Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-20-2007   #1
Toro
Veteran

Default WRs

Scott Wright's NFLDraftCountdown Mock (which has the Texans taking AP at 8), has the team taking Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio State with their second round selection.

This got me to thinking-- how eager would you be to see the Texans take a WR in this draft?

Just going off this mock alone, Gonzalez is one of those sleeper type who will make some NFL team very happy. Some scouts think that Gonzalez, not Ted Ginn Jr., will be the Ohio State WR who makes waves on the NFL level, and where I think Ginn's explosiveness will make him valuable, I think Gonzalez is the better pure WR, or will be on the pro level.

Other WR I like are Johnnie Lee Higgins of UTEP, Jason Hill of Washington State, Aundrae Allison of East Carolina and Rhema McKnight of Notre Dame.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #2
sgntxnfn
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to sgntxnfn Send a message via MSN to sgntxnfn Send a message via Yahoo to sgntxnfn
Default Re: WRs

I really like Craig Davis out of LSU if we were to look at a WR with the second pick (which i don't think is a bad idea at all) Davis is a talented all-around wide-out with good play-making ability and filled a similar capacity as second receiver at LSU.
Old 01-20-2007   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I would look at Paul Williams in the third round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #4
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I would look at Paul Williams in the third round.

Yes Sir, this guy can play.
http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-...ms_paul00.html
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't want a WR with the players still available in this mock draft.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I wouldn't want a WR with the players still available in this mock draft.
True

But I think this is a deep draft for WR's. IMO Paul williams would go early second round in a regular draft.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 01-20-2007   #7
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

If Calvin Johnson is not available I don't want a WR day1.
Old 01-20-2007   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If Calvin Johnson is not available I don't want a WR day1.
I dont either maybe PW can somehow fall to the fourth round. I would still probably go defense or oline.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2007   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
This got me to thinking-- how eager would you be to see the Texans take a WR in this draft?
I'm hopeful the Texans do draft a WR. This draft is very deep at the position, and the Texans stil need to find a deep threat. I don't see Mathis ever becoming that guy.

A couple of guys in today's East-West Shrine game could fit the bill and be available in the mid rounds. Steve Breaston from Michigan and small school sleeper Jacoby Jones from Lane College have had good practices this week. Both can help in the return game and eventually work their way into 3 wideout sets.
Old 01-20-2007   #10
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I must say I'd be disappointed with a WR in the 2nd round ONLY if we drafted a offensive player in the 1st.

I think with the growing up that our defense did last year we need to continue to add to its talent base. I saw Meriweather the safety from the U still there. I know he has had "character" issues but there is no denying his talent.

I could wait on a offensive player honestly until the 3rd all together. I'm still high on the CB's from Pittsburgh and Michigan.
Old 01-20-2007   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
I must say I'd be disappointed with a WR in the 2nd round ONLY if we drafted a offensive player in the 1st.

I think with the growing up that our defense did last year we need to continue to add to its talent base. I saw Meriweather the safety from the U still there. I know he has had "character" issues but there is no denying his talent.

I could wait on a offensive player honestly until the 3rd all together. I'm still high on the CB's from Pittsburgh and Michigan.

Exactly. If we draft Peterson or Lynch in the first, I want to see us go defense in the second (although I would not mind a LT or RT)
Old 01-20-2007   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I would prefer looking at defense in the 2nd, especially if we get Peterson in the 1st. For the most part defensive positions are much deeper in this draft than offensive players so we can possible find a 1st round graded defensive player with our 2nd round pick (Brandon Meriweather, Chris Houston, etc.) and a 2nd round graded guy with our 3rd round pick etc, and I think we have more big holes on defense than on offense. However, if Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem are available at #39 I'd at least consider taking them, outside of those two I don't think I'd even consider any other WRs there (unless of course Sidney Rice or Dwayne Jarrett somehow fell which won't happen). I'd consider Anthony Gonzalez if he's around in the 3rd, or other guys like Chansi Stuckey, Paul Williams, Johnnie Lee Higgins, or other speedy WRs somewhere in the 2nd day.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #13
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

Anthoney Gonzales wouldn't be the right type of WR we need to draft. Gonzales is a possesion receiver who can find open holes in the zone. The only reason he got so many balls thrown his way this season is because he had Ted Ginn Jr. playing on the opposite side of him. He would be a great slot receiver.

I would love for us to pick Greg Davis from LSU. He is not the best WR coming out from LSU, that title belongs to Bowe who will be a late 1st round pick. Greg Davis does not have the frame of Bowe, but is faster and a better route runner. I think he will be a late second to early third pick and would be a great player to develop and play along side of Andre Johnson.
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 95054 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see the team pickup a deep threat in the late rounds..... don't trust Mathis to be healthy or consistent enough to be that guy.
Old 01-20-2007   #15
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Gonzalez is very underrated. He runs a 4.3 and catches everything. He is going to be very good.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

BS he runs a 4.3
Old 01-20-2007   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
BS he runs a 4.3
From what I know he does run a 4.3

Quote:
Old 01-21-2007   #18
sgntxnfn
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to sgntxnfn Send a message via MSN to sgntxnfn Send a message via Yahoo to sgntxnfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Aggie222 View Post
Anthoney Gonzales wouldn't be the right type of WR we need to draft. Gonzales is a possesion receiver who can find open holes in the zone. The only reason he got so many balls thrown his way this season is because he had Ted Ginn Jr. playing on the opposite side of him. He would be a great slot receiver.

I would love for us to pick Greg Davis from LSU. He is not the best WR coming out from LSU, that title belongs to Bowe who will be a late 1st round pick. Greg Davis does not have the frame of Bowe, but is faster and a better route runner. I think he will be a late second to early third pick and would be a great player to develop and play along side of Andre Johnson.
Not to sound snotty but its Craig Davis, not Greg Davis. I mentioned him earlier in the thread.
Old 01-21-2007   #19
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

Well........at least it sounds the same right?
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i maybe be biased but you can get one of the texas tech recievers in rounds 4-6 and they have better hands than most of the other recievers in rounds 2-4

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read