Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-19-2007   #1
Eyeguy
Veteran

Default Draft day trade with Pats

If J. Thomas or A. Peterson are already gone at #8, I would like to see us make a trade with New England.
They have the 24th and 28th picks. Our 8th=1500 pts and their 24th=800pts and 28th=700pts combined equal 1500pts. This would be an equal trade by trade chart values. (NE #28 may change to due to playoff outcome)
New England will be in the market for a new stud safety and the top safety Laron Landy LSU should still be on the board at #8. With #24 and #28 the Texans could draft an OT and S or OLB. Here are a few names that MIGHT drop to 24 and or 28.

OT
J. Staley, C. Mich. *
T. Ugho, Ark
R. Harris, N.D.
A. Spears, Tenn.

S
M. Griffin, Tex.
B. Meriweather, Mia.
E. Weddle, Utah *

OLB
P. Posluszny, Penn St. *
L. Thomas, Fla. St.
R. Alexander, Okla.

* are my choices if possible

I know that some of these players will be taken by the time #24 comes around, however if Thomas and Peterson are not there at #8 can you say that any 1 player on the board would be better for the Texans than 2 of the above mentioned? I used T,S and LB because I think we will get a CB and DT in free agency.

I think the only players the Texans should consider at #8 are Thomas and Peterson and if taken then look to trade, this is one option.
Old 01-19-2007   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Re: Draft day trade with Pats

New England won't make the trade. They are getting older and have lost several key players, having two picks at the end of the first round allows them to reload at two positions without breaking the bank.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #3
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
New England won't make the trade. They are getting older and have lost several key players, having two picks at the end of the first round allows them to reload at two positions without breaking the bank.
We are talking about the same team that is playing for the AFC Championship this weekend?
Old 01-19-2007   #4
Trenches
Veteran

I agree. there is NO WAY the Pats make this trade. they have had great success picking at the bottom of round 1 (and beyond for that matter). why would they want to lose a pick, move up and increase the gamble? they will get two solid players that, depending on position, will contribute in the near future.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
We are talking about the same team that is playing for the AFC Championship this weekend?
Yep, V Man is right, their LBs are getting old, Samuels is gone via FA, Harrison is hurt and maybe done. If you can get 2 players for same price as 1 player why trade up for 1 player.

Texans would do better to trade back to #16 and pick up another 2nd RD pick.
Old 01-19-2007   #6
Eyeguy
Veteran

[Texans would do better to trade back to #16 and pick up another 2nd RD pick.[/quote]

GB #16=1000 pts + GB #47=430 pts total 1430

Hou #8= 1500

to make the trade even GB would need to throw in their 4th round #112=70 pts, I'm not sure GB would want to give up that much. If we get that deal take it. I guess it all depends on who is on the board at #8
Old 01-19-2007   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Yep, V Man is right, their LBs are getting old, Samuels is gone via FA, Harrison is hurt and maybe done. If you can get 2 players for same price as 1 player why trade up for 1 player.

Texans would do better to trade back to #16 and pick up another 2nd RD pick.
I would not trade down more than three spots. still pick up extra pick & which ever FS (Nelson/Landry) is left

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2007   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
[Texans would do better to trade back to #16 and pick up another 2nd RD pick

GB #16=1000 pts + GB #47=430 pts total 1430

Hou #8= 1500

to make the trade even GB would need to throw in their 4th round #112=70 pts, I'm not sure GB would want to give up that much. If we get that deal take it. I guess it all depends on who is on the board at #8
Abracadbra, check your chart again and see if #8 is = 1400?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687
Old 01-19-2007   #9
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

That would be awesome...don't think it will happen, any other team might do it...but that's not the Patriots personality. They would be the team trading down for more picks.
Old 03-19-2007   #10
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
With all the activity NE has had in FA I think they may be more receptive to a trade. They could target L. Landry at Safety. I took 3 mock drafts Kiper, East Coast Sports and Draft Connection to see who would be avalible at #24 and # 28 if NE traded Texans for #8. I would make the trade unless AP was there at #8

Kiper
#8 L. Hall CB
#24-7 P. Willis LB, A. Ross CB
#28-32 R. Nelson FS, D. Bowe WR, J. Staley OT

East Coast Sports
#8 L. Landry S
#24-7 A. Ross DB
#28-32 D.Bowe WR, J. Stalley OT, J. Harrell DT

Draft Connection
#8 Okoye DT
#24-7 M. Griffin S,
#28-32 R. Meachem WR

These are the players I like at these spots. I think we could get a WR,FS,and DT with the#24, #28 and #39 picks who could contribute this year. I would do it even if we need to throw in a 7th round pick next year for good measure.

as per ECS Value Chart
#8=1500pts #24=800+#28=700 = 1500pts

Last edited by Eyeguy; 03-19-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #11
real

Just doesn't seem like New Englands style...

