate Clements is number 1 on my list because he is a very very solid corner. Not that it really matters that much but what was his relationship with eric moulds. moulds could probably talk to him and help get him here.
Old 01-22-2007   #9
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post

Good point, but I don't think we have the money to land Briggs or Thomas.... so Diggs might be our smartest option.

Also, the difference between strong side linebacker and weakside line backer isn't that big. So to convert one wouldn't be that much trouble. With my playing experience, I never saw that much of a difference between Free Safety and Strong Safety, and I saw no difference between weak side and strong side. (I played free safety). When we broke down the opponents and designed our scheme, we would always use our strenghts and find their weaknesses. If a player is a good blitzer, we blitz him, if he can cover really well, we drop him back in coverage. Its not like (which is what is assumed by a lot of fans) that their is a strong side line backer, who is bigger and stronger so he can play against the run, and then the weak side, who is faster and can always drop back in coverage. Both sides have to come up on the run, both have to cover the pass, both get the oppurtunity to blitz. When calling a blitz, you call it to their weaknesses I would say 90% of the time. For example, if a certain team lacks protection on the backside of the quarterback, then our weakside linebacker will be getting a lot of blitz calls that week.

So my point is, I think picking up the best outside linebacker available will help us, because he can easily be converted to one side or the other.
Old 01-22-2007   #10
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Quote:
...the difference between strong side linebacker and weakside line backer isn't that big. So to convert one wouldn't be that much trouble.

So my point is, I think picking up the best outside linebacker available will help us, because he can easily be converted to one side or the other.
I'm not so sure that converting a LB from strong to weak would be such an easy task. I agree that some LBs are talented enough and possess the appropriate skills to play either strong or weak, but to say you can draft a LB a put him in either position would be a bit of an over-statement. The SLB is over the TE and will be subject to more blockers on running plays and responsible (usually) for the TE on pass plays, while the WLB is allowed to be more free to roam with no extra blockers to his side. For a LB, like Alexander, who is known to have trouble shedding blockers and is a bit under-sized as well, putting him on the strong side would not be playing to his strengths.
Old 01-22-2007   #11
NATHANHALE
Veteran

With the non-stop griping about our OL during the season, I'm really surprised there are no posts yet about players to upgrade it!!
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #12
cbnjwill
Veteran

this is an easy question. the texan need a new starting QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yea briggs and redding would be great additions if we still have carr at qb all the other moves we would make would be pointless. start with a qb change and then go from there. hell if thats the only move we make we a still better than last yr. theres not alot out there as far as FA qb's so lets go with sage and draft a qb in the firsy three rounds
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #13
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaronitoni View Post
Lets be realistic here. What new additions (the major ones anywho) do you see joining our Texans next season?
Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Leonard Davis
Andre Gurode- Dallas Cowboys
Corey Redding-Lions
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Leonard Davis
Corey Redding-Lions
What's the cap hit there Hulk ? Just saying there big guy.
Old 01-22-2007   #15
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Leonard Davis
Corey Redding-Lions

give me Steinbach and Micheal Lewis and i'll call it a good FA for us.

no way in **** do i want that lumbering "anchor" of the worst Oline in the League on our already weak line. davis is a joke.

one of the 2 CBs would be nice, but i dont see us getting one of them. Thinking of Briggs and Demeco on the same team gets my mouth watering but i dont see that happening either. we have cap space, but not enough to bring in those guys.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #16
humbleone
Veteran

Samuel is #1 on my wish list and may be more doable than some think because NE will probably not put out the money to keep him. It will be tough because the game has evolved to where there is almost no position on the field (either side of the ball) more important than a true cover corner so the price will be high. Whoever gets him, will be glad. And, there is no draft prospect remotely in his league IMO. If we get him, multiple positions on the D will improve...(1) he is an upgrade over Faggins (2) DRob will have to elevate his game or get thrown at constantly (3) Our DL rush will improve because he and Drob will be able to play up more vs. give a bunch of cushion causing more disruption of timing patterns which will buy our rush a bit more time to get to the QB.

Briggs would be great but probably falls into violating your "no dreaming" rule.

Hamlin, FS, Seattle is the one that may have the best doable/will make the team better ratio at this point.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaronitoni View Post
:crickets chirping:
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I was listening to 610 this morning & they were saying that Chicago will probably franchise Briggs. Any news on this anyone?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #19
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleone View Post
Hamlin, FS, Seattle is the one that may have the best doable/will make the team better ratio at this point.
Agree with this.
Old 01-22-2007   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we cannot sign another corner, we can pick one in the draft in the later rounds who can compete for a starting spot, competition always brings out the best in everyone.
IMO no we can't. If we want to bring a corner here to compete for a job he can't come out of the later rounds. I'm sorry but no. If we want to draft a corner that will make a difference..we will have to draft him in the first day, if not the first half of the first day.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read