Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2007   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default Why are we talking about this?

The Texans have very few positions that are partitally or fully filled. One of the positions we do have need at, but not a great need at is RB. With Dayne, as the starter, DW coming back supposely, Chris Taylor, Wali Lundy, even Gado, we are stocked with RB's.

We have greater at SS, and FS. Both these positions we have decent people at, but would do good for a upgrade.

We have much greater need DL, other DE, other CB, QB, and Oline.

So tell me why are people here even thinking about AP?

Lets just talk about the chance this would happen?

First, AP would have to get by the third pick in Cleveland. Which likely wont happen. Even if he did, then he would have to drop to eight.... eight folks.

Then, Kub would have to go against his Denver trait in not drafting a RB in the first round. something he has said in the past. Some will say, well, he was going to draft Reggie Bush. Yeah, but he was supposely to be a once in a decade player too (Not opening the box, just trying to see my view here).

Two, why would Kub spend that high of a draft pick drafting into a position that he already has decent depth in, when he has soo many other positions of major need? Doesnt make sense.

Alot of you are setting your selves up to be disappointed again.. ie Derrick Johnson, Sean Taylor, etc.

The chance that Peterson falls to us.. and they take him isnt likely. Please.. let us think about this realistically. It is extremely unlikely.
Old 01-17-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why are we talking about this?

yeah, we are stocked at backs....if you like a mediocre team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a big topic because we need playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. We can obviously see it and Coach Kubiak said as much a few weeks ago.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If AP is there you take him. He is an impact player at a skill position where we have never had an impact guy. I was a Davis fan, but he is not an impact type guy where he could carry a team for game, let alone a half.

From a tenure standpoint we should expect that our defense will be incrementally better with a solid foundation on the DL. If Payne and TJ come back to form and Mario heals we have a number of guys who filled in at DT that did an admirable job and will only bolster our depth. The LB corps does need to be upgraded at Orr's position. Or do we move Demeco from Mike to outside and bring in a veteran MLB? Secondary is where we need the help and I expect we will sign a player in FA and draft someone on the first day. Basically I believe that the defense will be addressed appropriately, but only where there is immediate need as the Defense is on its way and there is no need to draft a defensive BPA unless there is a CB or FS next to the prospects name and AP is off the board.

I believe this is the first draft where we have the opportunity to do the right thing no matter who falls to us or we reach a bit - AP, Landry, Hall, Nelson, Revis - and trust that this draft can yield 3 more starters. I have dreaded the leading up to the draft every year, but this year I am excited as need and BPA will be available for us at the 8th position.
Old 01-17-2007   #5
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I'm with you Dime. I see DL or DB at the 8 spot.

Frankly, if AP falls to #8 - then the reason he fell is the exact reason the Texans should pass on him, too. They can't afford to gamble on an injury-prone RB.

I also can't see Kubiak being interested in a first-round running back.
Old 01-17-2007   #6
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

It all comes down to consistency. We can't rely on the 4 RBs we had and alot of that was evident last season. Which would you rather have: 4 decent backs where you have to spend afew series just trying to figure out who the hot back is that game or a stud RB who you don't have to worry about? Almost all of our RBs had afew good games, but nobody was reliable enough to where it was on a constant enough basis. I'm big on Landry, but I agree with Kaiser, if AP is there its hard to pass on him.
Old 01-17-2007   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Frankly, if AP falls to #8 - then the reason he fell is the exact reason the Texans should pass on him, too. They can't afford to gamble on an injury-prone RB.
So you are presupposing that the sole reason he would "fall" to 8 is because of the notion that he is injury prone? Don't think so. Most of the teams in front of us have a quality or recently signed RB - Jordan, Jones (inj), Cleve, Cadillac, James, Portis, Taylor. Moreover, AP is not a multi dimensional guy where you can find plays for him with an already established back.
Old 01-17-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think broken collarbones are reoccurring injuries. He runs like Marcus Allen...I'd rather us take a CB, but I wouldn't mind Peterson at all. I wasn't big on this before but if we don't sign a FA back we sure as heck need some talent back there.

Old 01-17-2007   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I'm with you Dime. I see DL or DB at the 8 spot.

I also can't see Kubiak being interested in a first-round running back.
I would like to get him at 8 but I just don't see it happening. Teams are always looking for running backs and he is really an elite prospect.

