Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2007   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RICK SMITH - Your up.

Is anyone else here eager to see how he performs this off season? Ok, stupid question. You do have to give the guy credit simply for what he accomplished during the season filling our never ending list of injury holes. He wasnt perfect... but overall, a job well done.

Looking back at what Casserly did to our franchise as a whole....simply getting rid of him alone is an improvement imo. I honestly think most of us here could have done a better job than him. He was a great salesman, and I bought it. I have though, been confused with whom was more responsible for our last draft. Take out the bush and VY equation please... and it was an outstanding one. I have to default it to Kubiaks presence.

Back to Smith. Its a crucial offseason for us. He MUST come thru for this franchise. Again, due to his hard work that paid off this reg season, I have GREAT TRUST in him heading into the offseason.

Now if I were Rick Smith. I think signing a top FA would set the tone for us this offseason. We have to eliminate as many holes as possible via starters BEFORE the draft. That said, of course there are many factors involved in landing a player...but a starting CB would be huge. I would then have no problem drafting a DE early in the draft. Pair two solid CBs, take the heat off a HEALTHY mario, anchored by pro bowler and possible defensive player of the year Demeco Ryans. THE HOUSE OF PAIN??? A tough tough D, with an offensive system past its rookie year. Thats a great situation with an offensive minded coach. I would use the rest of the picks on O, create depth and competition. Of course, many other factors... but that sounds like a decent blue print.

Bottom line... thing are going to interesting. I think we NOW have the GM/Coach we need to take us to the next level. Kubiak is another thread... but he is our man. How bad do the names Dom and Charlie sound about now??? Rick Smith... Your up.

Last edited by Tailgate; 01-18-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #2
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Default Re: RICK SMITH - Your up.

I think we NOW have the GM/Coach we need to take us to the next level.

Your next level is from "laughing stock" of the NFL to "joke of a team"...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Excited.... yes I am.

I think we did great last off season and if we can keep up that level of operations we will build a great franchise.

I must admit this year I am comfortable with what is going to happen, there is a level of trust that was absent in the Capers/Casserly era.
Old 01-18-2007   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I wish it was March now...I love the free agency period. I'm excited to see who we can get. And anyone we get (high profile or low profile), I'd watch out for, because after everyone Rick Smith's gotten so far has turned out so go, I'm going to be thinking that every signing is a great one.
Old 01-19-2007   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61663 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they don't go early and over pay. The teams who seem to do the best are ones that are patient and get good value for their dollar.

Last edited by Texian; 01-19-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I think we need a FS more then anything on defense, followed by a linebacker and possibly a DLineman, depending on how Dalton, Maddox, TJ, Weaver and Babin play out. But the question remains...if AP is there at 8, do we pull the trigger?
Old 01-19-2007   #7
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
I think we need a FS more then anything on defense, followed by a linebacker and possibly a DLineman, depending on how Dalton, Maddox, TJ, Weaver and Babin play out. But the question remains...if AP is there at 8, do we pull the trigger?
I think so...unless someone truly unexpected falls that they have rated higher. Once you get out of the top 8 prospects, it seems like value drops considerably. The real variable is whether Kubiak will take a RB that high.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2007   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
I'd pull the trigger on that. I agree that we need a solid FS in the secondary, but guys like AP don't come around alot. Just my opinion, but AP reminds me of Terrell Davis in a way, but taller.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #9
Toro
Veteran

If Peterson does fall, Houston WILL and SHOULD take him. As mentioned, HB like Adrian Peterson don't come around often, and I think he'd be not only the perfect HB for this offense but he'd also be the defined face of the franchise.

Looking at the depth of the FS position in both Free Agency and in the draft, I have full confidence that Smith will fill this hole one way or the other. However, in the meantime I'm eagerly anticipating the draft and hoping that Peterson's the man.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #10
wolfscar
Veteran

We need to come up big this year in both Free Agency and the Draft, and I think we'll have a pretty good idea about where Rick Smith and Co are heading as a whole come April. We have some major holes to fill (CB, FS, OL, OLB, DT) but if they're careful, ambitious and a little creative then I think we can realistically fill all of them. I'm hoping we take care of CB and at least one OL in FA. And this draft is pretty strong in all the other spots.