Especially since there's no gaurantee Landry, Peterson, or Thomas will be there...

But hey...who knows...
Old 03-19-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This trade is out of the question. New England will get two really good players with thei late first rounders. It would be a bad move for them to trade those away imo.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #13
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
This trade is out of the question. New England will get two really good players with thei late first rounders. It would be a bad move for them to trade those away imo.
It would seem that way, however NE has never been a big player in FA untill now. They keep changing the rules and redesigning themselfs. Maybe that's why they stay on top.
Old 03-19-2007   #14
real

Late first early second there are going to be some really good players...They could possibly get a Meachem, and Poslunszny or Chris Houston and Reggie Nelson....

I can't see them trading up really...
Old 03-19-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Late first early second there are going to be some really good players...They could possibly get a Meachem, and Poslunszny or Chris Houston and Reggie Nelson....

I can't see them trading up really...
They'd be smart to take a real good CB if available with Asanti only having one year left with them.
Old 03-20-2007   #16
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
They'd be smart to take a real good CB if available with Asanti only having one year left with them.
This was my thought too. That or How much does Harrison have left? Griffin might fit in nicely there. Do they shore up the LB position or take Olsen with Graham leaving perhaps?

I think they made the big FA moves this offseason because :

1. In one year they felt the Jets nipping at their heels. Mangini did a lot with a team i thought was pretty bad. Add thomas Jones to the team and another smart draft. This could prove an interesting chess match the next few years. The master vs student.

2. Miami will be better next year too i believe. I just don't think for the most part it's a good idea for college coaches to jump to the NFL. I like Cam Cameron too.

3. Some of the guns on that defense are getting old. Adalius also fit the bill nicely.

4. Despite a lacksluster receiving corps they were still up in the game vs the colts. I think they more then addressed this.

5. They really didn't break the bank signing these guys with the exception of Welker. Thomas prolly could've commanded more in FA but the allure of always being in the hunt in NE is a pull. Stallworth's deal could be for as little as one year.

6. They fleeced Seattle in the Branch deal. I seriously thought no one was that dumb to pull the trigger on that deal. Think they got an insider tip from Casserly on his move for Buchannon?
Old 03-20-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
This was my thought too. That or How much does Harrison have left? Griffin might fit in nicely there. Do they shore up the LB position or take Olsen with Graham leaving perhaps?

I think they made the big FA moves this offseason because :

1. In one year they felt the Jets nipping at their heels. Mangini did a lot with a team i thought was pretty bad. Add thomas Jones to the team and another smart draft. This could prove an interesting chess match the next few years. The master vs student.

2. Miami will be better next year too i believe. I just don't think for the most part it's a good idea for college coaches to jump to the NFL. I like Cam Cameron too.

3. Some of the guns on that defense are getting old. Adalius also fit the bill nicely.

4. Despite a lacksluster receiving corps they were still up in the game vs the colts. I think they more then addressed this.

5. They really didn't break the bank signing these guys with the exception of Welker. Thomas prolly could've commanded more in FA but the allure of always being in the hunt in NE is a pull. Stallworth's deal could be for as little as one year.

6. They fleeced Seattle in the Branch deal. I seriously thought no one was that dumb to pull the trigger on that deal. Think they got an insider tip from Casserly on his move for Buchannon?
I was definitely going to give you rep for this great analysis but apparently i have to spread it around... LOL somebody help PE out....great post. NE has a lot of options they can go in and it's a great time for them to have two 1st round picks. WR/CB/S/LB/TE...etc like you said.
Old 03-20-2007   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ironic since cameron was a terrible college coach.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #19
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
ouch. Well it was at least a parting shot at Saban for me.
Old 03-20-2007   #20
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
I thought that good college coaches were bad NFL coaches, not the other way around!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read