His injuries don't seem to be nagging small ones...he seems to freakishly get injured...which leads me to believe that it may not be because he is injury prone.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #10
htownfoozball
Veteran

the reason why we talk like this is because AP is a superior player than the options available at those other positions like FS and SS and DL. just because we have players at RB doesnt mean that RB isnt a need.

i could go on and on why AP is the correct choice over the other guys, but im hungry.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

AP is "injury prone" because he runs hard. If we draft him, I think he'll be an immediate fan favorite in Houston, despite his OU background.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, we are stocked at backs....if you like a mediocre team.
mediocre is a step above where we were.
Old 01-17-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
mediocre is a step above where we were.
In my experience, the people who strive to be mediocre don't often make it there.

Old 01-17-2007   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Dayne: Good, but not a feature back
Davis/Williams: most likely cut or retired
Gado: not re-signed
Lundy: probably cut
Taylor: good depth, but not enough game film on him to give him the reigns so soon.

So really we have two backs who are quality depth but no feature backs on this team. If we don't sign a big time running back in free agency then we will draft either Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
In my experience, the people who strive to be mediocre don't often make it there.
First Texan MB meeting after launch -
Casserly: [to Vinny] Are you just going to let those two MB members talk about our team like this?
Vinny: Hell yes I am! They are winners! That is how winners talk!
Khari: If we wanted two whimps, we would have named them Dr. Quinn and Medicine Woman!

This was based on a true story made up in my head.
Old 01-17-2007   #16
K.D.
Veteran

If AP is there, we will pick him. We need that constant threat in the backfield to keep the defense off-balance and this is what he would provide for us. I'm not worried about his durability bcz the guy gives his all every down and that's the kind of back Texans need. He might had injuries in the past, but who don't. The guy is a beast and has to reckoned with and we have to get this guy if available. If he is gone by #8, then we should concentrate on d-side of the ball. That's another subject though.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #17
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

I can't beleive some of the post I read. We are "stacked at the RB position"? That is so laughable I hated to repeat it. AP is "injury prone"? Give me a break... He has not blown out any knees, torn any ligaments, torn any cartlidges, but you call him injury prone... No one would ever have known about his sprained ankle if he wasn't a high profile running back. He was already a Heisman finalist and would have been there again this year but took a collar bone when attempting to show off in the end zone. Sorry, but that is laughable too. He is not, and never was "injury prone"... Please get your facts straight before making such laughable comments about a player of his caliber.

Many of us want him or Lynch, because the TEXANS NEED them, amongst other positions, but RB should be a high priority this year on everyone's list here...

And NO, I am not clueless...
Old 01-17-2007   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
I can't beleive some of the post I read. We are "stacked at the RB position"? That is so laughable I hated to repeat it. AP is "injury prone"? Give me a break... He has not blown out any knees, torn any ligaments, torn any cartlidges, but you call him injury prone... No one would ever have known about his sprained ankle if he wasn't a high profile running back. He was already a Heisman finalist and would have been there again this year but took a collar bone when attempting to show off in the end zone. Sorry, but that is laughable too. He is not, and never was "injury prone"... Please get your facts straight before making such laughable comments about a player of his caliber.

Many of us want him or Lynch, because the TEXANS NEED them, amongst other positions, but RB should be a high priority this year on everyone's list here...

And NO, I am not clueless...
The Texans have good maybe even great depth at RB. But they dont have a Star or Playmaker which is what exactly what AP and Marshawn Lynch are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #19
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
I don't think broken collarbones are reoccurring injuries.
No, but he's been out with other injuries in previous years. Shoulder, ankle, collarbone - what next?. I'm glad his knees are still healthy, but these varying injuries in college make him look brittle.
Old 01-17-2007   #20
DMars87
Rookie

AD is the premiere player at one of the premiere skill positions... a position which, no matter how you feel about our team, can definetly be upgraded. That being said, its only natural that he will be talked about. Would i be happy if we draft him, sure- hes a freak. Will i be upset if we dont, not really- there is a lot of great talent out there at positions we need. My vote is that we trade farther down into the first round (maybe with Denver at 21) and draft somebody like Lamar Woodley (sp?) or Paul Puzluzny (again sp?) Woodley can play OLB or DE and would Puz look good next to Ryans at LB... plus we could pick up some more picks later in the draft and with Smith and Kubes drafting who knows what they can turn a late draft pick into
DMars87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read