And if we do draft a RB, I suspect it will be late - someone who's slipped under the radar or a Mike Bell type magic acquisition. I'll be surprised if we take AP. I like him a lot, but we have bigger problems and his hands aren't that great. I wouldn't be too upset though - he is pretty special.
Old 01-19-2007   #11
leachmtb
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
If Peterson does fall, Houston WILL and SHOULD take him. As mentioned, HB like Adrian Peterson don't come around often, and I think he'd be not only the perfect HB for this offense but he'd also be the defined face of the franchise.

Looking at the depth of the FS position in both Free Agency and in the draft, I have full confidence that Smith will fill this hole one way or the other. However, in the meantime I'm eagerly anticipating the draft and hoping that Peterson's the man.
I think that we often project what we want to happen rather than what should happen. Yeah, Adrian Peterson is a great player. So, if he ends up falling to #8, the value of our 8th pick is greatly increased. More than likely there will be many people contacting us to see about a trade adn thus, the competition will help us get a very good trade down. At this point, more picks in the first and second would be ideal than one seeming superstar. Especially since next years running back class is supposed to be better. I like Adrian Peterson as much as the next guy, and I sincerely hope that he falls to us. Mainly because it gives us a great situation to either draft him or IMO trade down and npick up some really good extra picks.
leachmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #12
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leachmtb View Post
I think that we often project what we want to happen rather than what should happen. Yeah, Adrian Peterson is a great player. So, if he ends up falling to #8, the value of our 8th pick is greatly increased. More than likely there will be many people contacting us to see about a trade adn thus, the competition will help us get a very good trade down. At this point, more picks in the first and second would be ideal than one seeming superstar. Especially since next years running back class is supposed to be better. I like Adrian Peterson as much as the next guy, and I sincerely hope that he falls to us. Mainly because it gives us a great situation to either draft him or IMO trade down and npick up some really good extra picks.
If we go out and get Turner from San Diego, that eighth pick is that much easier to move and stockpile picks. Then the RB position is not an issue. We need a difference maker on our offense next year.
Old 01-19-2007   #13
old football fan
Veteran

I think if Peterson is not there at #8 we need to trade down and acquire some extra picks because we have alot of holes to fill and need depth at many positions. Rick Smith has done a great job this past season getting replacements for injured players but I don't expect him to hit a home run everytime he's at the plate.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #14
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post
If we go out and get Turner from San Diego, that eighth pick is that much easier to move and stockpile picks. Then the RB position is not an issue. We need a difference maker on our offense next year.
If we go out and get Turner then the #8 pick is VERY easy because we wont have it!

They will put either a 1st or 1st&3rd round tender on him. That means those are the draft picks you give up to sign him. Makes no sense for a team picking high in the draft.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #15
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line: I trust Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak...which is something I couldn't say for the previous regime.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #16
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
Bottom line: I trust Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak...which is something I couldn't say for the previous regime.
I agree. Put it this way, if we improve for next season as much as we did this past offseason. We will have 12 wins.

But yes this offseason is crucial, do we keep improving, or do we have one more setback and will it make us start from scratch...again...something we should have only done once.
Old 01-19-2007   #17
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I agree. Put it this way, if we improve for next season as much as we did this past offseason. We will have 12 wins.
Wow. I think that is a little optimistic. I would believe in us chasing 7-9 or 8-8 if we have another good offseason.
Old 01-19-2007   #18
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

We were chasing 7-9 or 8-8 THIS year. We didn't catch it, but there were at least two VERY winnable games that we left on the table this year. And the defense was just attrocious the first three games. I don't think we'll win 12 games next year, but I don't think it's impossible.
Old 01-19-2007   #19
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leachmtb View Post

perfectly said. i agree with it all.
Old 01-19-2007   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He seemed to find solid players in the thin FA field during the season. I can't wait to see if he can do the same thing with "real" talent during the offseason and draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read